Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 02:39 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,858 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what a 2023 daily schedule for an American grade schooler or high schooler looks like, what they are being taught. I want a chart that says something like: 8 a.m. xxxx, 9 a.m. xxxx, 10 a.m. xxxx. Could you mention what state you are in and how old your student is?
This is what I DO NOT WANT: discussions of CRT, "grooming," students in Europe or China, "woke," indoctrination, etc. Those topics have been discussed ad nauseum everywhere else and that's not the purpose of my question.
I keep reading on the Internet that students are not being taught (or not being taught enough), reading comprehension, history, geography, social studies, civics, physical education, or my pet favorite, spelling and grammar. So if they aren't being taught those subjects, just what ARE they being taught in school? I assume one subject is computer programming. Again, all I am looking for is charts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 02:42 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Grade school schedule is far different than high school
Classes and electives vary widely according to ability and interest.
Also, the same class can be taught throughout the day (there is not one 9th grade English class at 10 am, for example).

What exactly are you looking for?

Old 07-12-2023, 03:00 PM

575 posts, read 1,370,858 times
Default a student's point of view

I am not thinking of a schedule from a teacher's or school's point of view. I mean a student's schedule, any student in any grade. For example, this year Joe has English at 8 a.m., algebra at 9 a.m., phys ed at 10 a.m. Jane has history at 8 a.m., phys ed at 9 a.m. and English at 10 a.m.

Old 07-12-2023, 03:21 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Our local junior and senior high schools have six periods per day, starting around 8:30 am and ending around 3:30 pm, with a 40 minute lunch after either third or fourth hour. The periods are divided up more-or-less evenly. On Fridays the periods are each shortened a bit to allow for a class meeting/assembly/activity/etc. at the end of the day.

At the junior high everyone has one period of social studies, one of science, one of math and one of English, plus two chosen electives such as gym, art, choir, Spanish, etc. At the HS the subjects depend on which credits the kids need for their personal graduation plan but it'd typically be pretty similar to the JH, just with more options for the core subject area credits (like, "AP American Literature" or "Creative Writing" instead of just "8th Grade English.") There are quite a few vo-tech options available as electives and all students are required to take at least one financial literacy course.

I think the elementary varies by grade level and teacher but I believe they generally spend about half the day on English/ELA/reading and Math, and the rest on social studies, science, and "specials" like music and gym. They have at least one recess and their day is a little shorter, 8:45 to 3:15.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:50 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,082,930 times
The school where I teach has a rotating block schedule.

A typical 9th grader who is not on AP/IB track nor in remedial courses will take 95 minutes every other day in each: World Geography, English 9, Algebra 1, and Biology. The other four 95 minute blocks will depend on their "pathway." This could be anything from Drawing and Painting, Accounting, Intro to Nursing, Welding, Programming etc. They might also have some electives not related to their pathway.

Old 07-13-2023, 06:09 AM

524 posts, read 245,856 times
This is a general overview of what my children took or are currently taking in a Connecticut public high school. I emphasize *general* because there are different graduation pathways and career clusters, which can vary based on the school district.

9th
English
Global Studies 1
Algebra 1
Earth Science
Phys Ed
LOE (language other than English)
Art or Music Elective
Open elective (everything from photography, drafting, child development, auto repair, etc)

10th
English
Global Studies 2
Geometry
Biology
Phys Ed
LOE
Art Elective/Music Elective
Open Elective

11th
English
US History & Government
Math (varies. Could be precalculus, algebra 2, business math)
Chemistry
Phys Ed
LOE (not required)
Open Elective

12th
English
Economics (half year)
Criminal Justice (half year)
Math (varies, depending on student)
Physics (full-year)
-or- 2 half year Sci classes (ex. Astronomy, Anatomy & Physiology, Ecology, Marine Biology)
Phys Ed
LOE (not required)
Open Elective

And of course, lunch and study hall fill in the rest of the day.

Old 07-13-2023, 08:28 AM

7,331 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I assume one subject is computer programming. Again, all I am looking for is charts.
No computer programming.

∙ English 1, English 2, English 3, and English 4;
∙ Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2; any other math that fulfills the graduation requirements of the foundation program;
∙ Biology, Chemistry, and Physics; any other science that fulfills the graduation requirements of the foundation program; and
∙ World Geography, World History, U.S. History, U.S. Government, and Economics and Free Enterprise.

One English course per year - options listed below

English I
English II
English III
English IV
Honors English I
Honors English II
OnRamps Dual Credit English III English College Prep (Elective) Reading I/II/III
Journalism I, II, III, IV

Social Studies courses -

World Geography
World Geography Honors World History
World History Honors United States History
US History Honors
U.S. Government (Civics) US Government Honors Economics/Free Enterprise Economics Honors Personal Financial Literacy Psychology
Sociology

Math courses -

Algebra I
Algebra I Honors Geometry
Geometry Honors Math Models Algebra II
Algebra II Honors Pre-Calculus Pre-Calculus Honors AP Calculus
College Prep Math Algebraic Reasoning

Science courses -

Biology I
Biology I Honors
Chemistry I
Chemistry I Honors
Physics
Physics Honors
Integrated Physics and Chemistry Earth and Space Science Anatomy and Physiology

There are electives and foreign languages too

You can knock yourself out and read the entire list - https://www.yisd.org/userfiles/57/my....pdf?id=543334

Old 07-14-2023, 12:29 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Our district does offer computer programming at both the junior and senior high levels, but it's an elective. There's been a big push to get computer science options into all Alaska school districts because it's a job that can be done remotely and gives kids an option for a living wage career that doesn't require them to move to a city or out of state. Typically rural communities here only have a few options for well-paying work.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:18 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,689,634 times
Quote:
I am wondering what a 2023 daily schedule for an American grade schooler or high schooler looks like, what they are being taught.
I keep reading on the Internet that students are not being taught (or not being taught enough), reading comprehension, history, geography, social studies, civics, physical education, or my pet favorite, spelling and grammar. So if they aren't being taught those subjects, just what ARE they being taught in school? I assume one subject is computer programming. Again, all I am looking for is charts.
A “chart” does not exist, as what is being taught depends on the state; the district; and, the school. Student schedules are not published on the internet (for various reasons); rather, elementary teachers usually have a daily schedule posted in the classroom, which changes slightly every day.

In elementary schools in MA, elementary students are most certainly being taught all of the subjects you’ve mentioned (although I have seen a lag in geography but it has been noted and is being addressed by concerned teachers. Also, cursive is not being taught to the same extent it once was). Computer programming is not taught at the elementary level, although students are taught “media skills” (which entails some basic programming) as part of the library [specials] curriculum.

Re: high schools in MA, student schedules vary significantly, as students usually choose their classes. Whether a student studies computer programming depends on said student choosing to take a computer programming course (like C++).

Old 07-14-2023, 07:26 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
I am wondering what a 2023 daily schedule for an American grade schooler or high schooler looks like, what they are being taught. I want a chart that says something like: 8 a.m. xxxx, 9 a.m. xxxx, 10 a.m. xxxx. Could you mention what state you are in and how old your student is?
This is what I DO NOT WANT: discussions of CRT, "grooming," students in Europe or China, "woke," indoctrination, etc. Those topics have been discussed ad nauseum everywhere else and that's not the purpose of my question.
Can you clarify what you are really asking? Sounds like you're making the assumption that the titles assigned to various class periods throughout the day reflect what is being covered in that class. I don't believe the "charts" you are looking for will actually answer the underlying question you are asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education