Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What US Accent Drives you nuts?
Hawaiian Pigeon 7 4.22%
California Valley Girl 53 31.93%
Texans 11 6.63%
Boston 13 7.83%
New York / New Jersey 39 23.49%
Southern 31 18.67%
Upper Mid West 12 7.23%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:12 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times

Advertisements

I guess I just don't know what you mean by the word 'twang'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,698,700 times
I love and tolerate most accents. However, if they happen to come with a sort of condescending tone I'm a goner!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:16 PM

125 posts, read 426,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
I found this thread very interesting.

I, myself, have a heavy southern accent (my family is from the deep south) but when I am giving a presentation or leading in an important conversation, I am able to enunciate the syllables correctly without my accent.

I do this so people are able to understand what I am saying instead of 'did she just say warsh vs wash?'

Anyone else practice this in their "business" life? I feel like the 5'o clock news reporter sometimes.....

Otherwise, I'm just lil ol me and don't think twice about it.
I have a little southern accent, now my mamaw and papaw have a THICK one! But when I am at work and on the phone you would never even know. So I know what your talkin about. I do it to

Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal05 View Post
I have a little southern accent, now my mamaw and papaw have a THICK one! But when I am at work and on the phone you would never even know. So I know what your talkin about. I do it to
I am sooooo totally there! Mine comes and goes at will, I use it to my advantage in business if needs be, but it is there in my personal life, and I love it!

Old 06-29-2008, 11:59 PM

564 posts, read 2,341,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
So the Chicago accent is 'twangy'? I've heard all manner of things about that accent (I grew up around it, so I know it well, particularly the south-side version) and usually they aren't too nice such as nasally, annoying, rough-sounding, etc. but twangy is a new one.

Now, before we get any further, let me say that I am not annoyed by any regional US accent, nor to a make any sort of judgments of intelligence or character based on any regional US accent. I have friends and family who sport accents from Brooklyn, to Boston, to Minnesotan, to South Carolina and I find them all interesting to listen to. I'm just curious about your association with the word 'twang' with 'Chicago' as that is simply something I've never heard before.

Naturally, the perception of accent is subjective, and so if you watch The Blues Brothers, you hear a southern twang that reminds you of Dolly Parton, then so be it, but it doesn't quite sound that way to my ears.
Ughhhhh. The person meant that some Kentucky accents are so thick that they make Dolly Parton sound like a Northerner in comparison. (I went to high school in Eastern Kentucky, I know what they mean..) This person just picked a random Northern place. It could've been Alaska for that matter. They just meant that these people sound like goobers.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. We're not saying any of you yankees have a Southern accent...God forbid if that should happen. Some people would probably kill themselves.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
I'm not getting my panties in a bunch, I was simply trying to understand the poster, he or she didn't make it very clear what was meant. If you read the second part of my post, you'd know that I make no value judgments whatsoever on any accent, I was simply just perplexed by his or her statement and wanted further clarification.

If the poster in question meant what you are saying then why didn't he or she respond back with the clarification you just did.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:43 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,775,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
Southern accents kind of irritate me when they talk rrrrrrreeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy sssslllllooooowwww but when they talk at a normal pace I actually think a southern accent on a girl can sound quite cute.

So hate me.

We talk slow, walk slow, everything slow because it's sooooo hot down here. We're trying not to work up a sweat.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:07 PM

5 posts, read 55,721 times
That inarticulate, rough, attitude-laden New York accent.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:42 PM

88 posts, read 273,087 times
Default Nasal, condescending..

Those 20-something things I have to talk to who say "Thank you" in the most nasal tone drive me up a wall. You know - the ones who have voicemail that says "... leave a message. Thank youu." Or any young smarty in a doctors/dentists (wherever) office with that same voice when they try and tell you something that you know is not right.

I'd like to banish them until they take voice lessons.

But I'm not bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education