Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:22 AM

28 posts, read 74,123 times

Advertisements

I would like to find out what fellow people think about teachers who promote personal political beliefs in the classroom. Is it acceptable at all? Is their a time and a place for teachers to share personal political views in class? Are their certain classes where this is acceptable and others where it is not? I am a college student in the Twin Cities and I would be very interested to hear the opinions of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 05:49 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
I'm a college student, and my college was the first college in the country to set up actual university law stating that professors are not allowed to inject their political beliefs. I just had a meeting with an administrator to complain about a professor doing so, and he was told to stop. Despite consistent political undertones, it has mostly stopped from the inappropriate level it was at before.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Probably not a good idea to get into a heated political discussion in which you yell at the student to take off their Jesus goggles like one Colorado teacher did.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I'm a college student, and my college was the first college in the country to set up actual university law stating that professors are not allowed to inject their political beliefs. I just had a meeting with an administrator to complain about a professor doing so, and he was told to stop. Despite consistent political undertones, it has mostly stopped from the inappropriate level it was at before.
JHG722,
Did the law at your school come about because students like you were tired of hearing teachers personal political view injected into the curriculum, or because the University staff wanted to be the first to say it is taking a stand against it?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Probably not a good idea to get into a heated political discussion in which you yell at the student to take off their Jesus goggles like one Colorado teacher did.
What was the outcome of this do you know?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke55113 View Post
JHG722,
Did the law at your school come about because students like you were tired of hearing teachers personal political view injected into the curriculum, or because the University staff wanted to be the first to say it is taking a stand against it?
It came into law around two years ago, right before I got here, because our College Republicans group was fed up with Liberal professors political commentary wasting class time. An administrator got in trouble within the last year for getting a hold of the ListServ (all students' email addresses) and sending mass emails asking for students to donate to Obama's campaign.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
It came into law around two years ago, right before I got here, because our College Republicans group was fed up with Liberal professors political commentary wasting class time. An administrator got in trouble within the last year for getting a hold of the ListServ (all students' email addresses) and sending mass emails asking for students to donate to Obama's campaign.
Its good to hear that a group of students are what influenced this change! I wish more students at my school cared. Most just seem to sit mindlessly and feel impartial to a teachers rhetoric. Setting my personal political views aside, it bothers me when a teacher does this if they share my views or not. 1 because it wastes class time as you pointed out, and 2 because if the teacher has strong political views, they often discriminate against students who do not share those views.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 AM

At my school, it's just a matter of us Republicans being a small (but mighty) minority, and thus most students relate to the professors' Liberal mindsets.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
At my school, it's just a matter of us Republicans being a small (but mighty) minority, and thus most students relate to the professors' Liberal mindsets.
I think your school is much like most schools across the nation, where most students relate to the teacher's mindset. This is the main reason I think it is wrong, because most students are conditioned to agree with their teachers. I am a conservative as well, and I would be just as upset about this if most teachers where conservative instead of liberal. I have had Science and English teachers try to make their personal political forum a part of the curriculum in class. It is frusterating because I often stand alone in trying to weed out a teachers personal biased, and have even suffered in my grades. The problem is I cannot prove that a teacher graded me on a political biased, I have thought of talking to the Dean about this matter, but as my teachers where both tenured they seemed untouchable. I feel as though I stand alone in this fight, because most of my fellow students don't care, agree with the teachers views and therfore don't want them to stop, or have simply accepted that colleges are liberal institutions and one must conform to that mindset in order to pass with high marks.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 AM

414 posts, read 1,277,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke55113 View Post
I think your school is much like most schools across the nation, where most students relate to the teacher's mindset. This is the main reason I think it is wrong, because most students are conditioned to agree with their teachers. I am a conservative as well, and I would be just as upset about this if most teachers where conservative instead of liberal. I have had Science and English teachers try to make their personal political forum a part of the curriculum in class. It is frusterating because I often stand alone in trying to weed out a teachers personal biased, and have even suffered in my grades. The problem is I cannot prove that a teacher graded me on a political biased, I have thought of talking to the Dean about this matter, but as my teachers where both tenured they seemed untouchable. I feel as though I stand alone in this fight, because most of my fellow students don't care, agree with the teachers views and therfore don't want them to stop, or have simply accepted that colleges are liberal institutions and one must conform to that mindset in order to pass with high marks.
I agree. It should have no place in the classroom, but unfortunately it does. I had many classes where I felt as though I actually learned very little because of the agenda based liberal BS that was continuously thrown our way. Too many of our colleges and universities have become nothing more than brainwashing academies.

Perhaps, if it's an option, you should consider a different school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education