Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The one and only thing I don't like about Ron Paul is his monetary policy. He advocates a return to the gold standard, which I am skeptical of. I don't think having a gold standard is sound monetary policy when Ft. Knox's gold reserves are alleged to be minimal or non-existent. Paul should monetize silver again in addition to gold and maybe throw in copper or bronze

I'm kinda sorta in agreement. When it comes to the economy, I'm somewhat protectionist whereas Paul is more Anarchist. I have no issue with a fiat economy, just the bank that owns and manipulates it. Essentially we have a foreign bank charging us interest for allowing us to borrow the hot air they pull out of their butts.

As far as I'm concerned the so-called "National Debt" is a load of crap. Tell the Fed to sit and spin, we'll keep the cash. If there's a default then it's between the FED and the Chinese. Not my problem. The Fed engaged in speculative investment when it loaned us something we should have been printing and controlling ourselves. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. That's business!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 01:04 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I'm kinda sorta in agreement. When it comes to the economy, I'm somewhat protectionist whereas Paul is more Anarchist. I have no issue with a fiat economy, just the bank that owns and manipulates it. Essentially we have a foreign bank charging us interest for allowing us to borrow the hot air they pull out of their butts.

As far as I'm concerned the so-called "National Debt" is a load of crap. Tell the Fed to sit and spin, we'll keep the cash. If there's a default then it's between the FED and the Chinese. Not my problem. The Fed engaged in speculative investment when it loaned us something we should have been printing and controlling ourselves. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. That's business!
I agree. After doing research on how our debt-based monetary system works, I'm actually not in favor of cutting the deficit anymore especially since our "national debt" under our system is mostly, if not all, the money in circulation right now. If the feds balance the budget, it might not be good news.

For those that are confused, our money system is based on debt. Our government does not print money, it borrows it from the Fed. The US Treasury prints bonds that the Fed buys and exchanges those bonds with Federal Reserve notes and attaches interest to it. It's basically a loan to the government. That debt money is not in circulation used by all of us.

Basically speaking, if the government keeps "spending" money, the value of it will be reduced since there is too many dollar bills floating around. But if the government stops "spending" money and balances the budget, it reduces the money supply and it deflates the currency.

With that in mind, we're in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I think it was engineered that way. This is how the Great Depression happened. It had nothing to do with the stock market, the Depression was triggered when the Fed called in their "loans" and reduced the money supply dramatically, triggering massive deflation.

I know of no severe depression, in any country or any time, that was not accompanied by a sharp decline in the stock of money, and equally of no sharp decline in the stock of money that was not accompanied by a severe depression.”

-
Milton Friedman

Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 AM

169 posts, read 193,754 times
Quote:
With that in mind, we're in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I think it was engineered that way. This is how the Great Depression happened. It had nothing to do with the stock market, the Depression was triggered when the Fed called in their "loans" and reduced the money supply dramatically, triggering massive deflation
And now the million dollar question is, when is the Fed going to stick a fork in the massively inflated equity market that it has tried so hard to inflate with speculation about inflation, and allow the deleveraging process to occur by contracting the money supply? Lots of money to be taken out by people getting aggressive and hedging in the precious metals market.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:23 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Ron Paul has the wrong solution to the money issue. Its good to see more people seeing that. Here is a chapter from Bill Still's book.

Nathan's Economic Edge: Economic Disinformation

Old 07-24-2011, 09:40 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Sadly enough to say, Ron will NEVER get the Rep. nomination..... he CAN'T be bought by the powers that be ! He is not capable of following the orders therefore will never obtain nomination to one of the only 2 parties the people seem to think exists and vote for.......
You are forgetting that there are more of us than them. WE THE PEOPLE if we are smart enough this time not to vote for who the media/powers that be tell us is "electable" (which is a complete CROCK), we can vote our conscience and vote for Ron Paul or a third party. All of us both Democrat and Republcian who have done this have been BURNED/BETRAYED for who we voted for in recent elections. We were told one thing during the campaign and we got the opposite.

I think people are hurting badly enough now from the economy and figuring out the outright irresponsible decision making in Washington DC that THIS time they'll not be so stupid to listen to the media and instead vote for who they want.

Besides, if public polls that are typically less accurate than private polls are already showing Ron Paul even with the president, and private straw polls showing him generally way ahead of all the other Republican hopefuls, if the trend continues.=, BARRING OUTRIGHT VOTER FRAUD, the powers that be might have to finally take a back seat to WE THE PEOPLE as we RECLAIM our country.

Don't be so intimidated by the powers that be.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Ron Paul has the wrong solution to the money issue. Its good to see more people seeing that. Here is a chapter from Bill Still's book.

Nathan's Economic Edge: Economic Disinformation
I used to be a gold bug until I came across Bill Still. Too much of the world's gold is owned by the central banks and bankers and influential people who don't have the U.S.'s best interests at heart. Sure it's valuable but there's too little of it to for it to be protected by market manipulation by the bankers. Silver, at minimum, MUST be thrown in there as well to protect the currency from manipulation or, have a debt-free fiat currency with a fixed rate of printing every year

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
I agree. After doing research on how our debt-based monetary system works, I'm actually not in favor of cutting the deficit anymore especially since our "national debt" under our system is mostly, if not all, the money in circulation right now. If the feds balance the budget, it might not be good news.

For those that are confused, our money system is based on debt. Our government does not print money, it borrows it from the Fed. The US Treasury prints bonds that the Fed buys and exchanges those bonds with Federal Reserve notes and attaches interest to it. It's basically a loan to the government. That debt money is not in circulation used by all of us.

Basically speaking, if the government keeps "spending" money, the value of it will be reduced since there is too many dollar bills floating around. But if the government stops "spending" money and balances the budget, it reduces the money supply and it deflates the currency.

With that in mind, we're in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation and I think it was engineered that way. This is how the Great Depression happened. It had nothing to do with the stock market, the Depression was triggered when the Fed called in their "loans" and reduced the money supply dramatically, triggering massive deflation.

I know of no severe depression, in any country or any time, that was not accompanied by a sharp decline in the stock of money, and equally of no sharp decline in the stock of money that was not accompanied by a severe depression.”

-
Milton Friedman
Say WHAT? A reduced value of the dollar is the same thing as a deflated currency. We aren't damned if we do and damned if we don't. We are a lot more damned if the government keeps on spending like drunken sailors. We don't benefit one red cent from them doing that. Only the government and the banksters benefit.

Ron Paul is the only one with a clue as to how to have the dollar regain purchasing power which would be to STOP EXPANDING the money supply. This would man NO NEW SPENDING for Congress and NO MORE BAILOUTS OR QUANTITATIVE EASING FOR THE FEDERAL RESERVE.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
You are forgetting that there are more of us than them. WE THE PEOPLE if we are smart enough this time not to vote for who the media/powers that be tell us is "electable" (which is a complete CROCK), we can vote our conscience and vote for Ron Paul or a third party. All of us both Democrat and Republcian who have done this have been BURNED/BETRAYED for who we voted for in recent elections. We were told one thing during the campaign and we got the opposite.

I think people are hurting badly enough now from the economy and figuring out the outright irresponsible decision making in Washington DC that THIS time they'll not be so stupid to listen to the media and instead vote for who they want.

Besides, if public polls that are typically less accurate than private polls are already showing Ron Paul even with the president, and private straw polls showing him generally way ahead of all the other Republican hopefuls, if the trend continues.=, BARRING OUTRIGHT VOTER FRAUD, the powers that be might have to finally take a back seat to WE THE PEOPLE as we RECLAIM our country.

Don't be so intimidated by the powers that be.

Quote from above post:

''WE THE PEOPLE if we are smart enough this time not to vote for who the media/powers that be tell us is "electable" (which is a complete CROCK), we can vote our conscience and vote for Ron Paul or a third party. All of us both Democrat and Republcian who have done this have been BURNED/BETRAYED for who we voted for in recent elections. We were told one thing during the campaign and we got the opposite.''

Emily, how can you possibly think the 'sheeple'....those 100 million or more people who blindly voted for Obama, will suddenly become ''smart enough this time'' ...and find a good choice to elect.

Amazing....

Old 07-24-2011, 10:00 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Rasmussen poll: Ron Paul trails Obama by 4 percent, trails Romney | The State Column

Not electable? Think again!

Great news for those who support liberty!
Get back with me when Ron Paul actually wins a primary. He's not going to win Iowa. It will be interesting to see how well he does in New Hamphsire. He's probably not going to do well in South Carolina, or Florida. The question then becomes how does this guy continue to get financial support if he falls behind early?

Old 07-25-2011, 05:20 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Say WHAT? A reduced value of the dollar is the same thing as a deflated currency. We aren't damned if we do and damned if we don't. We are a lot more damned if the government keeps on spending like drunken sailors. We don't benefit one red cent from them doing that. Only the government and the banksters benefit.

Ron Paul is the only one with a clue as to how to have the dollar regain purchasing power which would be to STOP EXPANDING the money supply. This would man NO NEW SPENDING for Congress and NO MORE BAILOUTS OR QUANTITATIVE EASING FOR THE FEDERAL RESERVE.
If the federal government stops spending then which part of the economy picks up the slack in terms of making up for the lost GDP?

The point I'm making is that federal spending needs to be reduced GRADUALLY. The worst thing you can do to an economy that is slowly coming out of an economic downturn is to drastically reduce government spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections