Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,137 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Does anyone know if El Paso has a Filipino Community? I lived there from 2003-2006 and I remember a small Korean Community, but only a handful of Filipinos. I am considering moving back to El Paso. The weather, people and cost of living in the Northeast (PA) is really starting to erode my happiness. My wife was born in the Philippines. She doesn't have to live in a town with a large Filipino Community like Vegas, or L.A., but she would like to live someplace where she can have a few Filipino friends. Thanks.

-Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
I'd use the search fiction of this site as this question has been asked a lot. There should be a number of threads.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
I'd check out Filipino churches and community groups:

Heart For The World Fil-Am Church - Home
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Filip...s/304548836913

Asian population around EP?

Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
Greetings,

Does anyone know if El Paso has a Filipino Community? I lived there from 2003-2006 and I remember a small Korean Community, but only a handful of Filipinos. I am considering moving back to El Paso. The weather, people and cost of living in the Northeast (PA) is really starting to erode my happiness. My wife was born in the Philippines. She doesn't have to live in a town with a large Filipino Community like Vegas, or L.A., but she would like to live someplace where she can have a few Filipino friends. Thanks.

-Ben
There seem to be enough Filipinos in El Paso to support an association.

Filipino American Association of El Paso, Texas

Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
There was an anniversary mass for Father Ben --- I didn't know there were so many Filipinos -- but there were all kinds of them coming for that. Some from Las Cruces, some from El Paso. I asked a Filipino co-worker about that and he said the military - army base and air force base is what brought a lot of them here and they liked it and stayed. He said there is some group that many belong to -- but he doesn't belong to it because he's not into that kind of thing.

Most the Filipinos here don't have separate churches, they just go to the Catholic churches or other like others do.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There was an anniversary mass for Father Ben --- I didn't know there were so many Filipinos -- but there were all kinds of them coming for that. Some from Las Cruces, some from El Paso. I asked a Filipino co-worker about that and he said the military - army base and air force base is what brought a lot of them here and they liked it and stayed. He said there is some group that many belong to -- but he doesn't belong to it because he's not into that kind of thing.

Most the Filipinos here don't have separate churches, they just go to the Catholic churches or other like others do.
If they're Catholic, not proficient in English (though a lot of them are), but only speak Tagalog and there are enough of them, the diocese could probably find a priest (priests) fluent in Tagalog and offer Tagalog Masses just like they do English, Spanish or any other vernacular language.

I remember tons of Filipinos in El Paso in the seventies and eighties. If the military is what is bringing them in, I would expect the majority of El Paso's Filipino population to be on the northeast and east sides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso