Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times

Advertisements

LOL...I think my HS teachers would have laughed at me for asking for extra credit to begin with. If by the end of the term I hadn't managed to achieve the grade I was trying for it was sure too late to be asking for more opportunities. Then again I wasn't on the dunce track.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
It's interesting that when I do give extra credit (subjec related), it always seems to be the kids who don't need it who do it. Even though I've given some heavy weight extra credit assignments (like entire labs intended to make up for a missed one), they haven't resulted in passing a student who would have failed yet. It usually just bumps a grade.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My school doesn't buy printer printer paper, white board markers, hand soap, hand sanitizer, cleaning supplies, paper towels (I asked that they fill the dispenser in my room once (remember it doubles as a lab) and I was told I'd be billed for that or hand sanitizer. They don't supply office supplies either. We buy our own pencils, pens, paper clips, staplers, etc, etc, etc....I even had to buy calculators for my students to use. Unfortunately, they've stolen most of them so we don't have them so use anymore. I buy my own demo items including chemicals and often things for the class to do. You know, this was NOT in the job description.

I'd love to see something like the apple tree mentioned above. I'm sure there are parents who would help without extra credit being involved. They just don't think to. So, parents, next time you pick up a bottle of hand sanitizer, make it two and take one to your child's school. We're trying very hard to make sure H1N1 doesn't spread but we're stretched pretty thin.
My son's school doesn't buy that stuff either so they constantly have a fundraiser going. They're also doing this thing where they exchange empty ink cartridges for reams of paper and asking parents to bring in plastic bottles to be recycled. What's the apple tree thing - I scanned the posts prior to yours but I missed it

Old 11-03-2009, 01:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
At Christmas our old school had a tree where the teachers put up requests for classroom supplies they needed and the kids could give them that as a present. As opposed to getting 30 dollar store scented candles or lotion etc...What a great idea. I bet that is the same thing as the apple tree but the apple tree probably goes year round.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:30 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I have never heard of such a thing. My son's teachers have put out newsletters every month with lists of whatever is needed in the classroom. I am not aware of them having a problem getting donations but the thought of getting extra credit for donations is absolutely ludicrous.

I remember when my son was in Kindergarten I was so mad when I found out that if you brought your report card back right away you would get to pick a treat out of the treat box. My DH worked very long, strange hours and might not be home for two days to see the report card. It greatly annoyed me that the children were being rewarded for things that were the parents responsibility.
Aren't most report cards online now? I'm
just asking, because they are here. You can go online anytime also and check out how they are doing in between report card time.

Last edited by Houston3; 11-03-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 01:35 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Aren't most report cards online now? I'm
just asking, because they are here. You can go online anytime also an check out how they are doing in between report card time.
That sounds pretty cool. We don't have that here. I have seen other schools, mostly at middle school and higher, that do that. And those levels it seems more important too b/c parental involvement decreases somewhat as the kids are supposed to be getting more independent with their work.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Wow! How many boxes of Kleenex for a master's degree?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
That sounds pretty cool. We don't have that here. I have seen other schools, mostly at middle school and higher, that do that. And those levels it seems more important too b/c parental involvement decreases somewhat as the kids are supposed to be getting more independent with their work.
I'm glad they didn't have it when I was in school, I stayed in enough trouble as it was...

Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Wow! How many boxes of Kleenex for a master's degree?
Two train car loads, delivered.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:45 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Two train car loads, delivered.
Hmmm? I wonder how much for a PhD? That should land me a job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education