Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 01:35 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Here's the exact, real-life scenario:

The state of Alabama is willing to spend over $50,000 per year to educate my five school-aged children. Right now, they aren't spending a penny since none of my children attend public school.

I want to assert my right to claim that $50,000 per year for the education of my children.

If I were to enroll my five children in public school tomorrow, the state would have no problem forking over the money. Why won't they fork over the money for alternative methods of education? The argument is that they should, since we know that there is nothing inherently superior about government education.
No sir.

I do not want my money spent on catholic education, Buddhist education, Hindu education, Muslim education, etc. That is not the "common good". Keep your religious hands off my tax money. My tax money is for public schools that educate everyone with no religious preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 01:38 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No sir.

I do not want my money spent on catholic education, Buddhist education, Hindu education, Muslim education, etc. That is not the "common good". Keep your religious hands off my tax money. My tax money is for public schools that educate everyone with no religious preference.
It's not your money. It's my money. I want *my* money to go toward my educational platform of choice.

That $50k is mine, not yours. It's allocated for *my* children, not yours.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:43 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Here's the exact, real-life scenario:

The state of Alabama is willing to spend over $50,000 per year to educate my five school-aged children. Right now, they aren't spending a penny since none of my children attend public school.

I want to assert my right to claim that $50,000 per year for the education of my children.

If I were to enroll my five children in public school tomorrow, the state would have no problem forking over the money. Why won't they fork over the money for alternative methods of education? The argument is that they should, since we know that there is nothing inherently superior about government education.
You didn’t pay in 50k. You can *maybe* make a case to get the portion of real estate taxes you paid that go to public schools, but that’s nowhere near 50k. Why should you get money paid into public schools by other taxpayers? Why are you entitled to their money??

Old 02-03-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You didn’t pay in 50k. You can *maybe* make a case to get the portion of real estate taxes you paid that go to public schools, but that’s nowhere near 50k. Why should you get money paid into public schools by other taxpayers? Why are you entitled to their money??
Because I have children who require an education.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
It's not your money. It's my money. I want *my* money to go toward my educational platform of choice.

I'm sorry, let the Vatican pay for your school.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:51 PM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
Quote:

How much do you pay in taxes per year? Let's suppose your students are in school from K through 12. That's 13 years. Multiply $50,000 x 13 = $650,000. Do you pay the state that much in taxes over your lifetime? Many start working at 17 and stop at 70. 54 years goes into $650,000...are you paying like $12,000 per year in taxes to Alabama, across the decades of your working life? That wouldn't cover other things, like roads or prisons, either.

I don't have kids, so I'm paying taxes for other people's children to get an education, which would also apply to the Alabama situation if I lived there. But it's for the public good and if they don't get an education they end up on welfare and have other problems, so I'm probably getting a bargain. If I don't use the roads, should I not have to pay taxes for them? If I don't think the prison system works, should I be allowed to stop paying for it?

Old 02-03-2023, 01:52 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Because I have children who require an education.
And the taxpayers have provided funds to educate them in PUBLIC School. That’s what you’re entitled to. Nothing more. If that doesn’t suit you, then draw on your sense of personal responsibility for the kids you chose to bring into the world and pay their way elsewhere.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
How much do you pay in taxes per year? Let's suppose your students are in school from K through 12. That's 13 years. Multiply $50,000 x 13 = $650,000. Do you pay the state that much in taxes over your lifetime? Many start working at 17 and stop at 70. 54 years goes into $650,000...are you paying like $12,000 per year in taxes to Alabama, across the decades of your working life? That wouldn't cover other things, like roads or prisons, either.

I don't have kids, so I'm paying taxes for other people's children to get an education, which would also apply to the Alabama situation if I lived there. But it's for the public good and if they don't get an education they end up on welfare and have other problems, so I'm probably getting a bargain. If I don't use the roads, should I not have to pay taxes for them? If I don't think the prison system works, should I be allowed to stop paying for it?
All irrelevant. The state says that my children are entitled to a state-funded education. So give me my money and let me educate my kids.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:54 PM

Quote:
All irrelevant. The state says that my children are entitled to a state-funded education. So give me my money and let me educate my kids.
No, that's not really what the state says.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:55 PM

Quote:
And the taxpayers have provided funds to educate them in PUBLIC School. That’s what you’re entitled to. Nothing more.
Yes I'm aware of the current setup. It's obsolete and insufficient to the task at hand. We need to change the way we view "education" in our country.

Quote:
If that doesn’t suit you, then draw on your sense of personal responsibility for the kids you chose to bring into the world and pay their way elsewhere.
What do you think I'm doing now? It's unjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education