Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Man...i thought my hometown El Paso forum here was depressing you ought to read the Tucson Az forum as they are as depressed about their city as we are with ours...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 12:03 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
LOL, I may just do that... might be the pick up I need. ha ha

Old 01-02-2007, 01:02 AM

4 posts, read 22,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Tiger, with all the military flooding in, El Paso is gonna nose dive. Cav and Armor all in one place.. the crime rate is gonna sky rocket. The Freeway is gonna be wall to wall bumbers. El Paso is not ready for all the troops and families that are coming.. niether is Fort Bliss amd they wont be for 10 years. I am a DA cop on Fort Bliss and can only tell you the horror we are facing. We had a MP beat down at the metro just around Christmas.. I see more houses for sale in El Paso daily, people are leaving in mass. If your in the Northeast look at all the freash Gang tagging thats foing on.. look at the crime rate as its rising. The schools are over crowed and they cant builf them fast enough or can afford to build the new ones we need.

I agree with most of what you said. and I hope El Paso gets its shiit together. Alamakookoo is a very ugly city, I thought so.. now Santa Fe, there is a pretty city.
Whether it is going to nose dive or not remains to be seen. I don't really know much about the military moving to Ft. Bliss since I don't live there, though I did hear that El Paso is going to be getting a high tech division or something like that? Maybe you know more about that than me? When is all the new military going to move in? Will it be spread out in years or days? How many troops are moving there? Hopefully it won't be too bad, but who knows...

That Northeast side of El Paso has always had problems with gangs, that is nothing new..though it will probably get much worse with all the new people moving in.

ABQ does have some really ugly hoods, a lot of the city is nice though, but a lot of hoods there are really really ugly. The crime in that city makes it look even uglier to me.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:32 AM

4 posts, read 22,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
A billion dollar Downtown renovation.....LOL Thats freaken hillarious!! Now where is a welfare city like El Paso going to come up with this money? Dream on!
El Paso laggs behind every one of its neighbors in the southwest Tucson, Albuquerque, Phoenix. These cities came up with downtown re-development plans about 10 years ago. Just go to any of those cities and check out their downtown areas....NICE!
El Paso's downtown on the other hand is scary! It looks like a third world country, the whole city is ugly. It looks like things are just built wherever, no planning what so ever.
Say what you want however, El Paso cannot compare to any of those southwest cites....especially in looks.
I believe I read that most of the money is going to be put up with major money from private industries, I'm not so sure what is so funny about that? Lots of private money and tax incentives to large companies to fund downtown El Paso is funny to you? O.K.

As far as lagging behind the other Southwest cities downtowns, I have to agree with you. El Paso needs a major downtown renovation as the current situation there is pathetic, parts of their downtown does look like a third world country. I remember visiting there a lot a few years back and just thinking to myself that all that city really needed was a good downtown, so if they actually end up fixing it up it will improve the life of many El Paso people including some relatives of mine that live there.

El Paso might be ugly to you, but on the other hand it is very nice to me, the mountains there are really beautiful, plus I like the desert a lot so it has that nice desert look around it that I really enjoy. I've been to Phoenix, Tucson, and AlbeQuirky and everyone of those cities also have some really ugly sides to them as well. I'm telling you some of the dirtiest filthiest crime ridden hoods I've ever seen are in Phoenix and ABQ, places that I only thought existed in Compton and Watts (now thats talking about scary).

Old 01-02-2007, 01:35 AM

Well, the numbers keep changing.. We are expecting the 1st Armored Div out of Germany. As well as the 4-1 Cav,(Already here, but now deployed. ) but they will fall-in to the Armor. The numbers we have now are around 40 thousand. And there is now talk of a second Div being sent this way... that is if the Increase in the military is approved. Well we have already had some come in, they will come in over the entire year and part of 2008. And as of right now the move of the ADA to Sill, is at a standstill.. no place to put the soldiers, so we have the troops out in mobil homes out in the far back corner of the post.

the High Tech thing is boeing weapon defense system, and will be more military than civilian based. So no real tech jobs that are not already filled by boeing.

there is also a rumor of basic training out at McGregor range, attached to Fort Bliss.. but I doubt it since most Tradoc is headed to Sill and Lenordwood. outta here.

