Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,715,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Does the rest of America want to be like Texas? Therein lies the reason Perry has no shot.
He could be President of Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
like him or hate him, it certainly looks like he is very close to making an announcement.

Nita

Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,957,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Then start your own d*mn thread about what you want to talk about. That's not what this one is about.
First off you are not a MOD here so you know where you can file your orders to me. Secondly My post is states the truth of the matter, I note it hit a nerve with you so I can assume it was Not what you wanted to hear, the truth does that to some people here. Good.
Casper

Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,324,000 times
I don't think Rick Perry knows how to keep his fundamentalist religion out of his politics and that's what turns me off the most about the guy.

Quote:
"The answers for America's problems won't be found on our knees or in heaven, but by using our brains, our reason and in compassionate action," said Dan Barker, a co-director of the foundation. "Gov. Perry's distasteful use of his civil office to plan and dictate a religious course of action to `all citizens' is deeply offensive to many citizens, as well as to our secular form of government."
Rick Perry's Day Of Prayer Faces Federal Lawsuit

Quote:
While the day of prayer will undoubtedly please many evangelicals β€” a powerful bloc in the Republican Party β€” it has provoked sharp criticism from other quarters, particularly because of its explicit evangelical Christian theme, which sets it apart from National Prayer Days and other events that normally include all faiths.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/us.../12prayer.html

Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,235,907 times
Quote:
That is the purpose of this post. To keep posters from repeating misconceptions about Texas and Perry should Perry run.

Perry is cannier than you think he is. ( Revels in political plays that are initially misunderstood by the press and his critics.)

Perry is from the middle of nowhere. (Parents were tenant farmers, and not just tenant farmers but dryland farmers, which is as hard as farming gets.)

Perry is an Aggie. (Style on the stump is that of the Aggie yell leader β€œAre you fired up?”

Don't discount the luck factor. (Perry’s career: In the right place at the right time.)"
These are the corrections of misconceptions of Perry?

Do people commonly think he's dumb, dull, or slow?

Do they think he's from somewhere in particular, or born with a silver spoon, as opposed to being from "nowhere" born to farmers?

Do they think he's from a different school, or has a different style?

Do they think he is unlucky?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:58 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,960,036 times
Quote:
As a Rick Perry supporter, I have observed some of these mistakes in the media and this forum, already. That is the purpose of this post. To keep posters from repeating misconceptions about Texas and Perry should Perry run. The writer (Paul Burka from Texas Monthly), who has been writing about Perry since the 1980s, expounds on the following 8 mistakes in the article in the hopes that the national news media gets them right next time if and when Rick Perry runs for President.

"...we have endured a disproportionate amount of bad writing about our state from journalists who don’t know very much about the place...)"

"1. Perry is not George Bush. (Don’t assume that because Bush and Perry served together in the Capitol, or because they’re both Republican Texans who wear boots, the two men have a lot in common. They don’t.) The differences are spelled out in the article.

2. It’s not a big deal that Perry was once a Democrat. (When Perry was elected to the statehouse, in 1985, conservative Democrats ran the Legislature.)

3. Perry is cannier than you think he is. ( Revels in political plays that are initially misunderstood by the press and his critics.)

4. Texas is not a β€œweak governor” state.

5. Perry is not a male hair model. (Hard man. Kind of politician who would rather be feared than loved.)

6. Perry is from the middle of nowhere. (Parents were tenant farmers, and not just tenant farmers but dryland farmers, which is as hard as farming gets.)

7. Perry is an Aggie. (Style on the stump is that of the Aggie yell leader β€œAre you fired up?”

8. Don't discount the luck factor. (Perry’s career: In the right place at the right time.)"

The author also puts in a request for reporters to avoid "tin-ear clichΓ©s about barbecue, cattle, oil, football, and the Alamo."

Dear Yankee :: Texas Monthly
I could not get past, Dear Yankee. Obviously the writer is still stuck in the civil war. WHen he catches up to 21st century, then I will start reading what he has to say.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,310,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I could not get past, Dear Yankee. Obviously the writer is still stuck in the civil war. WHen he catches up to 21st century, then I will start reading what he has to say.
Maybe he can bring the rest of the Conservatives with him.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Hotair: I am not quite sure what you are talking about? If it is the reference to "Dear Yankee" yankee is a term many no of the Mason/Dixon line ise themselves?

Nita

Old 07-21-2011, 12:34 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
These are the corrections of misconceptions of Perry?

Do people commonly think he's dumb, dull, or slow?

Do they think he's from somewhere in particular, or born with a silver spoon, as opposed to being from "nowhere" born to farmers?

Do they think he's from a different school, or has a different style?

Do they think he is unlucky?
The writer from Texas Monthly has probably gone through it before with the national Yankee media so he's strinking before the onslaught of reporters show up in Texas, this time, instead of trying to correct the misconceptions later. That's my take on it.

Haven't we already seen the articles and posts that claim Perry and Bush are peas in a pod just because they're from Texas? Like it's some exotic island in the pacific where everyone is from the same tribe and wears the same grass skirt? I don't remember anyone trying to paint Clinton/Huckabee as twins separated at birth. It would be like me saying there no difference between Bloomberg and Giuliani because all New Yorkers look and sound alike.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,960,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Hotair: I am not quite sure what you are talking about? If it is the reference to "Dear Yankee" yankee is a term many no of the Mason/Dixon line ise themselves?

Nita
Maybe, if the play for the New York Yankees. I don't know many people in Colorado, Idaho or North Dakota who refer to themselves as Yankees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections