Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,789,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriThere View Post
1. if you have options it is not a good idea to move down to el paso
2. There are shopping centers/grocery stores but very limited. You need to drive at least 4-5 hours to see any great shopping centers/grocery stores.
El Paso has strip malls everywhere. Two major malls, Sunland Park, and Cielo Vista. There's enough grocery stores.

Quote:
3. Health care is not great. Doctors/specialities are limited.
This is true. If you're looking for outstanding healthcare, this is not exactly Boston.
Quote:
4. Even if you move to El Paso, at some point you may want to get out of El Paso.
This is true too, El Paso is transient; it has high taxes, and high water bills, and may not be considered as scenic as some other communities. Also corrupt.

Quote:
No offence. This is reality I guess. It is a great training for Military personnel before relocating to overseas.

My assumption is correct? It will be a great idea, if we can discuss how El Paso is greater than what other US cities where similar problem exists. Or simply what other US cities have these 4 concerns I raised!
But really, you have to judge for yourself, and not take anyone else's opinion as the bottom line. Come for a visit, and decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 07:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
El Paso has strip malls everywhere. Two major malls, Sunland Park, and Cielo Vista. There's enough grocery stores.

This is true. If you're looking for outstanding healthcare, this is not exactly Boston.

This is true too, El Paso is transient; it has high taxes, and high water bills, and may not be considered as scenic as some other communities. Also corrupt.

But really, you have to judge for yourself, and not take anyone else's opinion as the bottom line. Come for a visit, and decide.
All good advice.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,324,164 times
I was in el paso for a week in march it is by far the ugliest/worst place i've been to in the U.S. an enormous sand storm with 75 mph winds greeted me on my first day knocking out satellite signal for the entire hotel, it stank like gasoline the entire time i was there, the food is awful except for cattle baron steakhouse near the airport.. theres like 2 trees within a 100 mile radius the rest is sand. its like 85% mexican and most women i saw were fat. the best part of my trip was when I got on my southwest flight and got the hell out of there. I dont understand why anyone would willingly want to live in such a hell hole.
and my nose bled all week because of the pollution/sand

Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,503 times
Expect;

It is sad that your stay was only within the first five miles of the airport. There is plenty more to
explore and experience than what your are judging the entire city and the beauty of the southwest
landscape and its people.

Best Regards

Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
I was in el paso for a week in march it is by far the ugliest/worst place i've been to in the U.S. an enormous sand storm with 75 mph winds greeted me on my first day knocking out satellite signal for the entire hotel, it stank like gasoline the entire time i was there, the food is awful except for cattle baron steakhouse near the airport.. theres like 2 trees within a 100 mile radius the rest is sand. its like 85% mexican and most women i saw were fat. the best part of my trip was when I got on my southwest flight and got the hell out of there. I dont understand why anyone would willingly want to live in such a hell hole.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Dust storms aren't the most beautiful but our winds are nothing like the winds in other areas, if we have a dust storm, there are tornadoes elsewhere.

There are areas of El Paso that are quite ugly, but you probably didn't see some of the other areas, because some areas are very scenic. For example, coming into town from the west, there are some very nice mesquite trees and other desert trees along I-10. However - we are a desert town so it's not going to be the woods and forests like in other parts of the country.

I think one of the things wrong with El Paso is that the planners just figure they'll do another big tax hike and build some new shopping strip or arena in this or that part of town and fail to listen to what people actually say are the reasons they wouldn't live here. Nor do they listen to businesses' reasons for not relocating here. They think it must be the lack of a large amusement park or stadium.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,108 times
Talking Not so bad

Quote:
You must have never truly been to a good restaurant if you consider Cattlebaron to be good. I travel all the time for work and I seek out the "best" restaurants on Yelp, Urbanspoon, and other such websites. I have to say I'm usually disappointed and always look forward to coming home to some real food.

El Paso might not be "beautiful" by your standards whatever they may be, but it IS the desert. If trees are what you're looking for then head up north. In exchange for green grass and trees we have mild winters, nice summers, and no humidity (which is why your nose was bleeding, it was the dry air not the sand). El Paso has some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen, with skies that turn orange, red, and purple at the same time.

The cost of living in this "ugly" city is amazing. I'd rather own a huge home here than a pricier studio apartment in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Yes, the population in El Paso is largely Hispanic (it IS a bordertown) but the way you say it makes it sound like everyone who lives here just crossed over yesterday. There are many 4th and 5th generation AMERICANS of Mexican descent who don't even speak Spanish. To generalize the way you did is completely ignorant. The Hispanic culture is one of the most welcoming and friendly. You should not make assumptions about communities you know nothing about.

Finally, to address your last concern about the "fat" women here, there are overweight people everywhere! I work out 4 times a week, have a nice toned body, and I'm an educated young professional. I am of half Anglo and half Mexican descent but above all a proud AMERICAN. I am proud of my Mexican heritage although I have blonde hair, to speak of it as a negative thing would be out of pure ignorance.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:29 PM

12 posts, read 44,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPGirl View Post
I work out 4 times a week, have a nice toned body, and I'm an educated young professional.
What is your phone number I'll take you out...

Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
you need to look up "TROLL" definition....let me please....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPGirl View Post
You must have never truly been to a good restaurant if you consider Cattlebaron to be good. I travel all the time for work and I seek out the "best" restaurants on Yelp, Urbanspoon, and other such websites. I have to say I'm usually disappointed and always look forward to coming home to some real food.

El Paso might not be "beautiful" by your standards whatever they may be, but it IS the desert. If trees are what you're looking for then head up north. In exchange for green grass and trees we have mild winters, nice summers, and no humidity (which is why your nose was bleeding, it was the dry air not the sand). El Paso has some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen, with skies that turn orange, red, and purple at the same time.

The cost of living in this "ugly" city is amazing. I'd rather own a huge home here than a pricier studio apartment in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Yes, the population in El Paso is largely Hispanic (it IS a bordertown) but the way you say it makes it sound like everyone who lives here just crossed over yesterday. There are many 4th and 5th generation AMERICANS of Mexican descent who don't even speak Spanish. To generalize the way you did is completely ignorant. The Hispanic culture is one of the most welcoming and friendly. You should not make assumptions about communities you know nothing about.

Finally, to address your last concern about the "fat" women here, there are overweight people everywhere! I work out 4 times a week, have a nice toned body, and I'm an educated young professional. I am of half Anglo and half Mexican descent but above all a proud AMERICAN. I am proud of my Mexican heritage although I have blonde hair, to speak of it as a negative thing would be out of pure ignorance.

Troll: In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4] The noun troll may refer to the provocative message itself, as in: "That was an excellent troll you posted."
While the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, media attention in recent years has made such labels subjective, with trolling describing intentionally provocative actions and harassment outside of an online context. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[5][6]

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llface.svg.png

Last edited by lipbalm; 05-17-2012 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: def.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
I've been stuck in El Paso for 6 years with the Army, and I can't even begin to tell people how horrible this place is. From the almost nightly hit and run accidents, the plethora of drunk drivers, and general disregard of any kind of common courtesy, I can't wait to get out of this stink hole!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso