Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:20 AM

146 posts, read 641,408 times

Advertisements

According to State Law it is against the law to charge parents a fee for a class that gives credit in public school. Though many school districts that are facing a budget crisis, have started to charge fees to attend some classes. In most cases these are elective classes like physical education, art, foreign languages, etc.

Here is a link about one school district that is doing this and the parents frustrations.

Class Fees Upset Parents Of Montgomery County Students - Education News Story - WRC | Washington

The fees are relatively low but it is the principal of it and if this becomes common then the fees will go much higher. That do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Parents should be careful what they ask for because without these fees many schools will simply not offer these classes.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:54 AM

146 posts, read 641,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Parents should be careful what they ask for because without these fees many schools will simply not offer these classes.
The parents feel that if the fees are allowed to stand that they will open up the door to a new set of fees for all kinds of things. The fees will go up a little bit each year and will eventually be required for all classes except English, Math and Science.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Haven't schools always required a fee of some sort for these types of classes? Not that they ever flat out called them fees, but kids were always required to furnish supplementals out of their own pockets. Gym uniforms, band equipment, foreign language dictionaries, various art supplies, none of these required items were supplied by the schools when I was a student, nor when my kids were in school.
So are these schools supplying the materials and charging fees? If so, I don't see much cause for upset. OTOH if they are charging a fee just for the instruction and students are still required to pay for materials I would have a problem with that. I don't see how a public school could justify making students pay for classroom instruction, even for electives.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
Come on, Chemistry? What's next, we'll just teach the kids how to read and write and cut them loose? There has to be some agreement about what is necessary and what is not. As far as I am concerned, anythign going on during school hours should not be fee based.

If it is extracurricular, fine.

Many schools have gone to uniforms for kids for school and gym just as a way to control what these kids are wearing. I am all for uniforms (as long as the school is not ridiculous about where they come from-- my cousins kids go to a catholic school and the white peter pan collar tshirts have to come from anywhere but the light and dark blue ones must come from the school supply store and the khakis have to come from lands end but the navy pants can come from walmart-- IMO that is ridiculous.)

Old 08-21-2008, 02:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Come on, Chemistry? What's next, we'll just teach the kids how to read and write and cut them loose? There has to be some agreement about what is necessary and what is not. As far as I am concerned, anythign going on during school hours should not be fee based.

If it is extracurricular, fine.

Many schools have gone to uniforms for kids for school and gym just as a way to control what these kids are wearing. I am all for uniforms (as long as the school is not ridiculous about where they come from-- my cousins kids go to a catholic school and the white peter pan collar tshirts have to come from anywhere but the light and dark blue ones must come from the school supply store and the khakis have to come from lands end but the navy pants can come from walmart-- IMO that is ridiculous.)
At my son's school all the tops and all the bottoms have to come from the uniform supply store. It's great. Just order the stuff online and have them deliver it to the house. No shopping.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,400 times
Quote:
Haven't schools always required a fee of some sort for these types of classes? Not that they ever flat out called them fees, but kids were always required to furnish supplementals out of their own pockets
Yeah, that is how I remember it. When I took wood/metal/auto shop you had to pay for all your supplies. Same with gym.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Haven't schools always required a fee of some sort for these types of classes? Not that they ever flat out called them fees, but kids were always required to furnish supplementals out of their own pockets. Gym uniforms, band equipment, foreign language dictionaries, various art supplies, none of these required items were supplied by the schools when I was a student, nor when my kids were in school.
So are these schools supplying the materials and charging fees? If so, I don't see much cause for upset. OTOH if they are charging a fee just for the instruction and students are still required to pay for materials I would have a problem with that. I don't see how a public school could justify making students pay for classroom instruction, even for electives.
at my high school, it was required to take phys ed, some foreign language, and a certain number of art and music classes. students were never charged for these. we did have a class period every Thurs just for elective classes and in many cases, students had to pay for supplies in those classes (for example, I signed up for a few jewelry making classes and had to pay for the supplies) but many were free (and students had the option to just use the time as a study hall). I don't get how you can charge fees for classes many are required to take anyways (paying a supply fee for a dictionary for a foreign language class?).

kids shouldn't have to pay to take classes like phys. ed, art, music, and foreign languages. these classes should be mandatory and free. it makes me sad to see these classes disappearing from school curriculum

Old 08-22-2008, 07:09 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
So basically, we're looking at more inefficiency to run a school program.

Gee, and my diploma required 3 years of a single language (or 2 of one and 2 of another), 4 elective classes, 2 Fine Art classes, and the PE was mandatory for all Freshies and Sophmores.

Have the kids/parents pay for their own supplies. Attendance is free, supplies not. And make sure to let everyone know the approximate cost of supplies for a year. Students/Parents should not have to pay for their child to attend a course in high school.

If there isn't enough money for Brushing Hair 101 and not enough attendance, then get rid of the class.

If they are really hurting for money, why not have schools split the costs of a teacher and offer these electives and such as distance learning courses? I've seen it firsthand done in a high school setting... and it worked wonders.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
We paid fees way back in the dark ages when I was in high school. I remember a lab fee for biology and chemistry for sure. Our kids' school still requires 'shop' classes and they have to pay a fee for materials. I think DS paid $10 last year for the cost of the wood. Big deal. If you can't afford it (free/reduced lunch) you don't have to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education