Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times

Advertisements

Of course you can be intelligent without formal education. The ability to learn, understand, and to reason has nothing to do with schooling. People of low intelligence have trouble learning, understanding, and reasoning.

It's a no-brainer. sorry, couldn't resist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 02:21 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
It's a no-brainer. sorry, couldn't resist
That's delightfully terrible!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
It depends how you validate your equivalency of a non-college grad to a college grad.

Do you ask college grads, or do you ask your bank account?

I'm not here to be the smartest, or most noble. I'm here to make money and help others.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:28 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One needs some amount of formal education to be literate, do basic math, and other common tasks.
Generally I agree, however some folks are known to be home schooled and/or have private tutors.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:34 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Generally I agree, however some folks are known to be home schooled and/or have private tutors.
That still falls under the blanket of "formal education," as long as the instructor/parent is following state standards... it's just not a "traditional" or classroom education.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:37 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
My grandmother--a farm wife in 1925 with an eighth-grade education--taught all six of her children to read and do basic arithmetic before they were six years old. They all went on to college, most becoming teachers, two of them earning PhDs.

And then she taught me reading and basic arithmetic before I started school.

I didn't know any of that until I was an adult--to me, she had always been the very canny financial manager of the family, keeping books for my grandfather's business.

A matter of wringing all she could out of that eight years of school.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
I never said it was a typo. I implied that the statement still stands regardless if its billions or millions.

The point is there are many highly intelligent people out there with no formal education.

Your formal education clearly failed to teach you that, mine didn’t.
And your point is off by three orders of magnitude. That’s a factor of a thousand. One would think that someone bemoaning how intelligent people are without an education would be somewhat chagrined to make such a mistake. Apparently that is my mistake.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Frankly I’m surprised that so many that self-identify as intelligent and highly educated have been roped into this circular argument for 10 pages and counting.

I take it back; i’m not.
It is also painfully evident no one is working on a single, same definition of formal education. I am guilty as there rest presuming a formal education to specifically refer to a college education.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 PM

715 posts, read 1,073,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My grandmother--a farm wife in 1925 with an eighth-grade education--taught all six of her children to read and do basic arithmetic before they were six years old. They all went on to college, most becoming teachers, two of them earning PhDs.

And then she taught me reading and basic arithmetic before I started school.

I didn't know any of that until I was an adult--to me, she had always been the very canny financial manager of the family, keeping books for my grandfather's business.

A matter of wringing all she could out of that eight years of school.
Yep. My father only went up to the sixth grade in education, but he was the one who taught me both reading and math at a very young age. Because of him and his early teachings, I was always ahead. I became the first in the family to graduate college.

Speaking to him, you would never know that he had so little education. He spoke intelligently and with a vocabulary as if he was further educated. Other than the Bible and newspapers, he didn’t do much other reading. He listened to AM talk radio instead of music stations. He had a good mind for business, understood basic economics, and was very observant politically. He wasn’t perfect, but definitely more intelligent than his education would dictate.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:34 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,299 times
Autodidact [aw-toh-dahy-dakt]

(noun) 1. a person who has learned a subject without the benefit of a teacher or formal education; a self-taught person.

If you have ever taught yourself anything, you are an autodidact in that subject.

Some people are autodidacts in general, having taught themselves enough to encompass a broad education.

5 Myths About Being an Autodidact – Etale – Education, Innovation, Experimentation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education