Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 02:58 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuny View Post
I'm the same way.

My basic arithmetic competence is absolutely abysmal. I seriously struggled with basic math until about 8th or 9th grade. Do not ask me to multiply 24 by 13 in my head or with only a pencil and paper. I can't do it. The same with long division (although I think that might be because I've never needed to do long division since grade school).

I aced high school math and got a respectable B in 1st year level trig and algebra.

I see what my first grader is doing now (no idea if it is common core or not), but I sure as heck wish that I was taught math that way when I was in first grade. My memories of math in the early grade was sitting there repeating all my multiplication tables until the whole class could parrot them back.
That's where the implementation piece imploded. Common Core was adopted for K-12 in one piece for all levels at the same time new books and methods were adopted with the concurrent tests.

So instead of building up from the bottom every kid in every grade had to switch gears.

Using Maryland as an example the Algebra I High School Assessment (passing required for graduation) typically taken in 9th Grade. So the kids came out of 8th having been trained and taught for the HSA and were thrown to the totally differently taught Common Core based PARCC test in 9th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's where the implementation piece imploded. Common Core was adopted for K-12 in one piece for all levels at the same time new books and methods were adopted with the concurrent tests.

So instead of building up from the bottom every kid in every grade had to switch gears.

Using Maryland as an example the Algebra I High School Assessment (passing required for graduation) typically taken in 9th Grade. So the kids came out of 8th having been trained and taught for the HSA and were thrown to the totally differently taught Common Core based PARCC test in 9th.
Now that's an interesting point and also supports questioning standardized tests. If the expected mathematical knowledge was the same (which the CC advocates here seem to be saying; that it's just a better way of teaching), and if the tests were actually testing the knowledge rather than the teaching method, then the scores should be the same regardless of which test is used.

Please note, I'm not disagreeing with you; just that what you pointed out has some interesting chains we could follow down.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:29 PM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Now that's an interesting point and also supports questioning standardized tests. If the expected mathematical knowledge was the same (which the CC advocates here seem to be saying; that it's just a better way of teaching), and if the tests were actually testing the knowledge rather than the teaching method, then the scores should be the same regardless of which test is used.

Please note, I'm not disagreeing with you; just that what you pointed out has some interesting chains we could follow down.
Scores on the Math PARCC (meaning students judged to be proficient) collapsed by at least ten percent the first year, I think the statewide average was 18%, in every single school system. From the highest performing ones (Calvert, Howard, and Montgomery Counties) to the lowest (Baltimore City, Prince George's and Somerset Counties).

High dudgeon all around. My (former) system blamed the teachers, the others noted that it was a new test and there would be wrinkles.

I am so damned glad I retired. And I taught Social Studies but everyone gets punished.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-25-2017 at 03:41 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 04:46 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christiner81 View Post
I like common core. It's very nice to know that what's expected of your child doesn't change even if you move to a new state.
i dont like how standardized testing is a big part of education.
i became good at learning how to fill in circles which took the class away from real subjects.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
BAD and I tell you why. Very few people have trouble with normal math.
Very few people have brains that will readily perform that common core type of figuring out math. I happen to be one who thinks totally screwed up and I get common core. I get it. It's how my brain handles numbers. I'm good at it out of necessity. But my brain doesn't work normally.

WHY IN THE HECK WOULD YOU TRY TO TEACH A CHILD TO THINK ABNORMALLY??? Be thankful that they can think normally.

Make the abnormals (like me) learn the RIGHT WAY. Don't force the normals to learn the abnormal way.

Someone needs to toss that crap out on its ear!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:53 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,879 times
My son is 6 and knows how to add, subtract, and mulitply, standard or patterned up to the thousands. He knows decimals and negatives. He knows some fractions and division up to 1, 2, 4 and 8 (pizzas). I am his Father. It is My Job to teach my son, regardless of the skill (or in the case of common core, lack of skill) of the teacher. As someone who is ...familiar with interrogative techniques... common core seems frighteningly similar to techniques used to encourage doubt and inconsistency, basically it almost seems designed to make you dumb but, the good teachers know to use it as a guideline and not as law. Let me hang up the tinfoil hat for a second because what is most important is that I love my son and, I like seeing him gain skill at stuff. We usually make a game about it and play together.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Very few people have trouble with normal math.
I'm gonna have to disagree there.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 PM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because half of the students graduating are below average in IQ.
Half the kids in all my classes had below average IQs. They could all read and write and add and subtract and write a check and pay bills and speak coherently when they left 12th grade.

It's not an IQ issue. Unless you're talking IQ of the "educator" class. Some of them are just idiots, some of them are there to wreak havoc so the USA does not have a thinking population.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
...I have found no political leaning differences in those who object to common core, as they understand the definition of it. Plenty, and I do mean plenty, of parents who are dealing with homework complain about the math. ...
First of all, I'm telling you my experiences since retiring. You're still back in the more education-savvy East, aren't you? I'm in a very different environment now -- staunchly conservative Colorado Springs. It's Trump country, and it's clearly anti-CC.

Second, Google Common Core Republican Party. Tons of articles there about how the GOP is now anti-CC and how it is another front in the culture wars.

Again, where you are may be a very different perspective. I understand that.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, I'm telling you my experiences since retiring. You're still back in the more education-savvy East, aren't you? I'm in a very different environment now -- staunchly conservative Colorado Springs. It's Trump country, and it's clearly anti-CC.

Second, Google Common Core Republican Party. Tons of articles there about how the GOP is now anti-CC and how it is another front in the culture wars.

Again, where you are may be a very different perspective. I understand that.
Not sure where you making that assessment from. While yes, Colorado Springs is strongly Republican by vote, it's a bit more Libertarian than classic conservative by thought process. But that said, the overall population is well educated, with many highly traveled and world savvy individuals in the population. The implication that they are somehow "less education savvy" than the east coast is misplaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education