Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Typewriting, for the reasons mentioned. I love being able to touch type and feel confident that I won't make many errors, and when I do make errors (that are not the fault of C-D's auto correct ) I will notice it right away and can make the typing error correction.

Touch typing helped me in my university studies and later, in my career.

Thanks, Mom, for insisting I learn to type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 08:30 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,313,477 times
For me, possibly a college course on Comparative Politics. The professor was very charismatic and imparted a comprehensive, detailed, and non-ideological framework for understanding the world and myself within it. The lessons from that course still resonate with me to this very day.

As far as subjects go, the math and foreign language courses I took in high school and college had the greatest overall impact on me.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:40 PM

323 posts, read 221,967 times
I would have to second the OP and say typing class. I took it for 2 years in high school. I can still type perfectly fine without looking down, about 70 wpm.
I always remembered that when we were given typing tests, the teacher would always say quality versus quantity. Meaning no need to rush, just try to be accurate.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Probably my English classes in high school with a minister. He was critical to my academic and personal development, and has been a friend for over fifteen years.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,405 times
I would say my elective in High School, which was typing. I was taking academic courses (maths, languages) but took that as an elective... but I had already taught myself on an old manual typewriter and a very old typing book hanging around the house.

But really what has helped over the years most was English course I took I think 2nd year college. We focused on essays, letters, writing all sorts of themes, and I learned to think concisely and get those things down on paper so the reader would understand. Every time I have to put together something for our business I am thankful for this course.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:55 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Every kid in 7th grade was required to take typing, both boys and girls. They told us (rightly so) that high school teachers would not accept hand written term papers AND in college your mother wouldn't be there to type them for you! ALL of us had to type and it serves me well to this day.

But the class that was more important to me was Latin. Through Latin, I finally learned the mechanics of language. Finally I understood how the English language worked. Grammar had always been fun for me but now I really understood the basis of it, what it all meant, and it all made sense.

Latin helped a lot with English vocabulary and spelling too--it bailed me out many times. If I didn't know the answer, I would just ask myself what the Latin would have been. Abbreviations? I knew the meanings of them if they were in Latin and I understood how to write such things as "et al." (Period at the end because it's an abbreviation. No period for "et" because it's a complete word, that sort of minor dilemma that can crop up from time to time.)

(Not that it matters so much these days, but Latin was a huge help back in college and in my early working days. Now no one seems to care about grammar, spelling, or much else about language. I enjoy language and my favorite was Latin--and it still comes in handy from time to time.)

Old 04-13-2018, 11:02 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,274 times
Two... 1. Symbolic logic
..and 2. Mathematics of investment

oh yeah, 3. Statistics and Probability

Old 04-14-2018, 05:03 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Typing. Which is now keyboarding I think.

Told my sons they needed to take it in high school because it is a skill you will use in your daily life.
They did and thank me for it.

I will also say Math--we constantly are solving math problems in our every day lives.

Last edited by GiGi603; 04-14-2018 at 06:07 AM..

Old 04-14-2018, 02:17 PM

997 posts, read 710,182 times
Definitely English. I learned how to critically analyze all types of literature and how to write a good research paper. English opened many doors of interest to me and helped me in my career. I love to read and am a life-long library patron.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 PM

1,846 posts, read 831,952 times
High School-Intermediate Automotive: learned enough to somewhat know what was wrong with a car and what it would take to fix it, while being able to change or fix most common problems (saved a good bit of money).
College-Technical drafting: Wasn't to sure what career path I would choose until finally taking this class, so it was pretty darn important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education