Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4, both my husband and I are Registered Nurses looking
To relocate to El Paso, looking to possibly work at University Medical
Hospital- we have never been to Texas- we like
The safety, the values and we are looking for a
Safe neighborhood for rental, a Christian private
School ( 8 and 3 year old) and if possible to avoid traffic situations (like
Miami has) we are bilingual so language is not an
Issue. Any suggestions is so greatly appreciated. We will
Be visiting El Paso and would like to visit all suggested areas
When we visit. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 12:27 AM

111 posts, read 177,143 times
Definitely recommend the west side of el paso and maybe look into Radford private school. Welcome

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Radford is a good suggestion for private school but it's on the near east side of El Paso adjacent to Ft. Bliss. University Medical Center is in south El Paso on Alameda. If it were me, I'd be looking at one of the older neighborhoods with recently renovated homes in the Memorial Park or Cumberland Circle areas. The west side neighborhoods are not going to be convenient for a student attending Radford, unless they are boarded there or there is a school bus that can shuttle them.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:05 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,832,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Andrea View Post
We are a family of 4, both my husband and I are Registered Nurses looking
To relocate to El Paso, looking to possibly work at University Medical
Hospital- we have never been to Texas- we like
The safety, the values and we are looking for a
Safe neighborhood for rental, a Christian private
School ( 8 and 3 year old) and if possible to avoid traffic situations (like
Miami has) we are bilingual so language is not an
Issue. Any suggestions is so greatly appreciated. We will
Be visiting El Paso and would like to visit all suggested areas
When we visit. Thanks for all your suggestions.
You have a lot of Christian private elementary schools to choose from in El Paso; it basically depends on what your denomination is. The Loretto neighborhood of East-Central, where Radford is, might work, or the Cielo Vista neighborhood around Hawkins Boulevard between I-10 and Montana, or even the Park Foothills neighborhood around Hercules and Hondo Pass Avenues west of Gateway South Boulevard or the East Side neighborhoods around McRae Boulevard. If you're looking to keep your commute to and from UMC short and as un-fraught with traffic congestion as possible, and safety and affordability as well as access to Christian private schools is a concern, I would keep your house search east of the Franklins, north of Interstate 10, and no further east than Wedgewood Drive or further north than Hondo Pass Avenue. And I would not recommend to you anything close to Dyer Street and south of Hondo Pass--on the Northeast Side, really just the Park Foothills area from Hondo Pass south to Atlas Avenue and from Gateway South west to Alabama, Westline and Galena Streets; I think the Mountain Park neighborhood to the west above Alabama and Westline on the mountain would probably be above your price range.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM

135 posts, read 241,199 times
They are building a new Hospital on the West side, already started on it, and they are also building NICE homes all along Trans Mountain too. So I would look there. Also UMC is a short drive down I-10 from the West side.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:35 PM

238 posts, read 420,552 times
Should just try to stay in Miami or move else where. The nurses here are paid below the national average and tend to be slightly cynic. Also if you continue to move here and work at UMC expect to be abused (more than usual) by the administration.

The "private" institutions here are nothing worth spending your money here. The only reason I would send my kids to a private school is for safety reasons. Otherwise, the education is the same as compared to a public education here.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,819 times
Please do not listen to Banal. He seems to think he is too good for El Paso since he has lived in other places. The private schools are great here, but many of the smaller public schools serve their purpose. I would start by picking a school and then choosing a place to live to accommodate that.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 07-01-2014, 10:08 PM

135 posts, read 241,199 times
Where I suggested you live on the West side your child could attend this school district. I like it. The High School next to EPCC Western campus is outstanding.

Canutillo Independent School District / Homepage

Oh and listen to Banal, and every opinion, good and bad, it will give you a realistic idea of El Paso. The Fan Boys and Girls will Cheerleader this place as if no other place is good enough, and only El Paso matters.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
I don't think that as the west side becomes very crowded and congested, that it's any safer than any other part of town. Lately it seems the worst incidents are on the west side, a man found burned in his car, the attack of the jogger by a cannibal who was biting her -- I have hear that poor girl is extremely traumatized. The city overall is quite safe -- but no one part of town is really any safer than the others.

And yes -- listen to everyone because everyone sees it from his or her own viewpoint. Some see everything as perfect here -- some don't. Some like some aspects of this city but not other aspects. At least if you read the good and the bad, you won't be surprised.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 PM

238 posts, read 420,552 times
You also have to consider the culture shock, especially since you are moving from Miami. I have known many people that have lived else where (LA, NYC, SF, Dallas ...) and have moved here due to financial reasons or otherwise. Most of them ended up moving elsewhere or back home due to the massive culture shock they experienced. Although you may fare well as compared to others since you are fluent in Spanish however the night life is terrible, the scenery is desolate and boring, and for the most part the people here are not the most intelligent human beings in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso