Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

I didn't read all the replies but will say that bad spelling and grammar have never been so accepted! It comes from the internet, texting, and new generations of people raised on slang and informality.

Nowadays, you can find typos, bad spelling and grammar in print and all over the internet. So, the OP's post is very poorly timed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:34 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I didn't read all the replies but will say that bad spelling and grammar have never been so accepted! It comes from the internet, texting, and new generations of people raised on slang and informality.

Nowadays, you can find typos, bad spelling and grammar in print and all over the internet. So, the OP's post is very poorly timed.
It's not just on the internet. I notice it on the news, TV, movies, just everywhere!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
Skimming through this statement, I can honestly say I could understand what was conveyed; however, when I come across posts like this, they annoy me and I skip right past them.
I was put on this Earth to annoy people just like you.... Thanks for making my day on Earth worth while today...

Old 10-23-2009, 06:52 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,858 times
My impression is that it doesn't come from texting so much as it comes from a general hurry and sloppiness and not being observant. Because I see older adults do it too -- adults who didn't grow up texting.

When I was growing up, spelling things wrong was something many people felt embarrassed about, because it implied you didn't go to school or pay attention in school. These days, people don't seem embarrassed by anything, especially younger people.

The main attitude I get coming from younger people is that they're too "hard-working" to slow down and do little things correctly, because they're so brilliant (after all, their parents and teachers told them so) and on their way to curing cancer. They're so busy winning, they don't have TIME to spell the word "lose" correctly!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:43 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
My impression is that it doesn't come from texting so much as it comes from a general hurry and sloppiness and not being observant. Because I see older adults do it too -- adults who didn't grow up texting.

When I was growing up, spelling things wrong was something many people felt embarrassed about, because it implied you didn't go to school or pay attention in school. These days, people don't seem embarrassed by anything, especially younger people.

The main attitude I get coming from younger people is that they're too "hard-working" to slow down and do little things correctly, because they're so brilliant (after all, their parents and teachers told them so) and on their way to curing cancer. They're so busy winning, they don't have TIME to spell the word "lose" correctly!
I hope the Houston Texans don't "loose" today.... Sorry, I just couldn't help myself....LOL

Old 10-25-2009, 05:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
Maybe it is because the schools have put so much emphasis on having no shame for laziness.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM

437 posts, read 930,029 times
great i regret this thread.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:40 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
When I am at school, I try to do good in not making any errors. I do have trouble with adjectives, adverbs, and a lot more. Yes when i am in the real world; I will be using good spelling and grammar.
I frequently get confuzed about colons, semi-colons, commas.

and how to spell confused....

Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Have you learned anything from it?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:31 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
I have a standing approach to share with you:

"Never ask any questions that you don't want the answers to."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education