Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 03:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary33770 View Post
Yes, I pulled my son out of the IEP and put him in regular classes.
You mean that you pulled him out of special education classes, not the IEP. You can have a child in regular classes with an IEP, but you would need to have your IEP team on board.

Quote:
The teacher complained about him every day. Later, I learned from my son that he was sitting in a corner almost every day since the New Year. Is that fair?
What exactly were they complaining about? No, it is not fair that he was sitting alone in a corner, but you need to find out why that was the case.

Quote:
I don't really know what goes on in the classrooms, and they will never tell, that is what pisses me off and when I attend Observation Day, it was like "OH MY GOSH, HE WAS SUCH A GOOD BOY TODAY." as if they are so amazed. This is all political bull****, and it is our kids who will pay in the end.
What were your observations when you were in the classroom? Is your child verbal enough to tell you something about what happens to him?

Quote:
Public schools get govt funding. If they could they would have everyone on IEP, but i think they can only have a small percentage, so they really hold on to the IEP kids. Especially, if you are from a poor neighborhood.

This is simply not true. Special education costs more money than it brings in and the federal and state governments mandate the programs, but do not fund them

Quote:
BUT I intend to be an attentive mother and teach him on my own. They say the curriculum is the same, but who knows if it really is? Even for Afterschool and Saturday activities, they only allow the smart kids to be there. My son may not be able to sit and keep still but, he has been mastering LEGO since he turned 6 years old and can make a lot of things. Some of the "SMART" kids cant even do what my son does.
They cannot legally keep a child out of these activities if they are funded by the public school. However, these may be separate from the school and you may need to pay for him to be there in that case.

Quote:
They had him being counseled and took him to doctors and neurologists and psychologists all telling me that he has ADHD without any PROPER documentation. Everything they did was subjective.
Counseled for what? What behavior problems was he having? Schools and teachers cannot diagnose anything. If he saw a psychologist or neurologist, there should have been documentation. However, ADHD dxes are based on questionaires you, the teachers and the doctors fill out from your observations. Did you fill out a questionaire about his behavior?

Quote:
I had a big fight with his OT teacher and she was pointing the finger at me and shaking her head, I thought, this could be happening to my son. One of the school psychologist recommended my son to get his eyes checked at LensCrafters because they have a free program. Hallelujah, a man with a brain. The doctor said that my son had a eyelash that was poking right into his eyes and causing redness and pain along with eye allergies. So the doctor plucked out the eyelash and instantaneously felt better. I felt so bad, he kept complaining his eyes hurt for a year and a half and the eye drops didn't help much.
The school is not responsible for dxing eye problems though they can suggest that you have him checked. I am glad you got his vision checked and that they found and fixed the problem, but I do not see how you can blame the school for your own inability to see an eye doctor if your son was complaining of eye pain. That's really on you even if you have no money. There are programs and as a mother you need to find them.

Quote:
I am so upset with the school, they want our children to be the next generation of drug addicts and I will not stand for this.
Schools have no stake in having your child on meds, but... ADHD childen often need meds. If your child had diabetes, would you deny him his insulin? If the doctor determines that medication can help, it won't hurt to try them. Certainly, you may want to try modifications of diet and discipline first, but sometimes medication is the only thing that works.

Quote:
I will always stand up for my son's rights. I hope everyone else will too. Its not fair that some children get left behind especially if they are really smart, but just have a hard time coordinating it.
This is a really old thread, but since you are a new poster, I will comment. Please do have your son get a complete evaluation if you feel the school's evaluation is unfair. Start with his pediatrician and get a referral to a good developmental pediatrician, assuming he does not already have a dx. You say, the school is providing OT - what have they done? Is it just for writing issues or does the OT have other training? You may want to look at private OT if he needs it - if you have insurance, it may be covered.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-11-2014 at 07:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,864 times
I don't have time to read all the responses, but hopefully someone has pointed out that IEP is not a program. What the parent wants is actually to change the service hours and delivery of services on the IEP, not to get rid of the IEP. Actually getting rid of an IEP is just plain foolish, as I'm sure many have explained. There is no reason the staff cannot move her back to the regular classroom (leave restrictive environment) and just alter the IEP to reflect that. Hate it when parents have such a poor understanding of school programs and then make foolish moves because they just don't know what they are doing.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 PM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,485,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Hate it when parents have such a poor understanding of school programs and then make foolish moves because they just don't know what they are doing.

Excuse me?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,666 times
Default iep

My son was in an ED iep. It was very difficult to get the schools to get him out once he matured to his age. They get lots of money for keeping them in. An iep will also follow you for jobs such as any millitary speciality, or pilot or police accademy, fire man etc... its your right to pull your child out. Don't let the instructors manipulate you. You have to be sort of mean and stern to them to get what you need done. if all fails, you can home school for a month or two or a year would be best and the iep will drop since most charter homeschools do not have certain iep's to accomodate. Then you can enrole back in to public without the iep attached.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:33 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtlove View Post
My son was in an ED iep. It was very difficult to get the schools to get him out once he matured to his age. They get lots of money for keeping them in. An iep will also follow you for jobs such as any millitary speciality, or pilot or police accademy, fire man etc... its your right to pull your child out. Don't let the instructors manipulate you. You have to be sort of mean and stern to them to get what you need done. if all fails, you can home school for a month or two or a year would be best and the iep will drop since most charter homeschools do not have certain iep's to accomodate. Then you can enrole back in to public without the iep attached.
This is simply not true. An IEP is a legal document. It is binding for a year, or sooner if dated so, from the date written. Pulling a child out of school does not change that. Once you reenroll the child their records are examined and if they had an IEP at the time they were withdrawn it is used until it expires or if it is expired it issued for up to 30 days until a meeting can happen.

If a parent no longer wishes their child to participate in an Individualized Education Plan all they have to do is call an IEP meeting and request to withdraw services. There is paperwork and yes most likely the school will advise against it if they feel the child is not ready, but it is the parents right. Just remember you can't change your mind a week later and demand it start back up again.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:30 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
No, they don't get a lot of money to keep them in. There are monies attached to special needs students but it does not cover all the expenses. That is a myth that needs to die a quick death. There are school systems on the verge of bankruptcy because such a high percentage of their students are special needs.

Also, almost always a child that needs an IEP is better off having one. There are protections given by IEPs for students. Among the things included are disciplinarian protections, such as limitations on suspensions and expulsions for ED students.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
The school gets paid to have your child there. Dr. UMAR Johnson had many videos about this on YouTube

Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times
Quote:
An iep will also follow you for jobs such as any millitary speciality, or pilot or police accademy, fire man etc... its your right to pull your child out. if all fails, you can home school for a month or two or a year would be best and the iep will drop since most charter homeschools do not have certain iep's to accomodate. Then you can enrole back in to public without the iep attached.
IEP's are for students under the age of 21. It stands for Individual Education Plan. It will not follow you out of the school system.

Charter schools are under the direction of the state as well, and also must follow federal guidelines, including Special Education law.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:17 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,553,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelian22b View Post
The school gets paid to have your child there. Dr. UMAR Johnson had many videos about this on YouTube

You Tube you say! Well, then it MUST be true!

Old 04-24-2015, 01:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Lots of incorrect info, here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education