Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 03:43 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Children struggle to hold pencils due to too much tech

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ch-doctors-say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Interesting article!

I don't think the nature of play hasn't changed. How parents choose to keep their children occupied has.

Totally the fault of these parents.

My older two are right-handed. #1 child had no issue with the Dynamic Tripod grasp. My #2 child did have an issue. We did not have any touch screen anything when #2 was little. I bought "corrective" pencil grips, suggested by his pre-k teacher, to help him figure out where to place his fingers. They either worked or he grew out of his "strange grip". My #3 child (just turned 10 years old) was given touch screen phones to play on when he was little. But only when we were out at one of his older brothers sporting events & all else had failed (he was still in a stroller). That didn't even work very long because he was too young to use the educational free apps I downloaded. Not in the house, not ever, to keep him "occupied". Crayons, colored pencils, sketch pads, glue, scissors, paint & an easel, construction paper, finger paints (oy!) legos, lincoln logs, hand puppets, erector sets, a play kitchen, a play "work bench"...the list goes on.

Yet his grip remains the Upright Tripod. I used the same corrective grips with him. No problem, but take them off? He reverts. But he's always been one who loves to color/paint/draw, so I don't believe lack of hand strength is the issue. On top of the fact that he started piano lessons at a very young age & is in his second year of playing the saxophone (my poor ears, but he's learning).

He is left-handed & tells me that if he holds his pencil or pen like he is supposed to? It smudges everything & gets his hand "dirty".

My dad is a lefty, in his 70's and has the same grip as my 10 year old lefty. My father takes whatever he is writing on and tilts it east/west. Bends his left arm & wrist to write...from the top down & sideways. My 10 year old keeps the paper north/south...bends only his wrist in to an awkward position to write.

So hard for me to explain & I'm probably explaining it all wrong.

I have seen many, many, many adults in their 40's use the Thumb Wrap grasp.

I only know of one person who used the 5 finger grasp, and that was my college boyfriend. That one is out of control. Yet he started on the college basketball team, his hands & fingers weren't "weak". No one corrected him when he was younger...and now he signs multi-million dollar contracts (his line of business & for the company he works for) with that weird grasp on a pen. I guess it really doesn't matter, in the long run?

Old 03-04-2018, 10:39 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
Weird. What about drawing?

All my kids were/are drawers, some more than others & for a few of them, drawing was their passion. My 14 year old is like that. He is Autistic & he hates writing but draws around 3 times a day. He was totally non-verbal until age 8 but was typing/keyboarding at age 4. Started drawing around age 6.

All of my younger ones are really good at digital drawing programs & they incorporate that along with the actual drawing but for all of them, the favorite tool is colored pencils.

Both my 14 year old & I have the “Autistic” grip (similar to the quadruped) but neither my 3rd oldest or I can write with pencils due to a sensory issue (sound/feel of pencil on paper is like nails on chalkboard).

We can write with pens all day long but I will develop callouses on my knuckles when required to write frequently, due to my unusual grip.

Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Interesting!

I'm going to forward to my OT colleagues and see if they're noticing this on their caseloads.

I have a young toddler who is not writing yet, but we color and draw together. He also doesn't do touchscreens, and does a lot of fine motor play...stacking blocks, magnets, puzzles, etc.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:11 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Yes. Technology moves at an ever increasing speed obliterating things we have used and relied upon for centuries. Pens and pencils at some point will become a curiosity displayed in a museum as odd and out of date as a stylus and a clay tablet.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:28 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
My handwriting was never much to begin with in the 1st place, its just gotten worse as I've moved over to keyboards & pads.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 991,344 times
^^ That. Being forced to use Dnealian in school didn't help either.

Old 03-06-2018, 02:39 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,735 times
Default Also breaking news...

Kids have lost the ability to use an abacus!

Old 04-13-2018, 08:49 PM

323 posts, read 222,239 times
No sorry i dont believe that..stupid..they still used crayons and markers! Come on!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:25 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,006,598 times
People in China and Japan are losing the ability to write most of their languages' complex logographic characters because keyboards do it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education