Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 06:00 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I remember talking to a high school student a few years go, about the program in his "English" classes. Usually, "English" courses are mainly about literature, and writing about literature. In his school, "English" seemed to be about media.

Assignments required making a Power Point presentation in class, doing film projects for youtube, and the like. I guess it's important to master those media, and to devise a good, coherent and creative presentation, but....don't they read actual books anymore, and do written essays or term papers on literature? Is that gradually being de-emphasized?
In my experience as the parent of a rising sophomore, no, reading actual books and writing papers is not being de-emphasized. Even in a STEM focused school, my kid has mandatory literature and writing classes.

I would assume a class that emphasized media was an elective that may have been taught in the English department. I would not assume that it replaced a more traditional literature/language arts class but was an adjunct to those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 08:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
So, let's say the power goes out for 3 - 4 weeks - where does that leave the younger generations in their ability to survive? (Note: Don't include suicide because they can't post selfies or videos of themselves.)

Old 07-06-2019, 09:33 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
It would make them dependent on the older generation that had the good sense to prepare.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:19 AM

43,145 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, let's say the power goes out for 3 - 4 weeks - where does that leave the younger generations in their ability to survive? (Note: Don't include suicide because they can't post selfies or videos of themselves.)
Well they would do what they did when Hurricane Sandy hit NYC....they hunted down places with generators so they could "plug in". Forget food and water...where's the power plug.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:01 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well they would do what they did when Hurricane Sandy hit NYC....they hunted down places with generators so they could "plug in". Forget food and water...where's the power plug.
Really? That really happened?

Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,598,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Recently discussed this as my grand child is entering the modern curriculum.
Correct: long form math is no longer encouraged or instructed.
Cursive writing...nope. kids are given in 1st grade a chrome book . They now do basic instruction on using the mouse and opening programs.
Typing by old keyboard ...nope.

While reading in its basic form is necessary to read the screen. No longer do they have etymology of words...or phonics. My grand kid can tell you what the emojis mean but not spell the word "happy" . Because the emojis does the expression.

Forget about fractions.

My grand son is entering 11th grade. His upbringing on cars is....Someone will buy me a triple A membership...so why do I need to know how to change a tire. He seriously thinks us elders are archaic in this world of technology.

While I marvel at modernization ....technology. I still think something was cast to the side to get there. Reading comprehension ....the journey to knowledge has lost its zest. Instantaneous answers ....via Internet searches.

There will come a time, when all the computerized and automated systems will crash and they will have to rely on all the old, obsolescent coots to keep the necessities up and running. The folks who can do calculations with a pencil and paper or even in their heads, will be in demand again.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:45 AM

341 posts, read 285,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

What else?
Fun thread.

The rotary phone video was awesome.

Record players.
VCR
I don't know my kids' phone numbers.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:24 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The folks who can do calculations with a pencil and paper or even in their heads, will be in demand again.

It must be hell on teachers these days with the zillion ways kids can now cheat.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM

531 posts, read 453,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Assignments required making a Power Point presentation in class

I was going to say they won't have to do those cheesy Power Point presentations where you point with a stick at the wall (as Dilbert put it). I guess I was wrong.

They won't have to figure out how to use an overhead projector and keep the pictures from coming out upside down.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:16 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's actually better to print out your envelope rather then use cursive.
The younger workers at the PO can't read cursive and leave it piled until someone who can read cursive comes along. This was told to me by my postal carrier right before she retired.

Since then I've printed on all my envelopes.

LOL That work is done by sorting machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education