Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times

Advertisements

Wow. The kids got a piece of candy for turning in forms in a timely manner at the beginning of the year. Extra credit for it? I guess I should let nothing surprise me.

I send in foaming soap because I know the liquid soap dispenser not only runs out but the kids tend to use too much and it takes forever to wash hands with 20 kids. I give the teacher the foaming kind b/c it rinses off faster, not so she will give my son a better grade.

I never would have thought of that concept. Its so weird, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Wow. The kids got a piece of candy for turning in forms in a timely manner at the beginning of the year. Extra credit for it? I guess I should let nothing surprise me.

I send in foaming soap because I know the liquid soap dispenser not only runs out but the kids tend to use too much and it takes forever to wash hands with 20 kids. I give the teacher the foaming kind b/c it rinses off faster, not so she will give my son a better grade.

What I find odd is more parents don't think like you. I never heard of bringing in consumables for extra credit before becomming a teacher. My intro was as a student teacher when I had to do it because it was my mentor's policy.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post

Wow, and to think I've heard it all.

Here they give out school supply list during the beginning of the year for each kid and no one that I know of gets credit for this.

This is nothing more than bribing teachers for a better grade and should not be allowed at all.

busta

Old 11-03-2009, 09:57 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
It doesn't just occur in elementary school. In the past my high schoolers have raided my pantry for canned goods. Five cans= one homework grade.

I had to edit to add the food was going to a food pantry, not the teacher.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,815 times
I don't fault the teachers for this policy. However, these kids get into college and expect the same thing. On the plus side, they're willing to write a paper for the extra credit. Ghod forbid, they spend the time STUDYING, rather than writing a bullsh*t paper.

But they get fluff points in college too. They get points just for showing up. Seriously.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,315,479 times
Why the heck is hand sanitizer allowed in the classroom? Where are the lessons that proper hand washing kills more germs than hand sanitizer with a lower environmental impact?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,749,141 times
Wow. I had no clue you could buy grades.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
With my son's school they have a "parent participation clause" you agree to volunteer for 20 hours of service at the school or you can bring in supplies. Every $10 worth of supplies equates to 1 hour. I actually love this idea because if it weren’t for that clause I’d probably get stuck with doing all volunteer work or bringing all the supplies; too many friends in the educational system for me to be one of “those” parents.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As school systems cut or declare items like soap, Kleenex, paper towels and even toilet paper non-essentials this is happening more and more. Also included is copier paper, art supplies, work and review books and chalk.
My school doesn't buy printer printer paper, white board markers, hand soap, hand sanitizer, cleaning supplies, paper towels (I asked that they fill the dispenser in my room once (remember it doubles as a lab) and I was told I'd be billed for that or hand sanitizer. They don't supply office supplies either. We buy our own pencils, pens, paper clips, staplers, etc, etc, etc....I even had to buy calculators for my students to use. Unfortunately, they've stolen most of them so we don't have them so use anymore. I buy my own demo items including chemicals and often things for the class to do. You know, this was NOT in the job description.

I'd love to see something like the apple tree mentioned above. I'm sure there are parents who would help without extra credit being involved. They just don't think to. So, parents, next time you pick up a bottle of hand sanitizer, make it two and take one to your child's school. We're trying very hard to make sure H1N1 doesn't spread but we're stretched pretty thin.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I don't fault the teachers for this policy. However, these kids get into college and expect the same thing. On the plus side, they're willing to write a paper for the extra credit. Ghod forbid, they spend the time STUDYING, rather than writing a bullsh*t paper.

But they get fluff points in college too. They get points just for showing up. Seriously.
I know. It cracks me up that they wouldn't need the extra credit if they did the regular work and, God forbid, STUDIED. That just doesn't cross their minds. Somehow they think they'll make the grade without working and when that doesn't work, they want a quick way out.

If this is our future, we're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education