Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 12:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,103,996 times

Advertisements

What degree, diploma, or cert programs can be completed entirely or mostly online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 12:46 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
What degree, diploma, or cert programs can be completed entirely or mostly online?
Quite a few! I am an independent college and career counselor. Please tell me what your interests are.

In terms of a degree, unless you have previous college, it's virtually impossible to get a BA/S - or even an associate degree, within a year.

However, there are many diploma and certificate programs that can be accomplished entirely online within one callender year or 14 months.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

In terms of a degree, unless you have previous college, it's virtually impossible to get a BA/S - or even an associate degree, within a year.
An associates is pretty much possible in a year through COSC, Excelsior or TESU if you CLEP out of everything.

15 years ago I did 120 credit hours in around 15 months via examination (CLEP, DSST, ECE, TECEP) at Excelsior. I could have done it in 12 but had a full time job and didn’t push myself too hard. Plus I had to plan the logistics of taking all these exams, something like 32 or 33 in total. I also planned the path so I ended up with a 4.0 GPA (some exams were P/F).

It may not be possible today to do exactly what I did due to new capstone requirements but should be close. 2 years is certainly doable.

But - and this is a big but - they’re not “online” in that I had to go to testing centers. If taking all online classes I agree with you.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:11 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
An associates is pretty much possible in a year through COSC, Excelsior or TESU if you CLEP out of everything.

15 years ago I did 120 credit hours in around 15 months via examination (CLEP, DSST, ECE, TECEP) at Excelsior. I could have done it in 12 but had a full time job and didn’t push myself too hard. Plus I had to plan the logistics of taking all these exams, something like 32 or 33 in total. I also planned the path so I ended up with a 4.0 GPA (some exams were P/F).

It may not be possible today to do exactly what I did due to new capstone requirements but should be close. 2 years is certainly doable.

But - and this is a big but - they’re not “online” in that I had to go to testing centers. If taking all online classes I agree with you.
You are certainly "the exception to the rule". You were obviously very motivated and you were aware of programs that allow students to "test out" of certain courses. What you accomplished is rare, but believe it or not, I've heard of a couple of others who obtained a Bachelors the way that you did.

Yes, there are capstone requirements now.

Also, from what they wrote, it seems that the poster isn't necessarily looking for a degree, but a certificate that leads to a career.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:18 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You are certainly "the exception to the rule". You were obviously very motivated and you were aware of programs that allow students to "test out" of certain courses. What you accomplished is rare, but believe it or not, I've heard of a couple of others who obtained a Bachelors the way that you did.

Yes, there are capstone requirements now.

Also, from what they wrote, it seems that the poster isn't necessarily looking for a degree, but a certificate that leads to a career.
It’s rare, but as you said, not unprecedented. I got inspiration in 2003 from bain4weeks.com, which is still “up” despite being woefully out of date.

As to certs, the best ones to get online are IT ones, such as Amazon AWS or Cisco networking. They can lead to a career without a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education