Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 61,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's funny because for all the hype about the west side being so safe, Kern place has the most assaults because of the drunken brawls outside the many bars there, and very recently, two corpses were found near Doniphan, a corpse of a man found in a burned up car on Upper Valley road, two bodies right now are being investigated as "suspicious deaths" on the west side and a girl jogging was attacked and thrown into an irrigation canal with the attacker holding her head under water and biting her -- until she was rescued by another teen.
Well, now you have me wondering if I picked the right part of town But I guess like in every major city, crime can occur in just about any place including the "nice" parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 03:36 PM

340 posts, read 609,229 times
Quote:
It's funny because for all the hype about the west side being so safe, Kern place has the most assaults because of the drunken brawls outside the many bars there, and very recently, two corpses were found near Doniphan, a corpse of a man found in a burned up car on Upper Valley road, two bodies right now are being investigated as "suspicious deaths" on the west side and a girl jogging was attacked and thrown into an irrigation canal with the attacker holding her head under water and biting her -- until she was rescued by another teen.
I don't know what "hype" you are referring to, but a lot of these things you mention were in the Upper Valley - which isn't necessarily the same as the "West Side". The attack on the jogger was some time ago and the two bodies that were found in the home are being investigated as possibly suspicious. And of course an area with a lot of bars will have problems with drunken brawls.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
West El Paso County, not the "West Side", Canutillo isn't even part of (the city of) El Paso proper.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1purtle123 View Post
Well, now you have me wondering if I picked the right part of town But I guess like in every major city, crime can occur in just about any place including the "nice" parts of town.
Don't worry about it. Most of that stuff didn't even happen anywhere near your new neighborhood. Some people just like to be negative.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:53 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Don't worry about it. Most of that stuff didn't even happen anywhere near your new neighborhood. Some people just like to be negative.
And if you get tired of the traffic from the west side to the airport, some parts of the northeast side might suit you. Or better yet, the neighborhoods just south of the airport.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Don't forget the shootout near Canutillo High last week.

Sheriff's Office: Homeowner, deputies exchanged shots in West El Paso County - El Paso Times

"a sergeant pulled over a grey pickup truck... as other deputies arrived to assist, one of the passengers allegedly fled, officials said.

While deputies searched the area in the 6800 block of Steffers Street, a homeowner began to shoot in the direction of the deputies. The homeowner did not know they were deputies because of the darkness, officials said.

The deputies then shot back at the homeowner, officials said.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, officials said.

According to the Texas Penal Code, a homeowner can use deadly force to defend themselves if they are in immediate danger, but they can be prosecuted if they use force recklessly.
Oh yeah -- I forgot that one - and no -- it's not so much about being negative but pointing out that the stereotype of the west side being so much safer than all the other parts of town doesn't hold water.

And no -- no one has to be afraid. It's still safer than many cities.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
I don't know what "hype" you are referring to, but a lot of these things you mention were in the Upper Valley - which isn't necessarily the same as the "West Side". The attack on the jogger was some time ago and the two bodies that were found in the home are being investigated as possibly suspicious. And of course an area with a lot of bars will have problems with drunken brawls.
The attack on the jogger was just last week. Good there was a hero to save her.

It doesn't mean anyone should live in fear but the idea that the west side is safer than the others isn't really the reality. There is less violent crime here but what crime there is isn't in one part of town.

15-year-old boy rescues teenage girl from attacker | News - Home

Police say 18-year-old Brandon Mendoza threw the 16-year-old girl into a ditch.

"He was sitting on her back, submerging her head in water," said Lujan.

Lujan said he couldn't think, and simply acted out of instinct.

"I threw the bike and I yelled stop and he looked at me and he stopped submerging her for a little bit. She put her head up and yelled, 'Help me, help me' and that's when I jumped in," said Lujan.

He said the young girl looked terrified.

"I've never seen that expression on anybody's face before," said Lujan.

The 15-year-old managed to pull Mendoza off the girl but Mendoza didn't let it end there.

"I kept yelling at the guy 'go away get out of here' and he tried coming at me again with his mouth at my neck and I grabbed him by the shoulders and I pinned him down along the side of the levee," said Lujan

Old 06-22-2014, 12:31 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,173 times
Quote:

It doesn't mean anyone should live in fear but the idea that the west side is safer than the others isn't really the reality. There is less violent crime here but what crime there is isn't in one part of town.

15-year-old boy rescues teenage girl from attacker | News - Home

Police say 18-year-old Brandon Mendoza threw the 16-year-old girl into a ditch.

"He was sitting on her back, submerging her head in water," said Lujan.

Lujan said he couldn't think, and simply acted out of instinct.

"I threw the bike and I yelled stop and he looked at me and he stopped submerging her for a little bit. She put her head up and yelled, 'Help me, help me' and that's when I jumped in," said Lujan.

He said the young girl looked terrified.

"I've never seen that expression on anybody's face before," said Lujan.

The 15-year-old managed to pull Mendoza off the girl but Mendoza didn't let it end there.

"I kept yelling at the guy 'go away get out of here' and he tried coming at me again with his mouth at my neck and I grabbed him by the shoulders and I pinned him down along the side of the levee," said Lujan
I think that guy Mendoza told the cops who arrested him he was "hungry." Apparently he was either psycho or on dope.

Crime--or insanity--can happen anywhere.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Oh, sorry about that. I thought that you were referring to an assault on a jogger in the Upper Valley some time ago. I missed this new story. Very creepy.

Although, again, these stories were in the Upper Valley, not necessarily what'd I'd refer to as the West Side, but I don't think anyone ever said the West Side was perfectly safe...

Old 06-22-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
it's not so much about being negative but pointing out that the stereotype of the west side being so much safer than all the other parts of town doesn't hold water.
Well, I don't think anyone - in this thread at least - said that the West Side was "safer than all other parts of town". (But it does seem that some neighborhoods, whatever part of town they are in, have a higher concentration of crime than others.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso