Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 12:01 PM

697 posts, read 2,015,093 times

Advertisements

michiganmom48, I agree; a lot of homework does not constitute a good education, and a public school is not always the best for every child. Our experience was a nightmare. My daughter was in a public school with an outstanding reputation. The problem was, they hid behind that reputation (which did not include current circumstances, educationally) and allowed the school to fall into a mess. Parents continue to turn their heads away from the obvious trouble the school is in, and send their children hoping for some kind of magic. Anyway, mine has been homeschooled since halfway through 5th grade.

Our state has requirements, as does almost every other state. ( Michigan happens to be one that does not demand much, or nothing at all for homeschool accountability on any level.) As long as you meet their requirements, you can do anything you want with your child. They can advance as far as you want them to in any year.

Many say that following special homeschool programs creates the same kind of atmosphere as going to school. I have found it much more effective for us, to create our own curriculum, depending on my child's needs and interests. We go by state requirements, but we do it our way.

In the younger years of a child's education, the foundation for learning is laid, as well as the foundation for basic understanding of expectations. More and more people are taking their children out of the public classroom and homeschooling them, and finding their children are better off for it. I know my child was.

Go to the North Carolina website, Department of Education, homeschool division. You will find what you need there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 01:23 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
To each his own... but in all honestly I do not understand the concept of home schooling... unless one lives in the middle of nowhere and the nearest school is an hour away... or you live in a VERY HOSTILE neighborhood and you are afraid of drive-bys or physical harm...I don't understand why a parent would deny their child the experience of an education among their PEERS... I am not trying to attack... I just would like to understand how the parents on here, who homeschool, teach thier children to interact with OTHER children outside of the home on a daily basis... I think it is a crucial part of learning how to interact with others and become decent citizens... learning to socialize face to face is a very important need in the growth of a child...

There was a girl who went to college with me... she was home schooled and had a very difficult time adjusting to college life and socializing... she ended up moving home and commuting because she found campus life too stressful and caused her great anxiety... I cannot even tell you what became of her because she never stayed to chat with other students...I just don't see how home schooling prepares students for the real world...

Again, I am not bashing, I am genuinely interested in learning how a parent goes about preparing thier child for the real world...for the college experience... if they aren't among their peers and in a social environment...

Anyone care to explain their routine and how you go about it? I think it would clear up a lot of stigmas in the whole Home School Debate... Thanks

Old 09-07-2008, 06:28 PM

27 posts, read 64,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I must state that I'm not looking into homeschooling because of what my son said. Being a Mom of 7 I'm well informed of what kids say. Also because I work with children all my life and in a school system myself I tend to see things different. I was in Michigan a foster parent and many of those children has learning issues. It was very time consuming as I had to almost fight to get those kids what they need. My issue is my kids right now love learning. My daughter is very open to everything. My son you have to rally more but he is higher than her. I feel that a lot of kids have that love of learning until the school sucks it out of them. THe homework 5 spelling words each week. Write them 3x , write sentences, put in abc order. Math worksheets everyweek, and read a story everyweek and learn anywhere from 12-16 vocab words everyweek and on Friday test are given. This was given the first day. I remember even last year saying to my daughter who was 5 that we had to do something and her saying to me but Mom I'm only 5. I 'm not against my kids learning all the need to know but are schools push kids too hard. Also the other poster is right on her point. Some kids would do well with this amount of work. THery would be done in 10 mins. But what about the children who take a hour or more. I can tell you they are the ones that are different. That statement is exavtly what I mean if your child has trouble then they aren't doing well enough. The problem myt son has is that he leaves for school at 7:40 and gets home at 3;30 when he gets home he is done with school. He can't sit down and do lots of homework he needs to run and jump.
I know exactly how you feel. My son started school (in NC) with a love of learning. He is now in the 4th grade. He had a terrible teacher in the 1st and 3rd grade. They were the type of teachers who wanted things done perfectly. They were expected to act like adults and never make any mistakes academically. They sucked the love of learning out of him. I've cried myself to sleep many nights because I couldn't get the school to listen and we live in an area where there is no charter or private schools to take him to. I considered homeschooling, but I felt like I may be hurting him socially not to mention that I couldn't afford to stay home with him to homeschool. So far this year (it's still early and I'm afraid to get my hopes uip) he seems to have a teacher who is more in touch with what he needs and is beginning to love school again. If you can get the school to agree to change him, I would go that route first. There are some good teachers out there. My experience has been that administration takes the positon that "we put you child where we thought he would learn best" and will not agree to move him or her. RIGHT! Like they really know anything about MY child. I also don't agree with the comment that you should realize that children twist things to make them look good. I haven't found that to be true. It is only when I listened to adults tell me this and doubted my child for a second that I went wrong. You know your child better than anyone and only have his interest at heart. Whatever decision you make, I am sure will be the right one for him.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 PM

516 posts, read 1,888,161 times
Quote:
but in all honestly I do not understand the concept of home schooling
Well, you have to start right there. You give a handful of reasons one might homeschool - but miss some very important ones.

How about a 6-year-old child who is doing 4th grade math & 5th grade spelling, has a vocabulary comparable to an average high-school freshman, and can play Fur Elise on a full-size piano? He has completed the entire available curriculum at his K-3 private school. So what do you do, send him to public school and let him go back to doing 1st grade work?

Quote:
I don't understand why a parent would deny their child the experience of an education among their PEERS
First, you take the negative view - "why a parent would DENY...". I don't understand why a parent would deny their child the absolute best education they could provide, regardless of where that education is done.

But really, is SCHOOL the ONLY place that a child can interact with other children? There are plenty of other options for socialization.

Quote:
There was a girl who went to college with me ... she was home schooled and had a very difficult time adjusting to college life and socializing ... I just don't see how home schooling prepares students for the real world
And I can show you plenty of college students who went to public or private schools and couldn't adjust to college, too.

That was ONE person in one particular instance. How many home-schooled children go on and do perfectly fine in college?

Quote:
I am genuinely interested in learning how a parent goes about preparing thier child for the real world...for the college experience... if they aren't among their peers and in a social environment...
College and the real world have very little to do with each other.

You're very stuck on the idea of "peers" and "social environment", and seem to think that ONLY a school can provide them. What about team sports, group recreation activities, scouting? Lots of things to do that aren't school.

Quote:
I think it would clear up a lot of stigmas in the whole Home School Debate
I doubt it, but maybe I helped clear some things up for you.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
I have checked out the requirements for North Carolina. I seen that they require standard test but not for my age children. They require a home visit and shot records on file and record keeping. You must put it in writing. I'm still on the fence as school only started two weeks ago. My daughter was recieving speech last year but they said they were going to didmiss her and that she didn't need it. We have to do a transfere IEP this week. I have a big feeling that they will suggest that my daughter needs to go back to KIndergarten. Several concepts like tally marks and adding problems they didn't do last year at all. I have been working with them. I 'm not that put off by my daughters teacher as she really is positive about what she does . But my son there is writing that I take as negitive like We did examples on the board and he couldn't do the work by himself. My thought was so. First that is why he is in school to learn and be taught. Some children and my son is one that doesn't learn well by talking or writing on a board. He has always even in his play used manipulatiuve tous. He loves blocks. Tonight I used popscicle sticks to make tally marks and they rolled dice to get the number and then added the dice together using sticks as tally marks. He had a good time. I guess I'm not saying they shouldstay out of public school forever. But now in many ways I feel they can grasp the basic concepts better by working at a slower pace. My son really needs to do things in a smaller time frame. They won't change him. I had a issue at the beginning of the year because I wanted both my kids in the same classroom and was denied. There is a much larger story to this which included me telling the principal off. I started off as a parent and my oldest is 26 that didn't say much to teachers and didn'tr question much. THen I started working inside a school and after that I don't play. I saw and was apart of thinking outside the box. I know that children learn different and part of teaching is to find the key to get to that child. I have seen it done and seen the face of a child that gets it because someone took the time to help them. Classes are too big. School spend too much time worring about the State test and report cards on how there school scored.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
Well, you have to start right there. You give a handful of reasons one might homeschool - but miss some very important ones.

How about a 6-year-old child who is doing 4th grade math & 5th grade spelling, has a vocabulary comparable to an average high-school freshman, and can play Fur Elise on a full-size piano? He has completed the entire available curriculum at his K-3 private school. So what do you do, send him to public school and let him go back to doing 1st grade work?

First, you take the negative view - "why a parent would DENY...". I don't understand why a parent would deny their child the absolute best education they could provide, regardless of where that education is done.

But really, is SCHOOL the ONLY place that a child can interact with other children? There are plenty of other options for socialization.

And I can show you plenty of college students who went to public or private schools and couldn't adjust to college, too.

That was ONE person in one particular instance. How many home-schooled children go on and do perfectly fine in college?

College and the real world have very little to do with each other.

You're very stuck on the idea of "peers" and "social environment", and seem to think that ONLY a school can provide them. What about team sports, group recreation activities, scouting? Lots of things to do that aren't school.

