Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 05:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,510,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
just came to my mind: one of my favorite bars in bangkok (which happens to be right next to the arab quarter, where lotsa nigerians and west africans hang out at night) banned west african illegals a couple years ago because they got fed up with them trying to scam customers. would this policy of no west africans (black americans are fine, just not west africans/nigerians) fly in the US or would it be illegal to do this?
You could ban someone if they are scamming customers. You can't ban them because of race or nationality.

If a Chinese guy scammed you out of money at your business you can refuse to serve him specifically but you can't ban all Chinese.

And good luck get your clothes dry cleaned if you make a Chinaman angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You could bansomeone if they are scamming customers. You can't ban them because of race or nationality.

If a Chinese guy scammed you out of money at your business you can refuse to serve him specifically but you can't ban all Chinamen.
what if all of them are criminals tho.

i know not all blacks are criminals but if you're a nigerian hanging out in lower sukhumvit at night you prolly are. never met one who wasnt. thailand has been trying to get rid of them for ages but they cant be deported (no countries willing to accept them). theyll prolly all end up in thai jails eventually.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You're comparing what happens thousands of miles away to what happens here. Very few people know about African on African genocide and slavery, it's just not talked about. If that stuff went on here, all heck would break lose.
IOW, you agree that the degree to which a person cares about a cause depends on how directly it affects them. I just believe that more closeness is required than you apparently do. Science agrees with me.

Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same concept in English(and profanity):

http://www.cracked.com/article_14990...keysphere.html

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 05-15-2011 at 06:13 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 06:11 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Does anyone here know who opposed the Civil Rights Act up for YEARS before it was finally passed?

Think white man.......think racist........think democrat..........think President.
Think Strom Thurmond, democrat, who became a republican in the 60s shortly after the passage of Civil rights legslation.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:22 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,104,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
No, I've seen you and others try to make that point time and again.

I do not believe for a second that you and the other people here stating their opposition to civil rights legislation would be out protesting against discrimination.
That's pretty close to a violation of the TOS. Is this your veiled way of calling us "racist?" I'm an immigrant, in a mixed race marriage with a bi-racial daughter, and your not so subtle smear is really from the gutter and offensive. Shame on you.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You don't?

And we care what you believe because???

Typical Neo Prog tactic; when in doubt shout "racist." It's so hurtful, but I'm becoming calloused to it.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
IOW, you agree that the degree to which a person cares about a cause depends on how directly it affects them. I just believe that more closeness is required than you apparently do. Science agrees with me.

Dunbar's number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same concept in English(and profanity):

What is the Monkeysphere? | Cracked.com

Listen; if any store in America was blatantly discriminatory,(with the possible exception of being anti-Christian) there would be such a backlash that it would go outta business immediately. I would venture to guess that very few people are aware of African on African genocide. Why do you need the government to tell you what you already know? I believe in you more than you do.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What does going to a bar or restaurant have to do with your civil rights?
What you seem to favor is restricting others private property rights to favor your civil rights,and that is wrong.
Your 'right' to be served a beer shouldn't trump my property rights to serve whomever I like.

Why couldn't you just go to some other restaurant?Why would you WANT to go to a place that doesn't want you?
The rights of the many Trump the wishes of the few, if the rights of the many are morally correct all the better.

In your world I would have to walk three miles down the street to get a cold drink instead of around the corner from where I live. Why because dark skin people can't mix with the white people??

My civil rights are such that if you claim to operate an establishment open to the public it means all citizens not just the ones you deem worthy to be called citizens.

If segregation is that important to a business owner then they should open a private establishment and charge membership fees.

In this society ,you only get to discriminate in the manner you want, at the front door of your home.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Think Strom Thurmond, democrat, who became a republican in the 60s shortly after the passage of Civil rights legslation.

so in other words, he was a democrat during the civil rights movement, and George Wallace, what was his political affiliation?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,663,264 times
So you people are telling me that there is no discrimination on the basis of race in the United States?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections