Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,675,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Things young children of today will not need to learn:
  • How to dial a rotary telephone
  • How to change the channels on a TV without a remote control
  • How to dodge a hunting Pterodactyl
  • How to use a party line telephone

Wow, I'm 64 and never encountered a party line telephone. I don't think they were an option in the small town where I grew up since the late 1950s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 10:05 PM

254 posts, read 281,467 times
I learned about party lines back in the mid-80's. I was probably 8 & visiting visiting a great aunt & uncle and got in a ton of trouble for answering the phone. I later learned with the other ring tones, my great aunt would wait about 15 seconds and then pick up the phone with the mouth piece covered so she could listen in.

The cabin we rent for vacations in the Texas Hill Country has a party line, so they still exist. So my kids know about them even though most of their peers aren't familiar with the concept of even having a landline.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
They may not NEED to learn cursive but it would help if they did. I've noticed that they can't even print either. I find the demise of writing to be frightening. Back to caveman days. We've had writing for a long, long spell of human existence.

If they ever need to read something historical or do some research or know much about anything they are going to encounter writing--and not always machine printed. Anyway, as a former teacher, it's no big deal to teach someone to write. Teaches coordination too. If they can't use a pencil, will they be able to use a paint brush if they wanted to become an artist? Or is art going to be done by machine too? Seems that it will be extremely limiting to not know how to use a pen or pencil and to be able to write even a word.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 PM

3,626 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They may not NEED to learn cursive but it would help if they did. I've noticed that they can't even print either. I find the demise of writing to be frightening.
You got me thinking of a young acquaintance I know at the local horse racing track.

If you've ever been to a racetrack, you know that horseplayers are scribbling and scrawling all over their programs/Racing Forms. They're circling speed figures, workout figures, and the trouble line; and most importantly, they're noting their own commentary: "Not at today's distance," "Drops in class," "Should finish in money," "Tab for later," "Subject to bounce?" and similar.

My acquaintance is probably about early to mid-30s, and well-educated, as I understand things from our chats when we choose not to play a race. Yet while I (almost 60 years old) easily make notes such as the above, he struggles to do the same thing. He notes his program with what looks like a child's attempt at printing, and it seems to be an effort for him to do so. Often, he falls back on simple symbols, such as a question mark, or a checkmark.

As I said, he is intelligent and educated, but he cannot write with a pen or pencil to save his life. Given his age, I don't know if he is of the generation where "keyboarding" in school was emphasized over handwriting, but it would not surprise me. Writing easily by hand is something we should all be able to do, especially when quick notes must be made.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 AM

554 posts, read 684,679 times
I've heard that cursive is actually easier for people with fine motor challenges and/or dysgraphia. I HATED cursive myself, but it was interesting to hear that for individuals whose fine motor skills are less developed, the continuous motion is less difficult than the start and stop motion of printing.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I've heard that cursive is actually easier for people with fine motor challenges and/or dysgraphia. I HATED cursive myself, but it was interesting to hear that for individuals whose fine motor skills are less developed, the continuous motion is less difficult than the start and stop motion of printing.
Cursive is considerably faster than printing. It is critical for taking notes. I can still write a little faster than I can type, but printing? Maybe 1 20th the speed.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:03 PM

2,559 posts, read 2,221,309 times
Back in the Stone Age, shorthand was actually an elective subject in high school.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,596,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Houston now had self-driving Pizza delivery and grocery delivery and Texas Southern University is rolling out a self-driving Bus.
Doesn't do much good when you want to go somewhere other than Texas Southern University. These pilot projects are proof of concept only and don't represent mass availability of self-driving vehicles to a typical consumer. Other cities may start to have self-driving ubers/taxis, but again you and I cannot BUY a self-driving car. This is troublesome to those of us who saw just how much product quality, longevity, and reliability have deteriorated after cable boxes and versions of Windows started being things that we cannot own and are thus forced to rent. We are already in a very damaging culture of "Upgrade now, OR ELSE....".

Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
It is not a technology change it is an affluence change 46 % of current Americans work
We pay foreigners to come here and do the things you listed

Old 06-23-2019, 12:52 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,711,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They may not NEED to learn cursive but it would help if they did. I've noticed that they can't even print either. I find the demise of writing to be frightening. Back to caveman days. We've had writing for a long, long spell of human existence.
Caveman days?

Agriculture, domestication of animals, and cities - all developments well after 'caveman days' - were present many thousands of years before the first writing was developed (Egypt and Sumeria, about 5000 years ago). After that, writing remained the domain of a minority of people even in the most advanced societies until the last several hundred years.

Anyway, literacy matters. The ability to convey content in messages matters. The means of the creation of those messages? Not so much. Lots of ancient scripts were not flowing (ie, cursive). The original of Beowulf, dating to around the year 1000, is not in a flowing script but in hand-printed individual letters. Neither Sumerian cuneiform nor Egyptian heiroglyphs were cursive.

Finally, what was the entire point of cursive writing? Speed. Not having to constantly life pen from paper allowed a scribe to produce more words per minute. The reason cursive has fallen by the wayside is that keyboarding does the same thing - it allows vastly faster input than writing. Writing changes. The Romans abandoned allcaps (before they invented lower case letters, they used only what we know call capital letters). The Germanic peoples abandoned their various runic alphabets in favor of the Latin alphabet. We've abandoned the quill in favor of the pen. None of these things were dire portents of linguistic collapse.

There's simply no need for cursive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education