Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM

604 posts, read 750,984 times

Advertisements

What exactly is the point of school? I'm talking Elementary, Junior High, and Senior High.

Honestly, our teachers know we don't understand, except a select few, as kids, we treat school as a place to hang out with friends, with some guidelines... we have homework, which they tend to pile on, if we do extracurriculars we fall behind and don't have time for a life.

Food is HORRIBLE, some classes are useless, and the teachers tell us...

So I'm beginning to think the government uses them as a "day-care" a place for kids to stay away from parents, out of trouble, and give them a small education for life to come, although I don't feel I'll be prepared at all to go into the work-force when I'm done with High School, although college is my next goal..

Kings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 12:36 PM

408 posts, read 998,359 times
What alternative do you propose to high school?

I feel that without it, we'd be at an even lower standard.
We have to have some minimum to achieve in order to continue progressing and advancing humanity.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
The point of school is to teach you how to learn. With a few minor exceptions, so is college. The idea is that when you go out to the workforce, you have "learned how to learn", so that your employers can teach you want you need to know.

You're right, you're probably never going to need to analyze Romeo & Juliet or use the law of cosines once you're done with school. If you can do those tasks though, you will more likely be able to learn how to program the computer in a new language, create relevant training guides for a software, or conduct client meetings to analyze their requirements (all things I did in my first job out of college).

Old 04-21-2010, 12:56 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
The way things are these days, I agree with Kings. There is so much riff-raff in school that the basics are lost. Most of it is useless.

High school is necessary, as are elementary and middle school. What needs to happen is for education to go back to it's roots with basics being taught and understood. With raw math (not anything like Every Day Math and the like), basic reading/language skills, world geography and social studies and foreign language, anybody can go anywhere and be a success in college and in life.

As it is now, it's useless.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:58 PM

253 posts, read 795,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
What exactly is the point of school? I'm talking Elementary, Junior High, and Senior High.

Honestly, our teachers know we don't understand, except a select few, as kids, we treat school as a place to hang out with friends, with some guidelines... we have homework, which they tend to pile on, if we do extracurriculars we fall behind and don't have time for a life.

Food is HORRIBLE, some classes are useless, and the teachers tell us...

So I'm beginning to think the government uses them as a "day-care" a place for kids to stay away from parents, out of trouble, and give them a small education for life to come, although I don't feel I'll be prepared at all to go into the work-force when I'm done with High School, although college is my next goal..

Kings
I'm in highschool as well and I agree.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The point of school is to teach you how to learn. With a few minor exceptions, so is college. The idea is that when you go out to the workforce, you have "learned how to learn", so that your employers can teach you want you need to know.

You're right, you're probably never going to need to analyze Romeo & Juliet or use the law of cosines once you're done with school. If you can do those tasks though, you will more likely be able to learn how to program the computer in a new language, create relevant training guides for a software, or conduct client meetings to analyze their requirements (all things I did in my first job out of college).
Say all K-12 education is based solely on getting the essentials down completely and college is used for specialization. Those who do not intend to go on to college would be in a better position by knowing how to read and do basic math and know some of the world around them, and those who go to college would have a solid foundation and better prepare them for specializing.

Win/win for everybody.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Say all K-12 education is based solely on getting the essentials down completely and college is used for specialization. Those who do not intend to go on to college would be in a better position by knowing how to read and do basic math and know some of the world around them, and those who go to college would have a solid foundation and better prepare them for specializing.

Win/win for everybody.

Yeah, but I don't think that it takes 13 years to get the basics down.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:26 PM

604 posts, read 750,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Yeah, but I don't think that it takes 13 years to get the basics down.

I'm about to fall asleep in chemistry, why should doing things I don't need to know bomb my grades and help force me to work harder to get to college?

Apprenticeships would be nicely re-instated in my opinion....

Why do I need to know Moles and dihydrogen oxide and 2Al2O3 etc etc etc?

I'm not gonna be a chemist or do anything along these lines!

I stay up doing homework, and get litte to no freetime, so its hard to stay awake when they're throwing boring stuff and MORE homework on us...

Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
I'm about to fall asleep in chemistry, why should doing things I don't need to know bomb my grades and help force me to work harder to get to college?

Apprenticeships would be nicely re-instated in my opinion....

Why do I need to know Moles and dihydrogen oxide and 2Al2O3 etc etc etc?

I'm not gonna be a chemist or do anything along these lines!

Exactly! Stuff like this should be electives.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:29 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post

Win/win for everybody.
I am all for alternatives to high school if you know you don't want to go. Once you can pass a basic test that says you know how to read, multiply, and tie your shoes, the remaining years can be spent learning something relevant to your future career--technical or trade school or whatever.

The problem is that I don't know what percentage 14 year olds really know what they want to do with the rest of their life. I hate to see people shutting doors before they're sure. That basic test to get out of traditional high school early ought to cover enough stuff to make going to college one day possible if the student changes their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education