I doubt it, but maybe I helped clear some things up for you.
Alright, I believe this to be an extreme case... my husband was like this, reading at at college level in third grade, photographic memory... the whole bit... but his parents were teachers and fully understood the benefit of attending school with children his own age and socializing. Not every child is being home schooled due to his over achievements... I can understand the case as you presented it... what enrichment for this child would be better suited for this child in a one on one setting where they will be challenged... but what about the kids who fall through the cracks? The ones who need more attention... is there a tutor who assits in the learning process or can any random parent teach their child? I understand there are such things as sports and extra curriculars... but not much socializing goes on in sports... it is more activity based. My children take Karate... there is constant instruction and movement, without conversation. They also have taken ballet... again, constant movement without conversation... Children socialize and learn to relate with others in the school setting... be it private or public school. There is recess, lunch, paired work, group projects... children are constantly learning to work together and relate to one another in this setting. It is also a different relationship than that of brother and sister when they are working with friends/peers. I think most children lose that if they are home all day with Mom or Dad and have only siblings as their classmates. When do they actually have a chance to socialize? And yes, I do believe that is very important in terms of the growth of a child, their identity of self and their confidence in dealing with other people. Dealing with Peers. It is one thing to be able to converse with an adult... but if that is all they are taught to do they will not adapt to social settings that involve children of the same age group. Again, perhaps if a child needed more intellectual stimulation than what is being offered to them... however, those cases are few and far between... and there are private schools that offer such stimulation by the way... but, I am wondering about the average kid, staying home with Mom to learn... when do they get out from under mom or dad's watchful eye and be a kid with other kids? Talk with other kids? On a daily basis...

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
but, I am wondering about the average kid, staying home with Mom to learn... when do they get out from under mom or dad's watchful eye and be a kid with other kids? Talk with other kids? On a daily basis... [/color]
Another issue is learning how to deal with different adults. It is well known that children relate differently to their parents than to other adults. I agree with sports not offering a lot of interactive time. My kids once had a gymnastics coach who had a rule that they weren't supposed to talk about anything but gymnastics! Scouts and church groups can provide some of the other adult and kid interaction, I guess. One of my daughters had a great experience in Girl Scouts and stayed in all through high school; the other was in two troops that folded and quit in 3rd grade. Gymnastics and church interfered with each other, and choices had to be made. It isn't easy!

Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I have checked out the requirements for North Carolina. I seen that they require standard test but not for my age children. They require a home visit and shot records on file and record keeping. You must put it in writing. I'm still on the fence as school only started two weeks ago. My daughter was recieving speech last year but they said they were going to didmiss her and that she didn't need it. We have to do a transfere IEP this week. I have a big feeling that they will suggest that my daughter needs to go back to KIndergarten. Several concepts like tally marks and adding problems they didn't do last year at all. I have been working with them. I 'm not that put off by my daughters teacher as she really is positive about what she does . But my son there is writing that I take as negitive like We did examples on the board and he couldn't do the work by himself. My thought was so. First that is why he is in school to learn and be taught. Some children and my son is one that doesn't learn well by talking or writing on a board. He has always even in his play used manipulatiuve tous. He loves blocks. Tonight I used popscicle sticks to make tally marks and they rolled dice to get the number and then added the dice together using sticks as tally marks. He had a good time. I guess I'm not saying they shouldstay out of public school forever. But now in many ways I feel they can grasp the basic concepts better by working at a slower pace. My son really needs to do things in a smaller time frame. They won't change him. I had a issue at the beginning of the year because I wanted both my kids in the same classroom and was denied. There is a much larger story to this which included me telling the principal off. I started off as a parent and my oldest is 26 that didn't say much to teachers and didn'tr question much. THen I started working inside a school and after that I don't play. I saw and was apart of thinking outside the box. I know that children learn different and part of teaching is to find the key to get to that child. I have seen it done and seen the face of a child that gets it because someone took the time to help them. Classes are too big. School spend too much time worring about the State test and report cards on how there school scored.
Most schools in NC won't allow siblings to be in the same classroom. I don't agree with it either. It sounds as if you are doing a good deal of home schooling anyway by teaching him the things that he missed out on with tally marks and other things. He may be one the the children who would benefit greatly by you homeschooling him. Especially if you could catch him up to where he needs to be without them sending him back to Kindergarden.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Homeschooling

Homeschooling is a trend that seems to be catching on more as parents come to realize that our current public school sytem is failing our children miserably. Unfortunately, not all parents can afford to homeschool. I think it would be a great idea if our government (local, state, and federal) would reimburse some of our tax money that we have already paid in to the education system in order to put that money toward homeschooling if we chose to do so.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaching_03 View Post
Homeschooling is a trend that seems to be catching on more as parents come to realize that our current public school sytem is failing our children miserably. Unfortunately, not all parents can afford to homeschool. I think it would be a great idea if our government (local, state, and federal) would reimburse some of our tax money that we have already paid in to the education system in order to put that money toward homeschooling if we chose to do so.
Parents pay public school taxes even if you send your kids to a private school...it is a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education