Well growing up in N.E. I never had any gang problems, but with 2 projects out here ( low income housing ) it has helped feed the gang problems recently. They had a Gang Task Force here, and it really helped.. then they said hey we dont have a gang problem no more, lets get rid of the task force, and its only gotten worse since then.

Oh knowing our city council, and the way this city operates, its gonna nose dive hard.. and whenit does, make sure to come on here let me know.. how right I was. ok. =)

Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 AM

El Paso leaders should go up here to Rio Rancho and find out how they just built a brand new Arena without taxpayers picking up the expense at all Nada.... E.P. has lots of downtown needs but an Arena could be start. Look at Oklahoma city as it used to be the pits so they built an new arena (remember New Orleans/Oklahoma Hornets after Katrina), riverwalk A.K.A. San Antonio style and othet improvements to where now you don't even recognize the old downtown. Heck they even got an Six Flags...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
LOL, I may just do that... might be the pick up I need. ha ha
Yeah i suggested on one of their depressing threads that they ought to get together with us E.P.thread posters and go Bowling....LOL..

Later !!

Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM

harry o, there was talk at one time of moving the Barn aka coliseum out to the North East. but nothing happening now.. we had the hockey team the Buzzards, but the city killed them, and we had the rattlers a inline skate hockey team, city killed them too. we had the diablos, city and owner killed them he sold them off. Someone stepped in and got a new team in a new league together, not as good as the last league. And the new owner was booking all kinds of events in the stadium.

there is also talk of a new Mall in the North East, between Diana, and Trans Mountain being built there at the foot of the mountain. We shall see. Fort Bliss has to go clean the area of unexploded ordenace first.

Also the reason Western Playland moved was because the city wants to build some complex there.. Or Performing arts thing..

the Plaza theater is back open, and its awesome! I wiill say its a gem in the rough. I saw George Carlin there, and I didn't know it was that the plaza theater was that big.. and beautiful.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:

there is also talk of a new Mall in the North East, between Diana, and Trans Mountain being built there at the foot of the mountain. We shall see. Fort Bliss has to go clean the area of unexploded ordenace first.
Thats the first i heard of a mall out there.Not sure what your thoughts on that are but i say go for it as the rest of El Paso has always Shafted us in Northeast. I always thought we should break away from E.P. and formed our own city. That almost happened here in ABQ as the West side hates the East and vice versa but the governor squashed that for now. I forgot about the Diablos getting out of the Texas league and didn't they want us taxpayers to pay for the new canopy and then once installed the ownership bailed. Where's Jim Paul when we need him...

I remember back in the 80's Mayor Jonathan Rodgers (82-90 ?) was trying to built a state of the art arena and rodeo complex to rival Denvers but it got shot down.....

Old 01-02-2007, 03:50 PM

I have heard that Northgate mall will be torn down soon. seems someone wants to build an apartment complex there.

But yeah we shall see if it gets built, remember when they cleared the land there where Wal*Mart is now on Trans mountain? They found them artifacts and it took like 5 years to get someone to come clear them. That was gonna be the mall at first, but the developer grew tired of the BS the city and UTEP had going on at that time.. and pulled out. Wal*Mart moved in.

But I can see it now, they will have to wait till the Military goes in and clears the unexploded bombs off the land there, and then they will have to have someone there to clean up any indian artifacts, and then once thats done they can build that mall.. so it maybe 10 years before we see anything there.

Yeah I remember that.. Rogers was the guy that cut ties too wasn't he?

The best thing that ever happened to N.E. Was the Diablos Stadium being built there, oh and the thing is covered now. And there is stuff all around it.. N.E. is really growing.. if you like i'll get you some snap shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso