Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:05 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,776,763 times

Advertisements

Never heard of such a thing until I ran across this article about how one Houston high school is banning badly dressed parents from school premises:

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...Dress+Code.pdf

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/3556044002/

There are undoubtedly badly dressed parents everywhere, but it seems to me that it's a victory to get a lot of parents to show up at all for school events, parent-teacher meetings, and the like. A minister once told me, "I don't care what people wear when they come to church. I care that they come." I feel the same way about schools.

Although you wonder what's going one when the school sends out a letter saying, "...Dresses that are up to your behind will not be permitted on the premises" and "Short, shorts that are up to your behind will NOT be permitted..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Although you wonder what's going one when the school sends out a letter saying, "...Dresses that are up to your behind will not be permitted on the premises" and "Short, shorts that are up to your behind will NOT be permitted..."
Well, Principal Carlotta Outley Brown is in the trenches so presumably she knows what's going on. And from her name it sounds like she herself is a member of the community and is trying to help these young parents make good choices and be good role models for their kids. Good for her.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:29 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
LOL at the USA Today article. Cannot comply with the dress code??? That was a long list. I wonder which ones.

Reading the letter itself, aside from the poor comma use in the first sentence, she just wants parents to look clean and mannered, not disheveled. I can't really blame her. Hair rollers, booty shorts, saggy pants, undershirts? This is definitely a case of "This place is for my children, not me, so how I look doesn't matter." I'm sure if there was something that they were involved with at the school, they would look better, like going to the school to meet the teacher or the principal or even to a PTA meeting or a fundraising dinner. But if it's just pick up or drop off, that's why they dress like that.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:26 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
Some things cannot be unseen. That's my guess as to why... so modesty and it may also be a concern of gang related stuff. I think there is a also a possibility that some people simply don't understand what is considered negative attire. I know the shower caps and silk 'bonnets' were on the list as were stretch pants that didn't have a shirt to cover the bottom. What about ball caps to cover dirty or uncombed hair. I know a lot of parents wear pajamas for drop-off.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:01 PM

561 posts, read 324,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Some things cannot be unseen. That's my guess as to why... so modesty and it may also be a concern of gang related stuff. I think there is a also a possibility that some people simply don't understand what is considered negative attire. I know the shower caps and silk 'bonnets' were on the list as were stretch pants that didn't have a shirt to cover the bottom. What about ball caps to cover dirty or uncombed hair. I know a lot of parents wear pajamas for drop-off.
"Most of the parents likely cannot afford to comply with this dress code," Woods' tweet reads.

I'm hard pressed to believe that covering your assets is a financial issue. I do think banning pajama pants etc is dumb. Yes, it's not classy but they are not applying for jobs at the school they are just dropping off kids or talking to a teacher. As someone else said, why give more reasons for parents not to participate. As long as they aren't hanging out of it then it should be ok.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I remember one time when I missed the bus back in the 1960s, my mom threw a trench coat over her nightgown and robe and took me to school. Now if she'd been in an accident, she would have probably been embarrassed, but she got me there and back OK and she didn't go into the school. I might take issue with an item or two on this list, but I really don't have a problem with a dress code for being inside the school or at sporting events outside (football, soccer, baseball, softball, lacrosse, field hockey games, etc.).

Old 04-24-2019, 04:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,590 times
I came across this article at work this morning and was cringing hard. They even had the Black Lives Matter people up there calling the policy racist and then saying how the parents can't afford to dress decently right after (which should offend the parents even more). It was a hot mess!

I'm generally a pretty liberal person but I'm all for this dress code. Try to carry yourself at least halfway decent when you're anywhere in public. I have the fortune of working in the crap part of the city and I see all these sloppy nasty-looking tacky women out in public with those things on their head shouting at people on their phones...its so gross and it makes me wanna vomit. You don't have to be like the Dutchess of Cambridge but dann...at least show a little bit of class.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-24-2019 at 04:48 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
"The day my momma socked it to the Harper Valley PTA..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZPBUu7Fro

Last edited by Zymer; 04-24-2019 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Speeling...

Old 04-25-2019, 06:05 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Wow. Sad that the things on this list would ever need to be mentioned. I grew up very poor but we still had dignity and decency in public.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:27 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,295,317 times
I wasn't able to get through the entire USA Today video,but here is is a Houston link to the story and a mom who wasn't dressed appropriately. I think she needs pants.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/m...J5p0pugwdPQfxw

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-25-2019 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education