Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 1,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
OP, I work at a college and actually am chair of my department this year. If you asked me for an exception due to your circumstances, I would be very likely to grant it -- so I wish you luck.

=====

One quick thing, though -- in this thread you appear to be writing under 2 different names (you started out "wind3d" but became "wavewrangler" in post #4, then stayed that for a couple of posts, then went back to "wind3d"). Just a heads-up that that can be confusing when people are trying to understand the posts in a thread; C-D also frowns on this (i.e. one person having more than 1 account). So for clarity's sake, please use only 1 name in a particular thread!
Thanks for pointing that out! My uncle referred me to this website when he was visiting, and I guess he saved his credentials on my laptop when he logged in to show me. I didn't even notice! I have multiple computers, so I'm guessing what happened is I replied from my laptop under his credentials, then my desktop under mine. I'll keep an eye on it from now on. Better yet, I'll remove his login credentials altogether. Thanks again.

Further, I hope my school is as understandable as you seem to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavewrangler View Post
Initially, I was a transfer student. I was going to the CC because their classes are so much cheaper than the university in the same town, and the classes transfer over to any school in the country, no problem. North Carolina schools especially, though. I can't remember the name, but it's an agreement all the CCs have with the state schools. Not sure if it's like that in other states.
The key point here where people get caught in catch 22 is that while the classes transfer, that does not mean they meet the pre-reqs. The reason I bring this point up so often is I had friends and my daughter had friends, who got caught in the pre-req trap and cost them an extra year of school. In fact, it almost happened to my daughter who had a real last minute scramble to fit a pre-req in. Don't know if this will apply to you, but I just hate for anyone to get caught in that situation.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The key point here where people get caught in catch 22 is that while the classes transfer, that does not mean they meet the pre-reqs. The reason I bring this point up so often is I had friends and my daughter had friends, who got caught in the pre-req trap and cost them an extra year of school. In fact, it almost happened to my daughter who had a real last minute scramble to fit a pre-req in. Don't know if this will apply to you, but I just hate for anyone to get caught in that situation.
Yes, I completely understand where you're coming from. I think the first thing a student needs to really learn is how to register for their own classes, instead of relying on an adviser to do it for them. Have an adviser double check it. My classes were always back to back, while other students taking the same major as me, would wait around 6 hours for their next class (the same class,) because they didn't know there was an earlier class and their adviser never advised them of such. I don't know if that's on the adviser or the student, or if it's a shared responsibility.

Anyways, what I'm getting to, is when you register for your own classes, and have it double checked by an adviser, it requires you to really be involved and aware of pre-reqs and greatly reduces the risk of what you're describing (and I'm facing) of happening.

Even advisers screw up, though, and there's nothing the adviser can do at that point. No winners there! What got me, is I fell into a false sense of security, being so used to just the registration deadline. I wasn't aware Health Sciences was its own animal, it wasn't on my radar. Not an excuse, just an example of how easily it can happen, no matter how studious you are about your schedule.

Heck, I spoke with the Dean of Arts and Sciences personally (she was just the only person available that day, had no idea) and we had a nice long, healthy conversation about switching over to Health Sciences. We said our good byes, and she let the Health Sciences dept. know I was on my way, and 5 minutes later is when I was informed about that pesky deadline. Even the dean a building over didn't know about it.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:19 PM

For anyone interested as to the outcome, I was declined both further discussion and a waiver. The reasoning was, I would not be able to complete the orientation process. I asked what the orientation process entails, and was told, quote: "Orientation involves all the steps you have to complete to get prepared to enroll and cleared for clinical…things like medical clearance, immunizations, criminal background checks, drug screen, meeting with advisor to create educational plan, etc."

All of which can obviously be completed during my summer classes, but it's clear she doesn't want to grant me a waiver. Hey, I tried. I feel like if I push it further, she'll make note of my name and pull strings to get me disqualified for next year. I sensed a high degree of those sort of politics when I saw them in person. They have their favorites, a lot of the health students I took previous classes with have parents that went to high school with those running the program, etc. I'm just speculating, of course.

Thanks for all of the input, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education