Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2022, 10:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a former school principal...I think the symbol is okay...BUT if it is causing dissension within the community then it should go.
Agreed, and it's already gone.

The phrase "it's all over but the shouting" comes to mind.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:28 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Maybe some people aren't familiar with how similar the design was to the Nazi's use of an eagle, but the second I saw it when the hubbub first started, I was shocked.

Talk abut "grooming." Hey, that symbol's not bad - my school used it when I was a kid so it must be ok.

Old 07-21-2022, 10:46 AM

12,841 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Looks nothing like a colonels bird. I've saluted enough over the years. What I think happened is the stylized ES looks vaguely nazi until you zoom in.

Doesn't matter what the swastika was; it will forever be nazi.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:40 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Looks nothing like a colonels bird. I've saluted enough over the years. What I think happened is the stylized ES looks vaguely nazi until you zoom in.

Doesn't matter what the swastika was; it will forever be nazi.
Your last couple of points resonate with me.

A. An eagle over anything that even remotely/at a glance/ out of the corner of the eye etc. like an Eagle over an SS is a full stop - ES is close enough.

B. Agreed as well the NAZIs wrecked the swastika for all time.

Old 07-21-2022, 11:56 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Your last couple of points resonate with me.

A. An eagle over anything that even remotely/at a glance/ out of the corner of the eye etc. like an Eagle over an SS is a full stop - ES is close enough.

B. Agreed as well the NAZIs wrecked the swastika for all time.
The thing is that the swastika was an important symbol long before the Nazis used it.

https://www.artofliving.org/in-en/cu...wastika-symbol

Unfortunately, modern day events associate the inverted swastika with Hitler, and his tyranny against the Jews. Nevertheless, thousands of people from different faiths around the world draw swastika sign with devotion and faith. What is the convoluted history of this auspicious sign?

‘Let good prevail’
Swastika is a Sanskrit word, which comes from ‘Su’ + ‘Asti’. Su is good and asti means to prevail.

Its source and the imagery can be traced back to the 5000-year-old Indus Valley, Sindhu-Sarasvati civilization.

The swastika symbol looks like four arms emerging from a center and swirling in a particular direction. It resembles a rotating disc.

Different civilizations have attributed varied reasons for its four arms depiction . Some have connected them with four primordial elements namely earth, water, fire, air. Some associate its four arms with the four directions, some with the four Vedas, while some with the four seasons.

Old 07-21-2022, 12:51 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Maybe some people aren't familiar with how similar the design was to the Nazi's use of an eagle, but the second I saw it when the hubbub first started, I was shocked.

Talk abut "grooming." Hey, that symbol's not bad - my school used it when I was a kid so it must be ok.
Seems to me both are examples of "grooming". Just different sides of the table.

I think the problem here is that this was an elementary school. I don't think it would be newsworthy if it was a beer company or a golf course.

Of course, it's also exposure. The "flat wing'd" logo of the nazi pin is the most familiar.
But you can find other nazi pins that resemble other logos like the Anheuser Busch logo or even the Giorgio Armani logo.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:09 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
I think the non-nazi versions of the swastika will be acceptable once again in several decades, when most people have forgotten the Nazis.

I think the school logo is a good example of that distancing; a bunch of people saw it and didn't make the connection.

I saw the school logo; it's an eagle clutching something angular, and it does resemble the nazi logo.
There could be a million variations on an eagle that wouldn't offend anyone; this version shouldn't fly.

Old 07-21-2022, 01:14 PM

8,069 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
But you can find other nazi pins that resemble other logos like the Anheuser Busch logo or even the Giorgio Armani logo.
You can find Nazi logos everywhere; they sure loved branding. Does that mean nobody can use eagles or lightning bolts ever again? Some would argue that it does mean that.

https://www.logodesignlove.com/kiss-logo

P.S. The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is said by some people to have been Nazi-inspired. Eagles, arches, and lightning bolts, all verboten. What else am I forgetting?

https://www.npr.org/2013/05/25/18577...-american-icon

"And right after the competition in which Eero Saarinen won ... Adalberto Libera threatened to sue him. Libera was an Italian architect who said that this was actually a fascist symbol that he had designed for the 1942 Rome Exposition. And there was a great deal of controversy in the weeks surrounding the competition ... would Saarinen's Arch be shelved, because it was stolen? Saarinen of course denied it, and said, 'How can anyone really claim credit for what has been around for thousands of years? It's universal, in so many ways.' "

Last edited by jtab4994; 07-21-2022 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: Also the Gateway Arch

Old 07-21-2022, 02:02 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,176,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And it wouldn't be surprising if the Nazis copied it from another culture. After all, the swastika goes back at least as far as the Phoenicians and I've seen the swastika woven into the rim of 19th century native American baskets in a Nevada museum.
The Nazis loved the symbols and architecture of the Roman Empire and were influenced by them. The Nazi eagle was based on the Roman Eagle: https://www.google.com/search?q=aqui...JDV0PEPvLa00AI

Old 07-21-2022, 02:25 PM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
It looks like an eagle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education