Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
This is consistent with the research on radical acceleration, where researchers interviewed folks as adults who, as kids, skipped multiple grades and started college early.

Yet similar research, which studied early teens who were already in college found that they had two groups of friends, their age matched peers and their intellectual peers.

Human beings are complex!
Know your kids, know your objectives for them. (Sufficiently educated and equipped for a long and rewarding life)

There are many great ways to socialize your kids to equip them for life, far greater advantage to socialize them outside a peer age and race group. Fortunately, they won't be having to hang around 30+ peers (clones) of same age group ever again when they escape the terrifically failed traditional USA age segregated edu system. .

Hurrah! Let me outta here!

I've raised too many pigs, sheep, cattle, and chickens to stick my own kids in an age segregated holding pen for 12 yrs. Then release them to the slaughter. (Competition of real life)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 07:20 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,508,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Know your kids, know your objectives for them. (Sufficiently educated and equipped for a long and rewarding life)

There are many great ways to socialize your kids to equip them for life, far greater advantage to socialize them outside a peer age and race group. Fortunately, they won't be having to hang around 30+ peers (clones) of same age group ever again when they escape the terrifically failed traditional USA age segregated edu system. .

I've raised too many pigs, sheep, cattle, and chickens to stick my own kids in an age segregated holding pen for 12 yrs. Then release them to the slaughter. (Competition of real life)
Yes, IMHO, our education system has been stuck in a rut for decades. Out of fear of something (readers, ideas?) we've developed a system dangerously close to "one size fits all" with a focus on bringing up the bottom while the top drifts. That's coupled with an institutional focus that ignores (denies?) the fact that ability varies. So the stronger learners are left to themselves. Yes, better school districts have their "gifted" programs. Unfortunately, those are constantly under attack as too discriminatory (as if life is not?) and the programs are mostly a sop to vocal taxpayers anyway. They're rarely structured in a way that takes advantage of research for strong learners, and arguably don't do much more than provide bragging rights to a few parents. Worse is the movement that says "everybody is gifted"...

Is it any wonder that the US does poorly in the PISA tests? We ignore our better students...

Old 11-17-2020, 09:31 AM

50,842 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraSalgado View Post
Hello. My daughter is 6. She is attending 1st grade at a Vanguard public school (considered top public). Since K she has been telling us she is not being challenged, she is spending many hours at school (whatever the way of delivering it these days) but not learning new things and getting bored. She is a strong reader, advanced in maths for her grade, also likes science and drawing. What options do I have? We have been in Houston for only 3 years, so I have no previous knowledge. How can a child who is 1 or 2 grades ahead of her peers keep on growing and learning? Top private? TH Rogers? On line? Homeschooling? Thank you all.
Are the highlighted attributes based on your observations and interpretations, or based on the observations and interpretations of professionals?

Old 11-17-2020, 11:31 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

The issue of skipping grades aside, in HS kids are free to set up their own schedule for 4 years, aside from a required homeroom component possibly, and the required English and math classes. They can get creative with their schedules, so they have some classes with older kids, and as they become the older kids, they can take classes with younger kids, or take classes at the local CC or university. In summers or after school, they can have jobs or volunteer work, that places them among college students and/or adults. Some summer camps are set up to mix age groups for the activity choices. There are a number of ways kids can create a diverse environment for themselves outside of school.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The issue of skipping grades aside, in HS kids are free to set up their own schedule for 4 years, ...There are a number of ways kids can create a diverse environment for themselves outside of school.
Agree..

such as #1 choice... Don't go to "school" (A dreadfully slow way to learn(?))

HS? How about setting your own schedule that does not include attending a traditional school? A great choice for thousands of USA students. (thank goodness for that opportunity)

USA has a lot of freedoms for students / learning methods, but the 'norm' is really not internationally competitive and is doing a social disservice to our subsequent generations.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:12 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
I was bored to death grades 3-5.

I weathered the storm by reading every single biography in my elementary school library.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:53 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,527,026 times
This happened to me when I was a kid. But I loved school socially. My parents told my teachers to give me more challenging work a couple of times. But they mainly decided to provide enrichment for me through a few extracurriculars. They decided not to have me be skipped again and I am so glad - I was able to stay #1 in my class all the way through and have fun doing it, and stay with kids my own age.

I would say some schools that have a great reputation that doesn't mean they are the best fit for your child. Another with a less elite reputation might provide more enrichment and opportunities that fit your kid. Reputation isn't everything.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:39 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's the life lesson to be learned, from being punished for "getting ahead of the class", simply by virtue of innate ability?
That you sometimes have to toe the line and bide your time.

A valuable lesson I may add. I see this as no different than all kids having to do the same boring P.E drills even though one among them might be much more athletically gifted than the others. Or a future Grammy winner singing in a choir with future everymen.

If your child is that much smarter/ stronger/ somehow better than most kids, it will be obvious to all soon enough. What may be an important lesson for gifted kids to learn, is that sometimes- that fact, isn't the point.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:12 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
That you sometimes have to toe the line and bide your time.

A valuable lesson I may add. I see this as no different than all kids having to do the same boring P.E drills even though one among them might be much more athletically gifted than the others. Or a future Grammy winner singing in a choir with future everymen.

If your child is that much smarter/ stronger/ somehow better than most kids, it will be obvious to all soon enough. What may be an important lesson for gifted kids to learn, is that sometimes- that fact, isn't the point.
All very true.

A friend had an autistic kid who was advanced in math. She got so down on his teacher for drilling math facts to the entire class. This kid had no friends, but she harped on his boredom in math class.

So yes, it's an important lesson to learn that some kids are better in math, some kids have better social skills, some kids are better singers, etc. We are all different. We need to learn how to work together in spite of our differences. We need to value each other too.

Most kids do have outside supplemental intellectual pursuits. Robotics clubs are great and have nationwide competitions. Within public schools, there is no way to accommodate young artists. Kids with serious art talent have private lessons outside of school. Some schools may offer choir or instrument lesson. A musically gifted student needs private lessons as well. There is no reason why violin lessons or supplemental reading can not fill a void.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education