Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2018, 06:18 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For those that graduated HS before all of this zero tolerance/zero brains garbage anything you did that back then would've seen harmless at best or possible suspension at worst but nowadays you'd likely have had the cops called, arrested, possibly expelled etc.?

One thing I used to do was always carry a knife with me, one I kept sharpen too, but not for defense or to attack anyone, just for things like cutting up food, opening things, mostly misc stuff. Nowadays I have little doubt a teacher would see it, freak out and I'd have a whole squadron of SWAT officers pointing guns at me!
Late 80's-early 90's, fly over state small town.

Use to carry a Leatherman type multi-tool with me, so did lots of people.

It was not uncommon for people to have their shotguns or rifles in their trucks displayed in the back window during hunting season. You could even bring your gun into school into wood shop if you were doing someone with it like making a new stock or testing a gun cabinet you built, but of course the school had to give permission and there was some bright orange tag hung on the gun showing the school approved it.

Smoking would get someone in trouble, but just a stern talking to. Zero tolerance though if smoking inside school, that would get someone in trouble, maybe in school suspension if repeated occurrence.

Fighting would get someone in trouble only if it led to some injury or was serious in nature, general fighting was sort of "stop doing that here, do it after school off school grounds" attitude towards it.

You did not have to sit in the cafeteria during lunch, you could go to the library or even shoot hoops if gym available, but food was only allowed in cafeteria.

No real dress code, they had one but it was very general like no hats and nothing revealing and vulgar, but no code like what colors allowed, collared shirts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post

Another time a kid got a J.U.G. (Justice under God, the catholic school version of detention) for being a tattletale when he reported some students for smoking between classes.

What did you do during J.U.G.?

I hate rules against "tattling", since they encourage bullies. I remember one time, we had a substitute teacher who was the mother of a bully. Her only rule was "no tattling". That day, a bully pulled out the chair that a girl was sitting on, and made her fall and get hurt. The girl was written up for "tattling", but the bully was not written up at all.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I went to private (Catholic) schools from first grade through high school and some of the nuns should have been arrested and/or removed:

They hit boys over the head with books and yanked them by their ears;
They called girls "hussies" to their faces for wearing too short uniform skirts;
One nun made you stand in the broom closet in her class if you forgot to hand in your homework;
Another one smacked a girl across the butt with a piece of wood for talking back to her;
Told the girls that the boys would always be better in mathematics because girls didn't understand the subject very well; and
Asked all of the Irish kids to stand up and be given a round of applause on St. Patrick's Day and laughed when a black kid said that he had Irish relatives and got the whole classroom to laugh with her.

Those nuns sound horrible! Sounds like legalized child abuse. I wonder if any students from that school are still practicing Catholics. I am a practicing Catholic, but it seems that so many Catholic schools are hypocritical.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
7. They were more into finding a way to correct unacceptable behavior than dumping people in the CJ system or kicking them out of school. It was well known that if someone got put into the system, they were a lost cause and would end up in prison. Thus, they tended to try to handle things in house with punishments designed to fit the violation. Sometimes, I was required to do some punishment when there was no proof whatsoever we were involved. In some cases, we weren't even involved. The ultimate punishment (telling my Dad) was usually avoided.

Sounds like your school used a common sense approach to discipline, unlike schools today.

Old 01-11-2018, 07:33 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Wow, this is an amazing list. If I had done 1/10 of that, I'd have been expelled. Your school was very forgiving.
Yes these stories could make a great movie!

Old 01-11-2018, 07:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What would you say was the worst issue the school faced when you were there?

What were the punishments they applied to you? You're right about the ultimate punishment being telling your dad. We were lucky back then thathe communication with parents was harder so schools were less inclined to contact them for less serious issues.
Drugs and violence mostly. Pregnancy, and/or kids dropping out slightly less prevalent but a problem.

Punishments applied to me were mostly things like cleaning the school, fixing or painting things. Sitting in a desk for three hours after school staring at the wall, not allowed to talk or move, running laps until you vomited, doing push ups in front of the class for the entire class (and then being ridiculed by the teacher when you collapsed after 20 or so), sitting in the office all day (that was a weak punishment), cleaning something gross like the girls bathrooms or a locker room. Doing chores for the SAB (whom they knew I could not stand), losing lunch or free period. (Jr.s and seniors were allowed to take a "free period" the idea was to go to the library and study or go to the gym and work out. Mostly it was just hang out with your friends on the stage, or in a remote hallway). Sometimes we have to go into town and sweep out the gutters, or pick up sticks and trash in the drain/creek in the park behind the school. Paint over "graphitti" (no one really did graphitti as we know it today, but we the seniors painted their class logo and school colors on the chimney each year. Sometimes it got modified into something funny. Sometimes I and others were required to repaint it). One time we had to basically detail all the drivers ed cars. Some kids had to clean up all the butts in the smoking area. I never had to do that. When we picked up a cheerleaders little car, and placed it in sort of an outdoor hallway at the back entrance of the school so she could not get the doors open and everyone had to climb over her car to get out the back entrance, they made us follow her around and do whatever she asked of us for a week (carry her books, open doors, go to the cafeteria and get her some cookies whatever she asked). To me that was pure heaven, she was super cute and we ended up making out in the hallway for an hour one day (never went out though, she rolled her eyes and laughed when I asked her).

They would mostly contact parents through a note. You had to bring back the note signed by your parent. One day, I brought in a note from my mom and they called me out for forging it because it did not look like all the other notes where my sister had signed my mom's name. They rarely called your parents because usually no one was home when the school was open, and they did not want to stay late to call.

Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,809 times
Not sure this would have gotten me expelled, but probably suspended.

In our computer lab class, my classmate and I ran the deltree command on one of the computers, and it completely wiped it out. I was even brought in and questioned about it, but they had no proof, so nothing happened.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:08 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
The lockers had a small hole in them below the area where it latched and where the lock went. One day after school when no one was in the hallway, my friend and I lit matches and kept sticking them into the holes on random lockers until something inside one caught fire. When we saw smoke coming out, we took off.

A little while later we heard the call over the loudspeaker for a janitor to come with a fire extinguisher.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:56 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,915 times
I did a lot of stupid things back in HS that I definitely would have gone to jail for. Nothing like hurting anyone but just mischievous crap. I went back in the early 90's. And it was a different time. Sad most kids today won't have the fun we did back then.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:12 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
we use to go hunting after school so there was usually a rifle in the back window of the truck with the windows down and keys in the ignition, all day long, no mess mess with them. that was when other knew what private property was, you never mess with another vehicle

we also had a female english teacher that would tutor who ever ask, if you know what i mean, nobody cared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education