Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 05:21 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,191,017 times

Advertisements

This is just wrong-headed and ignorant.

"The race to lead the Texas House of Representatives has taken a religious turn, with some conservatives in the state suggesting that the speaker of the House, who is a Jewish Republican, should be replaced by a "Christian conservative."

Over the past month, in a spate of e-mails and political pitches, conservative opponents of incumbent Speaker Joe Straus have said they want him replaced not because of his Jewish religion, but because of his betrayal of Republican principles.

But several of Straus' critics have noted how important it is that a Christian be named to take his place. These discussions have been made public by a series of media reports, drawing condemnation from some corners and making others in the GOP more than a bit uncomfortable. "

'Christian Conservative' Should Replace Jewish Speaker, Some Texas Pols Say - FoxNews.com

"Cook said his opposition was not about Straus' religion, although he prefers Christian candidates."

SREC Member: "I got into politics to put Christian conservatives into office" - The Texas Observer

That sounds like textbook religious bigotry to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
just wondered from reading the headlines of the story, what does the word "some" mean to you? Your heading makes it sound like all Republicans in Texas want a Christian Conservative to replace him. Nice rty!!!
Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 12:25 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
"conservative opponents of incumbent Speaker Joe Straus have said they want him replaced not because of his Jewish religion, but because of his betrayal of Republican principles."

Fair enough.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:47 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
"conservative opponents of incumbent Speaker Joe Straus have said they want him replaced not because of his Jewish religion, but because of his betrayal of Republican principles."

Fair enough.
"My e-mail said nothing about Jewish people. I just want Christian conservatives in office,"

Ok so the defense is basically I didn't say anything bout Jewish people, I just don't want them in office. Ahh how refreshing.....

Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
While I don't approve of this incident, overall I am more concerned about the anti-semitism coming from the left in this country.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,394,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
While I don't approve of this incident, overall I am more concerned about the anti-semitism coming from the left in this country.
I think you mean anti-Israel not antisemitism especially since most Jews are Democratic.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Texas Republicans want a 'Christian Conservative' to Replace a Jew

Texas Republicans have searched for and found the point of lowest intelligence. They're now busy looking for a shovel.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think you mean anti-Israel not antisemitism especially since most Jews are Democratic.
And most Jews in 1939 Germany considered themselves good Germans.

BTW why on earth would liberals be anti-Israel?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM

888 posts, read 1,187,220 times
Here's why, at least from MY liberal Jewish point of view:

Israeli self-defense.................................YES
Israeli settlements on Palestinian land.....NO

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections