Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

My mom said I'm gifted and she's the only person I'll listen to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Here are a number of defintions of "gifted".

NAGC - What is Giftedness?

I have read elsewhere that giftedness supposedly occurs in about 2% of the population, while several of these definitions say 10%. Regardless, schools with 40-50% of students in "gifted" programs are over-identifying. (Something I have read about on these forums.)

OTOH, I think some kids get missed. I said over on the tracking thread that neither of my kids was ever identified as gifted, though I will add here the school's perception of their academic skills seemed to go up as they got older. I don't think they got smarter, I think elementary teachers tend to identify the uber-outgoing kids as "gifted" more often than the quiet, shy ones, which my kids were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I don't think they are over-identified all that often. Mostly, I don't think parents want to have gifted children - they want comfortably above average children. They do however want their children to have whatever programs might give their child an advantage! So, they try to get their kids into the programs... And they red shirt their kids. And they jockey for the best schools, the best teachers, etc.

And yes, mislabeling is problematic. But far more than a pushy parent do I see a parent being dragged along by a determined kid, even when the school thinks it is the other way around.

Classic dialog:
Pediatrician: How did you get your child to do that?
Mom: How do I get her to stop?!

The myth that gifted kids will be okay on their own ("truely" gifted or not) has been around for almost 100 years now. The knowledge that it takes more than talent to be successful is older still. The understanding that being underchallenged in elementary school can lead to poor work habits in adolescents has been explicitly stated for as long as the word underachiever has been in the guidance lexicon (1939) and decades before that.

But here we are in 2012, with the same myths presented and the same rationales for failing to meet the needs of these kids...

I know - let's change the definition of gifted! That will solve it!!

Are you serious? Do you have any idea how much "competition" there is among parents for their kids to get "gifted" designation?

I don't know where your dialogue with a pediatrician came from, you don't give a source. I work in a pediatric office and I have never heard that type of conversation. Sure, some parents want their kids to get identified as "special need" to get extra help, but they all think their kids are quite advanced.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here are a number of defintions of "gifted".

NAGC - What is Giftedness?

I have read elsewhere that giftedness supposedly occurs in about 2% of the population, while several of these definitions say 10%. Regardless, schools with 40-50% of students in "gifted" programs are over-identifying. (Something I have read about on these forums.)

OTOH, I think some kids get missed. I said over on the tracking thread that neither of my kids was ever identified as gifted, though I will add here the school's perception of their academic skills seemed to go up as they got older. I don't think they got smarter, I think elementary teachers tend to identify the uber-outgoing kids as "gifted" more often than the quiet, shy ones, which my kids were.

Are you serious? Do you have any idea how much "competition" there is among parents for their kids to get "gifted" designation?

I don't know where your dialogue with a pediatrician came from, you don't give a source. I work in a pediatric office and I have never heard that type of conversation. Sure, some parents want their kids to get identified as "special need" to get extra help, but they all think their kids are quite advanced.
My dd was identified as gifted by her pediatrician but he spent 2 years telling us not to read too much into the things she was doing first. It was only after seeing her, consistently, for two years, reach all of her milestones early that he was willing to say she was gifted. I can't imagine the conversation the op posted happening.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
I think she covered this with this comment:

"They do however want their children to have whatever programs might give their child an advantage! So, they try to get their kids into the programs"

Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
I still disagree that most people don't want their kids to be considered gifted. No one wants to be "average", no mater what they do. Something tells me the poster who said that is not a parent.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I still disagree that most people don't want their kids to be considered gifted. No one wants to be "average", no mater what they do. Something tells me the poster who said that is not a parent.
She actually said that as well when she said:

"Mostly, I don't think parents want to have gifted children - they want comfortably above average children."

Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:

I deal with parents every day who think their child is special. They seem to either think they are gifted or they need an IEP. There is no in between. The funny part is the vast majority of kids are average.

I have one average child and one above average child. Even my average child has trouble with the idea of being average. It seems kids are raised to think they are special and they don't react well to being typical. I've never been one to tell my kids they are special but dd#1 sure seems to think the world should treat her that way. I know peer influences are strong but it, sometimes, amazes me how strong. I tried to avoid this but she fell into the trap anyway.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Hey, I don't know if I answered this already, but one of my 4 children tested gifted. She did very well in school, and graduated from a good college. She has 3 smart children who will probably get smart scholarships, and she also married a smart guy. Her job is as a substitute teacher.
Here's the thing, though. She is more interested in being spread thin with church vacation director, girl scout cookies, and this and that, than she is interested in managing her home the way I think it should be managed. Her kids don't always have sheets on their bed, their clothes are wrinkled, and they don't always eat dinner together. Her husband works 5 minutes away, and I think they could eat together if they wanted to. I butt out, but I think they could do better.
My point is that being gifted is nice, but it is not necessarily the only good characteristic to have to have your best life.
My other kids are doing OK despite not being gifted.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
She is more interested in being spread thin with church vacation director, girl scout cookies, and this and that, than she is interested in managing her home the way I think it should be managed.
If she is married with children it really truly is not your business how she manages her home. I know this is a little OT but it really bothered me.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:05 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If she is married with children it really truly is not your business how she manages her home. I know this is a little OT but it really bothered me.
You are right, and I realize that. I do not ever criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education