Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:05 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,577 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever attended school in either France or Spain? What was it like? did you know the language before you went? How hard was it to get a Visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM

anyone have any info?

Old 11-07-2008, 11:39 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Can you be a little more specific? Age, where you plan to live, etc...

Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 PM

I will be 26 before my enlistment is up, but I would be interested in either international business management, or photography. Is it possible to have a double major? is it possible to do that? how long is school? is it still 4 years? do you have to take other subjects also, like science/english/math. Whatever. Those are some of the questions I had.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM

I have no clue on those subjects. Google Spanish or French universities and check their programs. To answer your other question yes you have to speak the language to go to college in another country.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM

hmmm.....don't remember asking if you had to speak the language, that one just seems like common sense to me.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
... did you know the language before you went? ...
- there are often some English speaking options in foreign U's, (unless you plan to do the whole program there.... you didn't mention where you wanted the sheepskin from)

I have lived in Spain and France, but neither was my favorite. Tho I preferred the western (Atlantic) sides, and rural areas to the major cities. In that case you would need to know the local tongue and attend a smaller U (probably a much richer experience). When living in Barcelona, the Catalan folks were not too keen on Spanish speakers. Co-workers would never ride in my car b'cuz it had Madrid plates (Hertz car). I don't see a 'unified' Europe for quite some time. Europe was a 'let-down' after we had lived in Asia, we integrated with Asian locals much better than Europeans, but your mileage may vary. We had a great time in Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore) China and Indonesia were a bit of a stretch for enjoyment, but the Chinese can be very fun and have good humor. I missed the humor part of living in SW Europe. I think it would have been much different if I had been single, instead of 'with-family'. The 'national' strikes get pretty old when you are hopping around the countries via train. You can spend a few days in some remote station, and our small kids got pretty grumpy not eating and all...

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-07-2008 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2009, 05:30 PM

72 posts, read 110,575 times
If you don't have a 4 year degree from another country, then you will have to take the 'Selectividad' examination to gain access to any university.

Bare in mind, that depending on the community (kinda like state in the US) you would like to live in, you'd have to first learn the local language as almost all classes at undergraduate level would be given on it. Unless of course! you'd be living in the south or Madrid.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmicck View Post
I will be 26 before my enlistment is up, but I would be interested in either international business management, or photography. Is it possible to have a double major? is it possible to do that? how long is school? is it still 4 years? do you have to take other subjects also, like science/english/math. Whatever. Those are some of the questions I had.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:21 PM

Madrid, Castilla y Leon, Castilla la Mancha, Andalucia, Aragon and Canary Islands do not have a second language. My sister went to school in Alicante and she didn't have to learn Valenciano. There are places that do not want be part of Spain and are a real pain about their language to the point that they do not allow their children to learn Spanish (Castillian). A very backwards way of thinking. Stay away from Barcelona fo sure. I would also stay away from the Vasc Country because the terrorist organization (ETA). I am not sure about Galicia. I am also not sure about the Balearic Isles.
Good luck.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:34 AM

29 posts, read 90,174 times
is it possible to take the french bac as a foreigner in france? i plan to study in france, but i will already be 22 when i do make it over, so is it still possible to work my way up from a french bac? do they have schools catering to foreigners who wants to take the french bac?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education