Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 04:25 PM

479 posts, read 1,295,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
It's always been like this. I was in Horizon last week to check out some open houses, and my car was parked about 100 feet away and we could barely see it when the wind picked up. We had sand and dirt in our clothes, our pockets, our hair; it kept getting in our eyes, and my friend wasn't used to it, and she opened her mouth to speak to me as we were running toward the car and she got a mouth full of dirt..yuk.

Ya, this wind really does blow
OH THAT BLOWS!!!!! Seriously, Im going to be living in Horizon and wow I was hoping the winds weren't *that* bad!!! darn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,340,785 times
I remember the wind from March '96. That was when the car windows were breaking in the parking lot at WBAMC and I almost got hit by roof. That was a sight to behold......a big section of the roof rolling right in front of me.

Anyhoo...I hope this wind dies down soon. It's very hard to sleep at night with it banging into the A/C. You can just hear the wind rolling down the mountains. Freaky. The wind even broke the tree across the street from me.

alliswell- It's bad in the NE. I believe it's due to the mountains.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:48 PM

479 posts, read 1,295,459 times
are the area's closest to the mountain hit harder than outlying areas? is it just like this in "el paso" or is this a "desert" thing that happens all over in the desert? I mean, for example does it get liket his in alamogordo NM too? they are desert and have mountains too.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM

137 posts, read 474,921 times
I live in Las Cruces and my in-laws live in EP. I asked my mother in law when it will be "gone with the wind" and she said the winds started later this year than usual!! She said the winds are usually dying down by early April, so this might be good news.
I don't know, but I hate the dust all over my house and the constant dirt all over my patio, not to mention my eyes!
Maybe next week will be sunny and wind free!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:57 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,958 times
Since I have been around as well as the other 5 or 6 generations of my family that has lived or lives there in ELP now..the horrible winds last throughout spring..but at least ELP does not have tornadoes or earthquakes like other parts of the US

Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,123,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
That wind really blows . .. . . . get it? Blows. [lol that was going to be the name of my thread, but gotta watch out for them mods, and no it hasnt gotten worst, i just like to exagerrate, cuz i hate these damn winds, they blow!!!!
I know, I know - JK..

alliswell - yes, it can be worse in some parts of the city dependent on many factors such as construction/development, how built up the area is and how mature the landscaping is. Also, I live on the east face of the Franklins and it "shears" down the east slopes like a maniac.

alucard - I remember that particular day. It was pretty scary.

mrsrobinson73 - oh yeah, it's just as bad in Alamogordo and maybe even more so with all the open areas of White Sands.

XChucoresident - I, too, am grateful for small favors. No earthquakes or tornadoes is definitely somethig I can do without.

Phew, now if I can just learn how to do multiple quotes in just one post. LOL

Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 PM

247 posts, read 605,483 times
Yeah last year it seemed the windy season never ended. It supposed to wind down around late April to early May. I'm not ready for the heat. I can take high 80's and 90's but not triple digit heat. I'm just looking forward to the monsoon season so we can get some much needed rain!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliswell View Post
Wow, haven't noticed the winds being *that* bad. Is it worse in some areas of EP than others and why?
Construction I think. I haven't seen dust storms this season yet. I've seen good dust storms in previous years, not lately. Dust storms that look like you're in some old western, tumbleweeds flying at you and dust that makes the sky look brown. Wind so bad that it sands cars like sandpaper but we haven't had anything like that for quite a while.

Just look what people in Arkansas had when all we had was some good breezes.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,282,094 times
Default Mud!

I recall the winds... as I am the one who had to go up on the roof to clean the sump of the evaporative cooler! The pads were caked with dirt, but the funny thing was, I loved the smell of mud in the mornings! HA! Yes, call me weird, but I liked that earth smell that used to happen because of all the dust and sand in the filter pads. But I did not like going up and having to clean.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I recall the winds... as I am the one who had to go up on the roof to clean the sump of the evaporative cooler! The pads were caked with dirt, but the funny thing was, I loved the smell of mud in the mornings! HA! Yes, call me weird, but I liked that earth smell that used to happen because of all the dust and sand in the filter pads. But I did not like going up and having to clean.
I agree with you. The day after a day or two of wind is particularly fresh, almost like a day after a good rain.

Like today. Spectacular. The wind blows any stale air away, the dust and sand scrub it down, and the day or two after the wind are really nice.

If I didn't live here, I would miss the dust storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso