Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:20 PM

173 posts, read 591,621 times

Advertisements

I've homeschooled my kids on & off . My daughters have had the least years of homeschooling in fact they were only homeschooled for 1 year- last year & that was their junior year of H.S. They had to test to get back in; we were told they passed the tests & they're in senior year now. Today,all of a sudden they decide to tell one of my daughters that she has to take geography in nightschool if she wants to graduate; they also are contradicting themselves & claiming she didn't pass the geography class (previously they said she had.) I'm ticked off about this & am tempted to pull 'em out, but the only reason I put them back in was to graduate w/ their friends.
I don't know if I should just let them finish at home now, w/ an online H.S. or let them go back, but I suspect this school will just come up with some other excuse to play these games with us.

This particular district is notoriously corrupt, & political...if you're not in on the "cliques" then your kids aren't picked for sports, scholarships, etc. I can't wait til we're out of here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Why don't you ask to see the test? Just explain that your understanding was that she had passed the test and you would like to see it to make sure about the scoring. I would ask if she could re-take the test instead of adding an evening class if she really did not pass it.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:56 AM

That's an excellent suggestion I was so upset about it yesterday, I couldn't even come up w/ any ideas...thanks. It just seems that some public schools try to make things harder for homeschooled families.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:05 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance67 View Post
That's an excellent suggestion I was so upset about it yesterday, I couldn't even come up w/ any ideas...thanks. It just seems that some public schools try to make things harder for homeschooled families.
If you'd seen some of the homeschooled kids that I have, you might understand why. Far too many parents have absolutely no business trying to teach their kids. This is not to say that there aren't many fine parents doing a terrific job of it, but those ones are a lot less common than the former.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
Question: I have a friend whos son got expelled, and they just found out that they can't put him in any district for the rest of the year....so homeschooling is thier only option. Where should they look to find someone to home school their son?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,980,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
If you'd seen some of the homeschooled kids that I have, you might understand why. Far too many parents have absolutely no business trying to teach their kids. This is not to say that there aren't many fine parents doing a terrific job of it, but those ones are a lot less common than the former.
I can see that you are trying to start yet another homeschool/public school debate.

If you are not trying to start trouble, can you not see that saying something so insulting (and grossly untrue) just displays your ignorance about homeschoolers and homeschooling in general? I'd gander that the people who actually homeschool know FAR more homeschoolers than the general public, and I have never met one who said "most homeschoolers have no business trying to teach their kids." Of the oh, 150 or so homeschool families that I know personally, I can think of one or two who I'd say their kids might be better off in school.

It would be just as easy for me to say "public schools suck and most teachers have no business teaching kids," but that would be inflammatory, rude, insulting, and untrue. Many people would say to me, "if your kids don't go to school, how would you even know?" Which is what I"m saying to you. If you don't know MANY homeschooling families, please don't insult a whole group of people with your generalities based on the one or two that you know whose kids don't seem as "socialized" or whatever as public schooled kids. Because wow, I can think of waaaay more than one or two public schooled kids who I think are "off" in one way or another, but that does not mean that I should disparage all public schooling families.

To the OP, I'm sorry you're having trouble... I hope you can get this resolved soon.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73jennifer View Post
Question: I have a friend whos son got expelled, and they just found out that they can't put him in any district for the rest of the year....so homeschooling is thier only option. Where should they look to find someone to home school their son?
Homeschooling means that the parents are teaching, for the most part. They can look into a virtual public school so that he can do "public school at home", something like Connections Academy or K12. I don't know if they're available in all states.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I can see that you are trying to start yet another homeschool/public school debate.

If you are not trying to start trouble, can you not see that saying something so insulting (and grossly untrue) just displays your ignorance about homeschoolers and homeschooling in general? I'd gander that the people who actually homeschool know FAR more homeschoolers than the general public, and I have never met one who said "most homeschoolers have no business trying to teach their kids." Of the oh, 150 or so homeschool families that I know personally, I can think of one or two who I'd say their kids might be better off in school.

It would be just as easy for me to say "public schools suck and most teachers have no business teaching kids," but that would be inflammatory, rude, insulting, and untrue. Many people would say to me, "if your kids don't go to school, how would you even know?" Which is what I"m saying to you. If you don't know MANY homeschooling families, please don't insult a whole group of people with your generalities based on the one or two that you know whose kids don't seem as "socialized" or whatever as public schooled kids. Because wow, I can think of waaaay more than one or two public schooled kids who I think are "off" in one way or another, but that does not mean that I should disparage all public schooling families.

To the OP, I'm sorry you're having trouble... I hope you can get this resolved soon.
Great points; we were told in September they passed all the tests. Now they suddenly want to contradict their own tests; the elective class she supposedly didn't pass was foods- how can they threaten her w/ not graduating?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,925,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post

I dont think the person you are quoting was trying to start any type of debate. Do you disagree that their are idiots out there homeschooling their kids?

At the same time, there are many great parents that homeschool their children, and do a wonderful job, just as the poster stated.

I think its you that is trying to stir the pot a bit.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM

No, she (he?) said "those ones (referring to parents who do a fine job homeschooling) are a lot less common than the former (referring to those who have no business teaching their own children)" That would lead me to infer that the poster was saying "People who do a crappy job homeschooling their kids are far more common than those who do a fine job." If you go back through this forum, there have already been several threads where the homeschool debate was drawn out. Yes, there are a very small percentage of people out there who homeschool who probably should not be. A very small percentage. Does this constitute "most homeschoolers" or "more homeschoolers than are doing a great job"? No.

Even if the poster was completely innocent and thought that it was not insulting whatsoever to say "the majority of homeschooling parents suck," I do not feel that I'd be out of line to point out that it is in fact insulting. If I were to say "The majority of school teachers are doing a crappy job," I think that teachers would feel attacked, and rightly so. How is this any different?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education