Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree on this. I've encountered some really good teachers, and I've encountered a few that just seem not to care. The majority of teachers are happy to have a parent who shows interest in their child, and who wants to keep a full line of communication open. It's the ones that don't reciprocate when you're trying to set up a meeting or contact them.

I've seen comments on thread boards from teachers referring the kids they teach as "animals", and a waste of a human being. To me, that's totally WRONG.

Also keep in mind that I've lived in urban areas throughout my lifetimes. There tends to be a lot more issues with children statistically, than in a more upper class area.
You seem to still be missing the point. Your daughter is in high school and needs to learn to manage these things for herself. You need to make the transition from you managing her education to her managing it herself, with you as a coach and adviser, stepping in only when absolutely necessary. In high school there is no need for you to be in constant contact with all of her teachers. We ask our kid for a weekly update (in addition to the daily 'How was your day?' 'Fine.' conversation, lol), get progress reports and report cards. If there is an 'issue' we send him to talk to the teacher to work it out. With one exception he has been able to handle it. I've only spoken to one of his teachers this year. As he takes more responsibility for his own self our level of involvement decreases. This is part of the process of your children growing into fully functioning adults.

However, It looks like you may have to get involved here...if she has been attending classes and doing work just in the wrong time slot they should switch her classes and give her full credit. The teachers should have picked up on the mix-up. But she should be awarded a big ol' stupid badge for not being able to manage only 4 classes. Really, it's not that hard and I can't figure out how she was so 'confused'. It's FOUR classes, read the schedule!! I'd let her know that if she has a repeat episode of stupidity that you will let her manage it herself. Maybe that will mean taking a class again over the summer. I bet she'd be able to figure it out next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
You seem to still be missing the point. Your daughter is in high school and needs to learn to manage these things for herself. You need to make the transition from you managing her education to her managing it herself, with you as a coach and adviser, stepping in only when absolutely necessary. In high school there is no need for you to be in constant contact with all of her teachers. We ask our kid for a weekly update (in addition to the daily 'How was your day?' 'Fine.' conversation, lol), get progress reports and report cards. If there is an 'issue' we send him to talk to the teacher to work it out. With one exception he has been able to handle it. I've only spoken to one of his teachers this year. As he takes more responsibility for his own self our level of involvement decreases. This is part of the process of your children growing into fully functioning adults.

However, It looks like you may have to get involved here...if she has been attending classes and doing work just in the wrong time slot they should switch her classes and give her full credit. The teachers should have picked up on the mix-up. But she should be awarded a big ol' stupid badge for not being able to manage only 4 classes. Really, it's not that hard and I can't figure out how she was so 'confused'. It's FOUR classes, read the schedule!! I'd let her know that if she has a repeat episode of stupidity that you will let her manage it herself. Maybe that will mean taking a class again over the summer. I bet she'd be able to figure it out next year.
I completely understand where you are coming from, and I do agree with you with regards to her initiative.

As a parent, I want her to be successful and not fail. This is the reason why I'm so upset about the whole thing.

I would also like to be informed before it's too late of things like this happening. Then it just becomes too late.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,517 times
Quote:

EXACTLY. The only point I disagree with is that the mother has to get involved.

I have a 15 year old who is a sophomore. She started school this year after being out and homeschooled for a number of years. On her first day, I prompted her on where she needed to be at which time, went over her schedule with her, and sent her off with the directions that should she run into trouble, she should go to the guidance office (here it's called the Direction Center).

Well, she spent a LOT of time in that office the first two weeks of school, but she did it on her own and got straightened out without me there doing any of the talking. GOOD JOB BABY MUFFIN !!! She has gained a HUGE amount of self confidence.

