Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times

Advertisements

We are being stationed at Fort Bliss. As a mom, Im worried about rattlesnakes and scorpions. Is this a big problem in El Paso? Are there any other poisonous things that I need to be aware of? Are rattlesnake bites usually fatal? I know, it may seem like a silly question. I just want to know if its okay to let kids play in the yard and not have to worry about them being bit by something harmful. Thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 07:35 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
There are tarantulas as well, look for these after a summer rain! I'm no expert, but deaths from snakes are rare, the snakes in El Paso usually can only kill an infant, or an elderly person, or those with weakened immune systems already. They can be very painful though, sometimes disfiguring. Centipedes are poisonous as well and are in El Paso too.

As for scorpions, it will hurt a lot, but won't kill you. If you are worried, get a cat, or dog, they will usually know of these critters before you.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
At work I was told to watch out for black widows. So watch out. And brother, a rattler will kill a Hulk Hogan in his prime.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,412 times
Let me tell you something thats funny and scarey.
I grew up in the south and played with spiders as a child never and I mean never did I get bit.
34 years old move to el paso, we have been here almost a year when one day I feel something painful at the bottom of my foot but nothing is there.
next day the my foot is hurting bad!!! there is a small red spot right in the middle of my foot.
that night go to bed wake up at 5am my whole foot is freaking killing me.
It is now swollen and there are red lines on the top of my foot, I am like freaking out I main pain,pain,pain so I wait till 8am and my dh takes me to southwest urgent care, the dr. walks in takes one look and said "you been bitten" I am shocked and still and pain.
The dr. had to cut it,give me a shot,and put me on like 2 meds for 10days.

So there are spiders here and they do not play well with others

Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
^^^ sounds like a widow. Waited any longer and say bye bye to footy. And the red lines will go to your heart and kills you.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default How dumb was I?

I used to collect Black Widow spiders in jars, feed them ants, roaches, praying mantis, and take them to school! What would teachers do to me these days I wonder?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM

756 posts, read 1,999,412 times
Thats what the Dr. said too.
Well I have always took my shoes off before in go inside, I no longer do that.
The dr. said most likey one got in there in the middle of the night then I put my foot in the next day.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,106 times
I have encountered rattle snakes hiking in the Franklin Mts. (west side). In the city itself, you have nothing to worry about. But things do kick up after heavy rains in the summer - the water forces various creatures out of their holes. Me, I'm a total wuss when it comes to insects, so I have a can of Raid handy and spray any bug that F's with me.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 AM

479 posts, read 1,293,826 times
Oh man.........ok thanks for the info. The black widow bite scares me more than anything LOL. Sacramento california has LOTS of black widow's, and I remember they were all around the outside of my house ~ being a new momma i just knew they were waiting to attack my babies (LOL). I did find a really large black widow in my bathroom/laundryroom on the middle of an empty laundry basket in the middle of the floor. THAT freaked me out as I had a baby that crawled and to think that he could have grabbed it............<<shudder!>>

What would you say is the biggest worry that I should have out of all the creepy crawlies? And, is it safe for kids to play on the floors? You know, say its movie night and im on the couch and the kids are on the floor ~ is that OK or do people generally avoid the floors? ( I hope that doesn't sound like a dumb question, but I know places where people wouldn't want to hang out on the floors)

OH AND THANKS FOR ANSWERING ALL MY QUESTIONS EVERYONE!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:08 AM

507 posts, read 1,659,269 times
You really dont have to worryt about floors
My entire in El Paso i have only seen one rattlesnake in my back yard and it was already dead
Scorpions were always common during the summer but they usually stayed on the ceiling and they werent really dangerous.
There was a centipede that somehow got into my house once, i belieeved because i left my door open
I have never encountered a black widow inside my house, just in the porch.
Usually insects and creepy crawlies came into my house when the insecticide wore off after about a year.
Really, i see no problem keeping your kids on the floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso