Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,717,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1209 View Post
Very good news for the area as another big retail project breaks ground.

Fort Bliss RETAIL: $100 million shopping center poised to offer unique experience on post - El Paso Times

Why waste the money if Texas is seceding, we should be withdrawing our troops from Texas and moving that border fence north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM

158 posts, read 472,072 times
That's a good point elamigo. I haven't seen any studies published yet (after searching extensively on the internet) on the economical impact on El Paso. I did find some stats quoted in an article but I don't know where those stats came from:

Fort Bliss RETAIL: $100 million shopping center poised to offer unique experience on post - El Paso Times

Quote:
...The center is expected to boost Fort Bliss retail sales from $175 million a year now to more than $350 million by 2012 ...

...the center will be able to draw from about 127,000 "authorized patrons," which includes active and retired military personnel and their families...

It's also expected to generate $5.5 million in sales tax revenue annually by 2012. Currently, most of the retail sales at Fort Bliss are tax free because they are operated by military agencies.

I want to see studies also. TIA to anyone that can find them published somewhere and bring a link here.

I also want to see studies of money that is used for the morale of Soldiers and also their families and how that money is broken down into services for morale by category. This is a very interesting conversation!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why waste the money if Texas is seceding, we should be withdrawing our troops from Texas and moving that border fence north
You must know something I do not. However, I take it as sarcastic remark which is really saying you do not want that project at Fort. Bliss, correct?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,717,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
You must know something I do not. However, I take it as sarcastic remark which is really saying you do not want that project at Fort. Bliss, correct?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Why put more Facilities in a state that doesn't want to be part of the US.
Put it at Ft Carson or Ft Huachuca or Ft Sill
We should be closing bases in Texas

Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I do not know where you got that the State of Texas does not want to be part of the union. I am a resident of Texas and I keep up with what is going on in my state. Who told you that? Has the Texas legistaltors voted to secede?

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,142,814 times
That is the nature of this forum. If one thing happens in the city (or state in this example), then the whole city (or state) is lumped together.

If someone can't sell their house here - then the whole city is dirt poor.
If someone doesn't move away - then the whole city is scared to move away.
If one house has iron bars on its windows - then burglary is overtaking the whole city.

I forget exactly who, but some group wanted Texas to become its own union. So of course, instead of it being that group, now it is "Texas" that wants to secede.

Something about this forum - not sure what it is - that loves negative stances.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
That is the nature of this forum. If one thing happens in the city (or state in this example), then the whole city (or state) is lumped together.

If someone can't sell their house here - then the whole city is dirt poor.
If someone doesn't move away - then the whole city is scared to move away.
If one house has iron bars on its windows - then burglary is overtaking the whole city.

I forget exactly who, but some group wanted Texas to become its own union. So of course, instead of it being that group, now it is "Texas" that wants to secede.

Something about this forum - not sure what it is - that loves negative stances.
You brought up some good points. I also have the feeling Boompa may be a disgruntled Soldier that does not want to live here. If that is the case I have seen those types for the last 31 years. I would not be surprised.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 09-26-2010, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 1,832 times
The new shopping center is a GREAT idea for the fort bliss community, meaning soldiers and their family members. I am a veteran and spouse so I can speak of this first hand. I see alot of people on here complaining about how it will effect the el paso community, but no one is looking at the welfare of the soldiers and how it is a benefit to them. This shopping center is on fort bliss and is made for the fort bliss community. Most of the families cannot even get a job in el paso, because of the inability to speak spanish, not saying most cannot get a job, but a good percent of military spouses are not being even looked at for hire. This shopping center, will hopefully provide many jobs for us, as military spouses and our families. Also if we had it our way, we would not only shopping malls built strictly for military families on military post, but would have our own school built as well, K-12. Not putting down el paso as a city, but military must look out for its own, because for the most part, we are all we got!

Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,832 times
Quote:

well if you look at the history behind texas, it is true that they began as it's own territory, outside of the US. That is why Texas has its own constitution, which is wayyy larger than the US constitution, that is also why Texas has it's own pledge of alliance, which they require the children to learn and repeat every morning after the US pledge of alliance. Not agreeing, to the statement that texas wants to become it's own, but there is alot of history behind texas and their governmental power.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,963,187 times
The threat of secession came from Texas Governor Perry but it's just political grandstanding and posturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso