Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times

Advertisements

One thing that I grew up with was Saturday school which was around 20 or 30 bucks a month. In areas that aren't predominantly Asian American I find it difficult to notice Saturday school signs for the children. This makes it difficult for me to look at neighborhoods outside of NYC proper.

Saturday schools in rich, predominantly white neighborhoods are prohibitively expensive and seen as a place for students that are failing courses. But where do the regular students who are African American, Latino and Caucasian go if their parents make 30 or 40K?

Where do non Asian American, working class families that live in communities where the average income is under 40K, send their kids for Saturday school to prepare for exams like NYC's SHSAT, as well as for general educational help? Do people rely on websites like Khan Academy? Are they mostly linked to churches and religious groups?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 05:03 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Saturday school? Huh? I've never heard of such a thing, and I'd never opt for it for my own kids even if it were offered in my area. Even the boarding schools we've looked at for our oldest don't have school on Saturday.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:44 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Saturday school where I grew up was punishment, lol. Those who skipped school or was late too many times, had to do Saturday school.

But damn, good god, to volunteer to do it is crazy, so much to do in the world, cannot imagine spending yet another day in school.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:18 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
OP, are you aware that in the US, Saturday school is only an Asian thing? (Or maybe I'm speaking out of turn, in Central Texas, it's only an Asian thing. It's much much harder than "regular" school, and the elementary students who attend are expected to pack a full week of Asian language learning into a Saturday. It's a relief for them to return to regular public school on Monday.)

Other ethnicities don't do that.

Except, as you note, for kids who need extra tutoring because they're behind academically and their parents can afford/care enough to get them tutoring on Saturdays.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:48 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
One thing that I grew up with was Saturday school which was around 20 or 30 bucks a month. In areas that aren't predominantly Asian American I find it difficult to notice Saturday school signs for the children. This makes it difficult for me to look at neighborhoods outside of NYC proper.

Saturday schools in rich, predominantly white neighborhoods are prohibitively expensive and seen as a place for students that are failing courses. But where do the regular students who are African American, Latino and Caucasian go if their parents make 30 or 40K?

Where do non Asian American, working class families that live in communities where the average income is under 40K, send their kids for Saturday school to prepare for exams like NYC's SHSAT, as well as for general educational help? Do people rely on websites like Khan Academy? Are they mostly linked to churches and religious groups?
There are a lot of test preparation programs all over for the "middle class." More affluent students get private tutoring for the SAT, SHSAT, etc. There's also those "learning center" places like Sylvan or Huntington for the younger through high school aged kids. There's lots of tutoring where I live on weekdays and weekends.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
When I was in high school the Polish and Lithuanian boys went to schools for their cultures and languages on Saturdays.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:28 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Saturday school where I grew up was punishment, lol. Those who skipped school or was late too many times, had to do Saturday school.

But damn, good god, to volunteer to do it is crazy, so much to do in the world, cannot imagine spending yet another day in school.
This is one of the things I thought of when I saw Saturday school mentioned. When I was in high school, it was for the kids who were either failing and needed extra time to study, or had gotten into serious trouble, for whom routine punishment after school was deemed insufficient.

The other instance of Saturday school that I remember was for Japanese kids whose fathers were on temporary assignment in the US to attend a different school on Saturday to maintain their Japanese language education for when they returned to Japan.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
HERE YA GO! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847...?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Old 03-16-2019, 06:55 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Now that's the ultimate Saturday school! No detention I ever served was anything like what was shown in The Breakfast Club!

Old 03-16-2019, 10:29 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are a lot of test preparation programs all over for the "middle class." More affluent students get private tutoring for the SAT, SHSAT, etc. There's also those "learning center" places like Sylvan or Huntington for the younger through high school aged kids. There's lots of tutoring where I live on weekdays and weekends.
Where do you live Coney? It may be dependent on region. I've seen signs for tutoring in housing project complexes' community centers, as well as libraries, but it seemed sporadic. Did you attend these growing up?

Yeah, if I didn't live in an area where traditional Saturday school was accessible I would look into these options if I had a kid going into 1st or 2nd grade, and then have them transition to SAT prep at an older age.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 03-16-2019 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education