Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,677 times

Advertisements

I have a 3.8 and am a senior in college. I have always been on the Dean's list and always worked full time at the same time. This semester though is kicking my butt.

One professor doesn't like me too much. All the assignments are based on opinion but she doesn't accept mine and constantly gives me poor grades for it. I can't drop the class. I need it.

I just got back home from failing a test in one of my most important classes. I am a finance major and really worried about what kind of gpa I need to be able to advance in school, or the workplace. Maybe work experience will count for something?

The professor told us the average of this test has been, in every previous semester, a 60-65%. I counted up the points of the problems I know I got right....30 points.

I looked around the room and some students were even crying. I'm trying not to anticipate complete course failure but it's taxing not too.

/rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 04:42 PM

681 posts, read 2,877,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
I have a 3.8 and am a senior in college. I have always been on the Dean's list and always worked full time at the same time. This semester though is kicking my butt.

One professor doesn't like me too much. All the assignments are based on opinion but she doesn't accept mine and constantly gives me poor grades for it. I can't drop the class. I need it.

I just got back home from failing a test in one of my most important classes. I am a finance major and really worried about what kind of gpa I need to be able to advance in school, or the workplace. Maybe work experience will count for something?

The professor told us the average of this test has been, in every previous semester, a 60-65%. I counted up the points of the problems I know I got right....30 points.

I looked around the room and some students were even crying. I'm trying not to anticipate complete course failure but it's taxing not too.

/rant.
A wise person once told me that your GPA matters for the first minute of the first job you get after college. Beyond that, it's all about job experience and how you perform in the real world. So... get that first job... and you're set.

However, I don't suggest jobs to anyone. I wouldn't wish a job on a human being who desires to go somewhere in life. Start a business instead.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:44 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,224 times
Sorry I don't have an answer to your question as I'm a finance major in college also. Just curious, what course are you taking that all the assignments are opinion-based?

Have you ever had an internship? They tell us that internships are equal to if not more important than grades...I'm getting one this summer hopefully-I have a few leads. IMO though, with a 3.8 I wouldn't worry too much if you get a low grade in this course. Not unless you're trying to get into what few bulge bracket IBs are left.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,758 times
GPA does matter and has an impact on your first job and how much money you will make. Higher paying jobs are more competitive, which means you are going to be competing with people that have good GPAs. Generally, anything over a 3.0 is good. If it is less, you might have to explain yourself or make up for it in work experience or other activities. Several people with a low GPA do extremely well, but you might just have to start off with a crappy first job.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:10 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
If you're a senior with a 3.8 gpa, you'll be fine. The equation for gpa calculation is weighted and hence biased towards freshman and soph year (obviously). As far as it affecting your job...I used to think it mattered. I interviewed 3 people last week for a contract position and it didn't even dawn on me to look for a gpa. Two of them were fresh out of school with only interneships under their belts. It didn't dawn on any of the folk interviewing in our group. It certainly didn't come up today in our meeting when we made the pick. What's important is your senior research, directed studies, volunteer work, internships, anything that will give you some experience. Go work with a prof for the rest of the year (for free if you have to).

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times
by the time I graduated college, I had three internships, and I came highly recommended, but none of the recruiters chose me, and I had to find a job without the schools' help

while these chicks who were presidents of some useless clubs, and had high gpa's, but could not complete an assignment without crying, scratching someone's eyes out, and getting all emotional were given jobs, but they looked cute while doing it

It is all about politics

having internships, and high gpa's, and being cool with the right people are all important

Now being in the right circles is even more important though

Do you have a good network?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:19 PM

703 posts, read 2,942,292 times
Like the previous poster stated, maybe for the first job then no one cares. Heck, my undergrad GPA was 2.7 and GPA within my major was 2.5. Guess what my GPA from graduate school was? 3.85 (Ph.D. Medical Neuropharmacology from a major medical school) where there's all the pressure and stress of either getting an 'A' in every class or risk being kicked out of the program with even a 'B' grade.

High school GPA is obviously very important in that it's one of the most important determinant of which college will accept you.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
It depends on if you want to go to grad school and if you do what kind of grad school. I was a finance major too and have never had anyone ask me what my gpa was. Of course I graduated ten years ago and the job market was very different.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:24 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
only for your first job getting leg in the door or if you want to grad school. for jobs if they ask your gpa within major is going to be more important, same thing for SOME grad schools... they just weight your junior/senior year in the field you are applying to, others like law schools will weight your cumulative. every schools have a different rubric though. many favor the gre, lsat, gmat higher though as the rigor of different universities can have a wide range.
who you know in smaller cities is going to prove more important than in bigger towns where there is much more # of jobs available and not everybody knows each other.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
everyone gets this experience at some point.
with the way the economy is going just get thru it.
the depreciation on degrees is in a nose dive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education