Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 AM

71 posts, read 71,797 times

Advertisements

Tonight my elementary daughter was cheering at the local high school game. Before the game started, many high schoolers were outside the field blaring music through speakers that had every profanity and racial slur you could imagine. I couldn't believe it. And of course it was right by the entrance that the elementary kids were going into for the cheerleading event. And then during the event, the seniors were in the front of the bleachers using fowl language yelling towards the other team. And let's not get into what the girls were actually wearing to the event.

Then we just had a 2nd student die in the last 2 months from another local high school due to fentanyl overdose being snuck into counterfeit oxycodone pills.

I graduated from high school over 20+ years ago. Is this the new norm or is this unique to our area? My oldest will be going into HS in 2 years and I'm scared for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 06:41 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
A. No, none of the local schools would permit that. Music with that kind of language would not be permitted. Likewise students, whether senior or not, would not be permitted to use foul language or such toward the other team. If they did the game would be stopped and the offending school warned.

B. Cheerleaders have always worn skimpy uniforms. Even when I was in school 40 some years ago. Funny thing was looked at objectively, the cheerleader uniform would not meet school dress codes, yet cheerleaders were permitted to wear it on game days. This was at my kid's middle and high schools just a couple years ago. If any other girl came in dressed similarly in "civilian" clothes, they would have been sent home to change.

C. Unfortunately drugs have been around a while. Fentanyl is the scary one. There are organizations around here offering free overdose kits for parents. But even scarier than that are all these challenges going around the internet. One local middle school just had a student die a couple weeks ago from one of those on line challenges.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^I agree with most of this. I don't think such language/music would be allowed at my kids' schools, even 15-20 years ago. (Oldest DD was a freshman 21 years ago now. Wow!) And believe me, OP, this language in music, isn't something new, nor is the cursing by the students.

As far as the cheerleading outfits, yes, they've always been skimpy. Even in my day which was more like 50 years ago, the cheerleader skirts were above the knee while the rest of us had to wear mid-knee or longer. OTOH, my niece was a HS cheerleader these past 4 years, and she had to wear these huge silly bows in her hair, couldn't wear tons of jewelry, tattoos, etc.

Drug of choice back in my day was alcohol.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:18 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
A. No, none of the local schools would permit that. Music with that kind of language would not be permitted. Likewise students, whether senior or not, would not be permitted to use foul language or such toward the other team. If they did the game would be stopped and the offending school warned.

B. Cheerleaders have always worn skimpy uniforms. Even when I was in school 40 some years ago. Funny thing was looked at objectively, the cheerleader uniform would not meet school dress codes, yet cheerleaders were permitted to wear it on game days. This was at my kid's middle and high schools just a couple years ago. If any other girl came in dressed similarly in "civilian" clothes, they would have been sent home to change.

C. Unfortunately drugs have been around a while. Fentanyl is the scary one. There are organizations around here offering free overdose kits for parents. But even scarier than that are all these challenges going around the internet. One local middle school just had a student die a couple weeks ago from one of those on line challenges.
Good points. Our local HSs would not tolerate offensive language or music at sports events, too.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:29 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
I don’t think it’s the norm. I don’t hear music being blasted outside of games and if it clearly contained profanity school officials and/or parents would probably put an end to it.

I haven’t heard of any students at local high schools dying from drug use, but they are big schools and my own child is now in college.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:05 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
I interpreted the music as being played outside the stadium on personal speakers and assume the school would have little discretion over that. Did anyone ask the students to please turn it down, pointing out that there were young children present who were present to participate? Same for the seniors in the bleachers. The cursing among teenagers is nothing new but most will tone it down if alerted to the presence of young children.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:32 AM

It was played outside the stadium but on school property (right outside the school entry). I don't know if any parents went over there. There were at least 100 kids all together by it. For the bleachers, yes, we had a mom go off on the students about young children being present. I would say it toned down but it did still come out every once in a while.

As for the outfits, I wasn't referring to the cheerleading outfits, since they do seem around the same from when we went through. It was more what the girls in the stands were wearing. And yes, if kids wanted to experiment when we were younger, it was with alcohol. Or our neighboring school might have had weed. But the social media experiments, suicides, and hard core drugs are definitely something new. Another local high school (not the 2 mentioned above) is known as "The Pharmacy".

Good to know this isn't the norm around the country. We are looking to move already, hopefully in the next year or so, but I didn't know if this is what we were to experience wherever we went.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:45 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Since when do elementary school kids do cheerleading for HS events? Whose bright idea was that?

You're in Texas, you say?

Old 10-05-2019, 12:01 PM

No, I grew up in Texas. I live in a suburb outside of Seattle now.

It seems pretty standard up here for 1 evening in Oct to invite the younger kids to learn the cheers and come cheer with the cheerleaders for the 1st half.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:10 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
He wasn't talking about the cheerleader's outfits, but the general dress of high school girls to social events. Around here it looks like a Hooker's Convention. How their parents let them out of the house is beyond me. Either that, or they change somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education