Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times

Advertisements

El paso's unemployment rate is 5.8% (6.7% last month) and is still the second highest in Texas but it is the lowest its been in seven years. Other cities are San Antonio at 4.0% and Houston and Dallas at 4.1% each and Corpus Christi at 4.3%.

I remember back in the 1980's when it was up at 18%. Lets hope it keeps improving.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 AM

23 posts, read 72,398 times
Default More low wage jobs were available

That what it means. More fastfood establishments in town because of the Eastside expansion. Target hired more low wage workers on the Eastside.
The list goes on and on , but with one important observation. Most of those jobs were low wage in nature. Not much to get excited about here.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:54 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Agree with Logan.. not a surviving wage job improvement.. Also note people moving out lowering the many unemployeed in the area would also drop that number.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 AM

10 posts, read 96,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
El paso's unemployment rate is 5.8% (6.7% last month) and is still the second highest in Texas but it is the lowest its been in seven years. Other cities are San Antonio at 4.0% and Houston and Dallas at 4.1% each and Corpus Christi at 4.3%.

I remember back in the 1980's when it was up at 18%. Lets hope it keeps improving.......
That is good news!

With ADP and EDS currently hiring hopefully we will see that number drop more. Its good to see that two big players in business support selected El Paso to set-up shop.

http://www.expansionmanagement.com/c...64/default.asp

http://www.governor.state.tx.us/divi...005-04-22.0516

Old 04-22-2007, 12:56 PM

What are the two things those links have in common? Bi-Lingual. they are looking for Spanish Speaking people to meet the needs of the thousands of Illegal workers flooding into this country. As well as the many Mexican Americans who refuse to learn English... as countless have done before them. So those jobs will not meet the needs of the many people in El Paso that don't speak spanish. Like myself, a former El Paso native. So as I can see it maybe a good move for the companies to move there to gain the Spanish speakers they need to meet that market share.. it may not be as good a thing for El Paso as a whole. But I hope I am wrong... El Paso needs jobs.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
What are the two things those links have in common? Bi-Lingual. they are looking for Spanish Speaking people to meet the needs of the thousands of Illegal workers flooding into this country. As well as the many Mexican Americans who refuse to learn English... as countless have done before them. So those jobs will not meet the needs of the many people in El Paso that don't speak spanish. Like myself, a former El Paso native. So as I can see it maybe a good move for the companies to move there to gain the Spanish speakers they need to meet that market share.. it may not be as good a thing for El Paso as a whole. But I hope I am wrong... El Paso needs jobs.

ADP's call center is not a call center that accepts calls from the general public. They take calls from a corporation's payroll department for application/software inquires.

EDS's jobs consist of software programming and data analysis from their India offices for their corporate clients.

Not sure how these jobs are meeting the needs of the thousands of illegal immigrants who are taking jobs in the US. Unless these illegals are taking corporate payroll or software programming jobs.

I was offered jobs with both of these companies so I understand the scope of their duties.

With ADP and EDS moving in hopefully other companies will take notice. El Paso has the opportunity to compete as a global player with educated English/Spanish speaking citizens. If the city government is smart they will keep doing the right things in attracting companies such as these and giving their college graduates opportunities to stay in El Paso.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 AM

Just read the two links above. I did.. and thats what I based that opinion off. Why do they need to have Bi-lingual reps if they take only corp. phone calls?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Just read the two links above. I did.. and thats what I based that opinion off. Why do they need to have Bi-lingual reps if they take only corp. phone calls?
I think you need to re-read both articles.

In the first article about ADP it clearly states they will be taking Business to Business support calls.

In the second article about EDS there is no mention of Bi-lingual reps.

Why would a company need Bi-lingual reps if they are only taking corp. phone calls........perhaps its global business support. Its a nice twist, U.S. corporations have to deal with IT teams in India and Brazil for payroll related issues ..... now corporations around the world get to call the U.S. again (El Paso) when payroll support is needed.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM

421 posts, read 2,156,970 times
I currently work at EDS and will tell you that speaking english is a requirement. That's not to say we don't have a lot of spanish speaking people here. Lots of people from Mexico City and Juarez. However, if you can't speak english, you wont get an interview. Simple as that. So the advantage seems to be in the english speakers court, so to speak..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso