Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 12:44 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,531 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of mixed feeling about the guy, but he honestly stands the best chance IMO. I can see him going a lot further than the other candidates so far. That said, I will still be supporting Ron Paul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 12:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
While I like Perry as a governor;that is nonsense. Obama is pretty much corner and has little power even within his own party now.The fight on what gets done is in the congress.I don't really think that Perry or mnany of the rising stars of the republican party see much in running this time because presidentail power is waning fast after Bush and now Obama.Its the old pendelum. The old guard that may not be able to run again are the serious republicans now. They smell blood and best chance they have had in decades.The young turks are likely to want much like Reagan di in a push and we will see them wanting to speak at the convention to start the push out of the old guard.They already made huge gains in the state houses for their agenda in mid terms.Then of course the moderate dempocrats will already be plannig their push to take back the party committeee post Obam from liberals, Clinton is the one pushing this because he loss it to Obama and the liberal faction.We see them in the congress cutting deals with republican turks to band togetehr already like the gang of six and others in the senate finance committee.Always a power struggle going on from within and tis one is just starting with the issues facing the nation.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I have a lot of mixed feeling about the guy, but he honestly stands the best chance IMO. I can see him going a lot further than the other candidates so far. That said, I will still be supporting Ron Paul.
That is my quandry. I love Ron Paul, but I'm too afraid to put all my eggs in his basket - at this point, anyway.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
While I like Perry as a governor;that is nonsense. Obama is pretty much corner and has little power even within his own party now.The fight on what gets done is in the congress.I don't really think that Perry or mnany of the rising stars of the republican party see much in running this time because presidentail power is waning fast after Bush and now Obama.Its the old pendelum. The old guard that may not be able to run again are the serious republicans now. They smell blood and best chance they have had in decades.The young turks are likely to want much like Reagan di in a push and we will see them wanting to speak at the convention to start the push out of the old guard.They already made huge gains in the state houses for their agenda in mid terms.Then of course the moderate dempocrats will already be plannig their push to take back the party committeee post Obam from liberals, Clinton is the one pushing this because he loss it to Obama and the liberal faction.We see them in the congress cutting deals with republican turks to band togetehr already like the gang of six and others in the senate finance committee.Always a power struggle going on from within and tis one is just starting with the issues facing the nation.
Are you serious? His approvals rating seem to stay steady or go south each week: unemployment is not improving in one iota. Some of the libs think he is a war monger like they though Bush was. I do not think Obama is a shoe in. I do agree some of the very new Republicans are sitting back as they should. They need to make a real name for themselves, ones like Christi and Rubio. As for Perry, this might be his best shot.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
I think those who are behind Paul should keep it up. But if and when he does not get the nomination I hope they will bring themselves to support the candidate that is our Republican choice regardless of who it is.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 02:58 PM

158 posts, read 134,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I like him. Especially telling Obama and Mexico to mind their own businss.

Perry is the only potential candidate who can marry Tea Party rhetoric and Texas swagger with executive success. Yes, Texas has its troubles, but job creation hasn't been one of them. In a year where economy trumps all, this is Perry's ace card. In New Orleans, Perry reminded his listeners that Texas has seen nearly half of all new job growth in the country and that the state's budget has been balanced over the past two years.
But, what makes him an attractive candidate in the primary -- his Tea Party talking points and Lone Star State attitude -- make him vulnerable in a general election. Then there's the fact that despite his years in the political spotlight, his ten-year record as governor of Texas has yet to be seriously vetted on the national stage.Texas Two-Step: Rick Perry Flirts With 2012 Candidacy (The Note) - The Note
Experience is overrated and Perry's record as Governor is very average considering the sustained economic boom the region has seen over the last decade. Further, Perry has cut fundamental services like education to balance his budget. Texas has some of the worst records in education in the entire country.

As for his persona, well, he's got a lot of skeletons in his closet, one of them being his will for Texas to secede. Perry will be a very polarized figure at the national scale, just like Palin was.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
Experience is overrated and Perry's record as Governor is very average considering the sustained economic boom the region has seen over the last decade. Further, Perry has cut fundamental services like education to balance his budget. Texas has some of the worst records in education in the entire country.

As for his persona, well, he's got a lot of skeletons in his closet, one of them being his will for Texas to secede. Perry will be a very polarized figure at the national scale, just like Palin was.
He is a little more experienced at handling the medai, I don't even thing the seceding issue will amount to a hill of beans, in fact some might say he had a good idea (only kidding) I am not here to attrack Palin or anyone else, I think it is childish, but I do put Perry in a different league altogether. Can he win, Heck, who knows at this stage, but I do think he is the best that has come forward (or close to coming forward) Let's see how things look in about 4 or 5 more months.

NIta

Old 07-09-2011, 03:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That is my quandry. I love Ron Paul, but I'm too afraid to put all my eggs in his basket - at this point, anyway.
The fact that you love Ron Paul but cannot see Perry for a slick RINO mimicking GW bush's path to the WH should be of concern to you. Please do your homework.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:28 PM

158 posts, read 134,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
He is a little more experienced at handling the medai, I don't even thing the seceding issue will amount to a hill of beans, in fact some might say he had a good idea (only kidding) I am not here to attrack Palin or anyone else, I think it is childish, but I do put Perry in a different league altogether. Can he win, Heck, who knows at this stage, but I do think he is the best that has come forward (or close to coming forward) Let's see how things look in about 4 or 5 more months.

NIta
I agree. I think he is definitely GOP's best shot, alongside Romney... but no matter who is the candidate, the GOP will have to cut down on the ideology/populism and try to be a little more specific on what they want to do to fix the federal budget.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,571,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The fact that you love Ron Paul but cannot see Perry for a slick RINO mimicking GW bush's path to the WH should be of concern to you. Please do your homework.
He hasn't even said he's running yet - all things in due time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections