Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 07:34 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,528,843 times

Advertisements

Ohio’s education department is investigating a White supremacist homeschooling network that shares Nazi-related resources - CNN

Old 02-09-2023, 09:24 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
https://www.edweek.org/policy-politi...candal/2023/02

No doubt some of our posters will hope that state tax funds would be transferred to this group.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eren Yeager View Post
Does anyone know, claim to know, or have an educated guess of how many children are enrolled in the program?
possibly (1) family... But there are a lot of quacks, and an extrodiarily high number within the teaching and administrative ranks of Public funded USA EDU. Most home schoolers prefer NO government funding (including defunding the pig trough of public education (which also promotes many distructive behaviors and inclusions and exclusions).
In a statement, HSLDA described the “Dissident Homeschool” group as an outlier.

The repulsive beliefs and actions of one troubled and extreme fringe couple exploiting home-school freedom should not harm the liberty and parental rights of millions of American families who responsibly home school and who raise their children to be contributing members of society,” it read. “It would be a mistake to regulate the extraordinarily diverse home-schooling community—many of whom choose homeschooling to protect their children from racism—based on the bad acts of a tiny fringe.

telling...
Ohio actually has more (homeschool) regulation than most states,” said Longoria-Green. It requires parents to provide 900 hours of instruction, teach a list of specified subjects, and submit an assessment of students’ work.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:18 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,920,840 times
No doubt there are those in the state that are trying to get control in an area people are strongly resisting.
We home schooled our children, and they passed the GED just fine, and are successful self-sufficient, responsible, adults.

Old 02-09-2023, 03:52 PM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
From the OP's link.....the state has not found anything yet. These are allegations

An initial review of “anything [the group] could have been a part of” or “applied to at the Department” has not produced anything thus far, according to the state official.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:06 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
On a side note: the penmanship is exquisite.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:34 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
What can we expect from CNN and a state teachers association? Obviously they want these kids back in public schools, where the revenues can be added to the pay for union teachers and school board members who promote CRT, LGBTQ, and transgender ideology.

Heaven forbid if even ONE child is educated without being indoctrinated. Good for Ohio parents, who have learned to vote with their feet and their wallets!

Old 02-10-2023, 09:02 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
That's the reason homeschooling is illegal in Germany.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:34 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,640,743 times
I am certainly not against anyone having the potential freedom to home school, but I absolutely won't hear any arguments to defund public education. Nor talk of how teachers have these oh so cushy well paid union jobs...my brother and his wife are teachers, you can't BS me about what it's really like. They make barely enough to get by and have to buy a lot of the classroom materials themselves, though they can at least claim a tax benefit for that, I think. Both of them have side jobs just to try and make it and support their family.

On top of this they've now got to deal with a bunch of rabid lunatics who act like teachers are all sickos or something, when in fact they are some of the most decent, wholesome individuals I have ever known in my life. And not the skeevy hypocritical kind of churchy people, but the real deal. I've always said that if more Christians were like my brother, then I might even go to church myself. Neither one of them are liberals, that is for sure.

But more to the point, I see the agenda from the party that long ago declared war on New Deal policies and early to mid 20th century labor reforms. You tear down and tear apart public schools, and then...rich people will still send their kids to private school, and some middle class might manage to find a way to do that, too. Some middle class with home school. But the poor, well, they have to work once you cut all the programs and they'd better anyways, we can't have lazy and unproductive adults about, trying to sit at home "teaching their kids" right? So their children? Oh, I dunno, well, we could get those freeloading shorties into the mines and fields and sweatshops again? I mean hey, not everyone needs college, maybe not everyone needs to read? Maybe good honest hard labor is perfectly noble, and why not start them young?

After all, has not society degenerated from all of these entitled and spoiled kids who are more liability than asset to their families? And young adults don't want to start families because kids are so expensive? Well?

It is TOO OBVIOUS to see a return to low paid child labor for the nation's poorest. I mean, it's happening now but not legally. There was that plant that made car parts that had immigrant kids working there. I don't honestly know how we get anywhere as a nation until one half of our leadership gets it through their heads that free labor (exploitation via labor) is not a thing to want or seek. It has only been one of the greatest drivers of our greatest social evils since the inception of the country, and of course where it has reared its head in other cultures and histories besides. Almost all roads lead right back to looking for ways to do something like slavery without calling it slavery and while putting "blame" for the suffering of the poor on their own backs rather than where it belongs with those who seek to exploit them.

And that is before you even arrive at the question of whether some of the people who want to homeschool are nutty people teaching their kids nutty things.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:44 AM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Meanwhile, these guys operate a network of K-12 schools across many states and on-line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhamm...rsity_of_Islam

https://www.adl.org/resources/profile/nation-islam

Just raises questions about what is noted, what is ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education