Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
The only thing my oldest daughter was taught throughout the entire school year in Texas last year was how to pass the TAKS test. I am being dead serious. Very little of her curriculum had to do with what I used to know as the core subjects. Every reading assignment I ever saw her with at home mimicked the reading section of the TAKS. Math was nearly the same way.

They didn't - as you say - stress them out directly before the test. They stressed them out about the test ALL YEAR LONG. They pounded the test into them until all she ever talked about was the test. I guess there were also weekly goals (?) that were related to it. I can't remember what they were called. They actually had her worried that she may not pass it. She had a perfect score on all parts....100%. Only 4 kids in the district had a perfect score.

I'm very happy to get her (and the other two) to Kansas in a good school here. I realize Kansas has their own set of standards and have their own exam but they don't harp on it like they did in Texas.
So basically, what the kids were taught, was how to take a test. Only study what you know will be on one. Nothing is more important than passing that test. Nothing else matters.

That's down right sad. I'd opt for Kansas as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I suppose we are not the norm when it comes to the TAKS. Our school doesn't do all the hype, doesn't put tremendous emphasis on it like many others seem to get.

Sure they have practice things occasionally and some of their math homework is from released TAKS tests, but they are exactly what they are teaching in the curriculum anyway, not something entirely different.

When it comes time for the tests, there's not anything but a passing mention to the kids (nothing sent home) to get a good night's sleep and a good breakfast the next morning. No big build ups, no extra push to be ready. It's like just a small blip on the radar. Heck if I wasn't involved and didn't check the calendar, I wouldn't even know when they were taking the tests!

Test results came out last week for the Reading TAKS and they sent home the results in an envelope and had no discussion about them at all.

Now, I will say that yesterday my 5th grader came out of school with a Blow Pop and a giggle. She says they took a Science Benchmark test last week in prep for the TAKS. (5th grade is the first year they even have to take a Science TAKS) She had the highest score out of the entire 5th grade, only missing one question. So, they gave her a Blow Pop. Not such a big deal...eh? haha
This is the way it should be.

I am so glad that my daughter has been homeschooled and is now in high school only part time. She has never been victim to standardized tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:25 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,264,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
So basically, what the kids were taught, was how to take a test. Only study what you know will be on one. Nothing is more important than passing that test. Nothing else matters.

That's down right sad. I'd opt for Kansas as well.
That's right. And you know what it's all about, my friend? Money. In order to get funding from the state the kids have to 1) Do well on the TAKS and 2) Have good attendance.

OK this is a little OT but the summer before last a letter with a survey was sent to our home about the possibility of having school uniforms. The survey wasn't about
"Do you want school uniforms?"
"Would you strongly object to having school uniforms?"
"Would you have issues affording school uniforms?"

NO. There was only one question.

"Would having school uniforms possibly affect your child's attendance?"

Huh?....and then think about it. They don't want attendance to fall dramatically because that means less funding for them. So they didn't want school uniforms if it meant that parents may decide to send their kids somewhere else for school. The result was they decided not to implement uniforms. Whatever. We aren't there anymore to deal with the nonsense.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:38 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,893,114 times
The Butterfly Method (BTW, I found it on Google) is a way of converting fractions using the Least Common Denominator of 2 fractions by first working on the bottom numbers (denominators) and then calculating the revised top numbers, or numerators. The diagram (with the red arrows), is where I think the "butterfly" terminology came from...they look like wings! And yes it appears to be new since I've never heard this method referred to as butterfly before.

http://www.accd.edu/sac/math/faculty/lgreene/SACwebsite/Basic%20Math%20Class%20Notes/Fractions.doc (broken link)

Old 04-01-2009, 12:42 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
Quote:

"Would having school uniforms possibly affect your child's attendance?"

Huh?....and then think about it. They don't want attendance to fall dramatically because that means less funding for them. So they didn't want school uniforms if it meant that parents may decide to send their kids somewhere else for school. The result was they decided not to implement uniforms. Whatever. We aren't there anymore to deal with the nonsense.
Having been on a committee to discuss going to uniforms, I can tell you that most likely was not at all what they meant. (For the record, I was against uniforms and in the end the school voted against them for varying reasons) Instead, they are actually looking for ways to increase attendance.

In being on that committee, I read study after study showing that:
*uniforms generally cost less than a typical school clothes budget
*uniforms reduced morning stress by making what the kids wear a non issue
*uniforms put kids on a more level playing field
*uniforms allowed students to focus on education and not fashion

All of those things play a heavy roll in daily attendance, and schools are always looking for something to encourage families to get their kids to school regularly. Kids can't learn if they aren't there.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
The Butterfly Method (BTW, I found it on Google) is a way of converting fractions using the Least Common Denominator of 2 fractions by first working on the bottom numbers (denominators) and then calculating the revised top numbers, or numerators. The diagram (with the red arrows), is where I think the "butterfly" terminology came from...they look like wings! And yes it appears to be new since I've never heard this method referred to as butterfly before.

http://www.accd.edu/sac/math/faculty/lgreene/SACwebsite/Basic%20Math%20Class%20Notes/Fractions.doc (broken link)
I've never known this as 'the butterfly method'.

But it does fit the intention of the original candy bar problem.

1/2 is to 5/8
what 4/8 is to 5/8

you're just finding a common denominator....that's all.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
All of those things play a heavy roll in daily attendance, and schools are always looking for something to encourage families to get their kids to school regularly. Kids can't learn if they aren't there.
We were actually in favor of the uniforms if they wanted to go that route. And I know a lot of other parents were as well. The 6th grade campus had already started going to uniforms so we realized we were going to have to do it eventually. May as well start doing it now right?

Kids can't learn if they are not there. That is an accurate statement. They also had a pretty strict attendance policy.

But the school's funding does depend on attendance. It's a fact.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:23 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,318 times
Quote:
But the school's funding does depend on attendance. It's a fact.
Another thing they do is get as many kids applying for free or reduced lunches as possible. Cha-Ching. Applications have gone out 4 times this year to parents for them.

Yet another factor (falls into the attendance category), is homeschooling. Schools hate when kids are kept out of school because they are homeschooled.

My daughter is now going to high school part time. The state considers her homeschooled, as has been the case for a number of years, however, the school is bent because she is not a regestered student. She is there, but they cannot receive any money for her because she is not full time.

It's pitiful that education has become so da**** political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education