Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,121,934 times

Advertisements

Arithmetic in grade school (3rd & 4th grades in 1941 & 1942 respectively .)
Then more advanced Math in the last 4 yrs of grade school.

In high school(1st yr in Military Academy), Typing* by far the the most important in 1946/1947.....Then Latin in 1947/1948.

In college:...Business Administration & Economics (double major).

NO regrets, I 'd do it the same way over again today.

* I still have my:..Smith Carona manual from 1947!!!

Last edited by Montana Griz; 04-16-2018 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
high school math (algebra, trig, geometry, calculus, probability & statistics)

Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,633 times
All my Research Classes from Undergraduate to Graduate school.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:05 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,488,531 times
It's interesting how a lot of people say keyboarding/typing. I basically taught myself how to type, and have never typed in the traditional "home row" style they always teach in those classes. I basically came up with my own method just by doing it constantly, and can type pretty quickly and accurately.

Probably my most valuable class (or subject really), was/is English. It instilled in me a love of reading that has broadened my horizons on the world more they I can ever put into words. A close second would be the creative writing class I took my sophomore year of high school. The teacher was a young, kind of hippy dude who did poetry slam, listened to rap, and had backpacked across three continents. He inspired us little small town kids to think outside our isolated little corner of the world and to be free and creative with our lives. I never became a writer, but his inspiration literally gave me hope that I would one day get out of that small town to bigger and better things. I owe him a lot for that.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:07 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,166,341 times
Statistics as it started me down the path I ended up going down.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:20 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Oddly enough, not a class. A book.

I was hired as a draftsman back in the 70's. After a few days of, "This is how things works here" I was asked if I knew Trigonometry. I did not. I stopped at Geometry in school. I was then told that if I didn't I would not be retained.

So I went to a book store and bought Plane and Spherical Trigonometry. It had tests at the end of each chapter and answers in the back. I spent from Friday night to Sunday night reading and had my wife test me.

I went into work Monday and announced I knew trigonometry, which garnered a lot of laughter. So I told them to test me. They gave me some drawings and told me to figure out the missing dimensions. When I gave them back there was no more laughter. I solved every one.

That started a 22 year career which saw me go from a drafting board to managing over 200 computers worldwide, then a career as a computer consultant, which was the best job I ever had. It was just me and I had the nicest boss and a short commute.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Sewing. As a male that's an incredibly valuable lesson which has saved me $$$ by making several of my own items to wear and repair of other items I have bought cheap as they were damaged and on sale.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:10 PM

6,355 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Lingua Graeca est maxima sed Lingua Latina est omnium linguarum optima ac utilissima.
Almost figured the above out, but had to dump it into Google translate to make sure. Can't quite get the meaning of "maxima" in this context.

Now that I'm retired, I have some extra time to study subjects that I've put off for decades. Just started on Latin this past Saturday with one of The Great Courses series.

I rarely go somewhere where I know I'll be sitting while waiting without my Loeb's copy of De Officiis. It doesn't happen very often when I can get through more than a handful of pages before having to put the book down because my poor little brain is overloaded.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Almost figured the above out, but had to dump it into Google translate to make sure. Can't quite get the meaning of "maxima" in this context.

Now that I'm retired, I have some extra time to study subjects that I've put off for decades. Just started on Latin this past Saturday with one of The Great Courses series.

I rarely go somewhere where I know I'll be sitting while waiting without my Loeb's copy of De Officiis. It doesn't happen very often when I can get through more than a handful of pages before having to put the book down because my poor little brain is overloaded.
"Maxima lingua" means largest language, that is, the largest number of words. English is larger only if we include technical terms. "Maxima'' may also mean very large.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Study Hall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education