The block system is 4 blocks a day, alternating every other day. Four classes one day, and four different ones the next. Typically students keep one block open and carry 6 or 7 classes, although some carry 8.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
I completely agree! Your daughter should not be penalized for missing the other class. Can she transfer into the class she was already going to? Afterall, it hasn't been a problem with that teacher for 2months!
Yes, she should, since she is responsible for knowing her schedule. Lessons learned sometimes are bitter, but not repeated.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I'll have to disagree on this. I've encountered some really good teachers, and I've encountered a few that just seem not to care. The majority of teachers are happy to have a parent who shows interest in their child, and who wants to keep a full line of communication open. It's the ones that don't reciprocate when you're trying to set up a meeting or contact them.

I've seen comments on thread boards from teachers referring the kids they teach as "animals", and a waste of a human being. To me, that's totally WRONG.

Also keep in mind that I've lived in urban areas throughout my lifetimes. There tends to be a lot more issues with children statistically, than in a more upper class area.
Upper class area, that's funny.

Few is the key word here.

In one sentence you are saying you disagree, and the next one you are agreeing.

Being an involved parent is not the same in high school as in middle and elementary school. Of course teachers are happy when a parent keeps up with kids' grades and work, but contacting the school every day and expecting a report from every teacher is taking all responsibility from your daughter for her education.

Do your daughter a huge favor and don't hold her hand throughout high school. College is right around the corner and unless you plan to go with her, she needs to know how to cope with schedules and people all on her own.

High school is the transition time for kids to learn how to go to the right people for help and not depend on parents for everything, with the parent nearby at home to go to when needed for ADVICE. For college, you won't be so close.

Has she no ownership in the confusion with HER classes? Of course she has. Let her deal with it and learn that SHE needs to take responsibility for the confusion herself. After all, it is her mistake, not the mistake of the teachers or admin..

Old 03-26-2009, 09:32 AM

I'm not calling the school every day! I didn't know this was happening until I got an email from the teacher. My thing is if this was CONSISTENTLY happening, I should have been notified sooner. That way I could nip it in the bud and correct it before it got out of hand. This is my point, entirely.

If something like this causes her to fail, I don't care what anyone says, I'm getting involved. 50% grade is not acceptable to me, and it should not be acceptable to her.

To those who have never dealt with urban schools, you will never be able to relate to me! Too many teachers there have dealt with poor student achievement, lack of parental involvement, and many kids just not showing up or graduating. I just refuse to let my child become one of those statistics that society expects her to be.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post

The block system is 4 blocks a day, alternating every other day. Four classes one day, and four different ones the next. Typically students keep one block open and carry 6 or 7 classes, although some carry 8.
Oh, that's not at all how our 'block' schedules are. The students have 4 classes each semester, only 4. I thought OP's dd was mixing up 3rd and 4th period somehow but she is going to the classes on the wrong days? Oy.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Oh, that's not at all how our 'block' schedules are. The students have 4 classes each semester, only 4. I thought OP's dd was mixing up 3rd and 4th period somehow but she is going to the classes on the wrong days? Oy.
She does have 4 classes a day, with rotating classes on different days of the week for 3rd and 4th periods. She was getting her 3rd period rotating classes confused. She was going to the opposite class in that period.

We are in Massachusetts. I just relocated here from Connecticut. In Connecticut, she only had 4 classes per semester, with no rotating classes.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:42 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,618 times
Did they not take attendance? What did she do when her name wasn't called?

I hold the student accountable but I also hold the teacher accountable. For nothing more than safety. In todays world, teachers need to know how many students are in their room, should some tragedy/crisis happen. Thats more of a worry to me, than the student being confused over her schedule. I certainly would address that with the prinicpal.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
She does have 4 classes a day, with rotating classes on different days of the week for 3rd and 4th periods. She was getting her 3rd period rotating classes confused. She was going to the opposite class in that period.

We are in Massachusetts. I just relocated here from Connecticut. In Connecticut, she only had 4 classes per semester, with no rotating classes.
OK, I understand that now.

So, send her in to the guidance office and see what they can work out with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education