Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:19 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,660,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No, what Cain said is: that Congress would need a 2/3 majority to increase the tax percentage. He used phrases like "The American people will hold Congress to the fire"...
Please... last time I checked the American people have not only had their eyebrows singed, they've been fried to a crisp with the actions of Congress You do remember, 97 percent of the American people were AGAINST TARP.

It's another tax, without getting rid of the first one. Cain is touting himself as the math guy but he doesn't have a clue about the bigger picture of a tax system.

He wants us to wait to see what's behind door number two for an appointment to replace Bernacke, all the while defending the Federal Reserve.

He touts CEO's that he can not mention that will be part of his team... A "you'll just have to wait and see" attitude. I hear CEO's do that a lot with employees... we used to call it "dangling the carrot" - today we just call it what it is - bull****ting

Pizza man may be on the rise, but his tax plan falls flat.
And with it...and his CEO Garbage proposal....the pizza man will fall flat, too!!

The 'race card' he played...was the revealing exposure about this guy's character, or 'Lack of!'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
I find it to be a big deal when packaging gets smaller ie: the price going up as well as the obvious increases in food prices.

I don't see how a federal food tax would be different for those that already pay tax on food and those of us that don't pay tax on food. 9% increase is a 9% increase.

I agree that I don't think Cain will hold on, once more people realize that the average American will see the worst of his tax plan.

The thing that is alarming to me about the food issue is, I buy most of our food in bulk from a family run company that does it's best to bring us low prices. Just in the last month, I have seen some basics like beans and corn go up between 25-30%. These are bulk packaging where we don't usually see that kind of jump.
I pretty much agree with you on some of this: yes, many things have increased, but my comment was more to debate how many things have gone up 30%, in just 3 months. I think that was a total exagertaion. I am a frugal shopper as much as anyone. I can probably tell you the price of everything I buy and where it is the cheapest. I use coupons when it is worth it (often not) buy in bulk if it is worth it and we eat very well. Our $$ would go even further if we didn't enjoy quality food. My hobby is cooking and I cook what we want, even though I do watch the pennies.

As for the down sizing of packaging, I think that is something that has all of us upset. I can't remember what it was the other day, but I noticed a can that was a lb originally is now 11 oz. Oh, I know what it was: frozen salmon patties. I used to buy a package and we had 2 meals, now it is just 1 meal or just over 5 oz per person.

Nita

Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 AM

313 posts, read 834,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I pretty much agree with you on some of this: yes, many things have increased, but my comment was more to debate how many things have gone up 30%, in just 3 months. I think that was a total exagertaion. I am a frugal shopper as much as anyone. I can probably tell you the price of everything I buy and where it is the cheapest. I use coupons when it is worth it (often not) buy in bulk if it is worth it and we eat very well. Our $$ would go even further if we didn't enjoy quality food. My hobby is cooking and I cook what we want, even though I do watch the pennies.

As for the down sizing of packaging, I think that is something that has all of us upset. I can't remember what it was the other day, but I noticed a can that was a lb originally is now 11 oz. Oh, I know what it was: frozen salmon patties. I used to buy a package and we had 2 meals, now it is just 1 meal or just over 5 oz per person.

Nita
I don't think that anyone was saying that the majority of food had gone up 30%. There has been a noticeable increase in food prices and the scam of shrinking packages. I noticed a few items (could be more but I don't pay attention to every item, I just happened to notice these) from my food co-op did go up almost 30% last month. That is a huge amount in a short time and these were basic foods. This is alarming to me. The same people that predicted the housing bubble and the tech bubble have been predicting massive inflation.

Couponing can really be worth it depending on what you buy. I used to do extreme couponing and would get many items for free or for very little money and sometimes even got paid to take things out of the store. We changed how we eat though and only purchase whole, natural foods now. I make pretty much all of our meals from scratch and we buy a lot of food in bulk to get the best deals.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Cain versus Obama, only a hard left moron would vote for Obama. I think Cain could beat him easily though he will have to deal with some heavy bias bs attacks from Hollywood and the news media.

NOW CAIN PLAN

$20,000 13% 17%

$50,000 17% 18%

$300,000 28% 16%

Only a hard left moron and an INTELLIGENT low-wage worker would vote for Obama.

If you can explain why someone earning $20,000 should pay a higher federal tax rate than Americans making $300,000 I would love to hear it.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:35 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Video - GOP Candidate Herman Cain on How 9-9-9 Can Fix the Economy - WSJ.com

It's 14 minutes long and worth watching. He explains the 9-9-9- plan and debunks the idea that it is regressive, among other things.
If you are a business owner you'd get killed under King Cain. Notice he's clueless or just wants to cover up for the banksters (because of course he is one). (The last thing he'd do would be to re-instate Glass Steagall which we definitely need to keep banksters from speculating and doing other things besides plain old banking). He mentions NOTHING about FREEDOM or REPEALING THE PATRIOT ACT and he talks as if this is still the land of opportunity. When he started his pizza parlors we were still a free country. The country is very anti-small business right now and he seems in denial about it.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:20 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
He said in the video that it would be on food. It would not be on things that were being resold like houses and cars that were previously owned.
So with his plan the people on limited income and the poor are hurt more since food isn't currently taxed.

All this coming from the man who said the economy was fine on September first and 2 weeks later

-Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were taken over by the U.S. government (Sept. 7);
– Merrill Lynch was sold to Bank of America;
– Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy;
– The Fed bailed out AIG;
– Washington Mutual was sold to JP MorganChase;
– Treasury Secretary Paulson said the economy was so bad that $700 billion must be spent on bailouts immediately; otherwise, warned Ben Bernanke, “we may not have an economy on Monday.”

Old 10-10-2011, 07:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I don't think that anyone was saying that the majority of food had gone up 30%. There has been a noticeable increase in food prices and the scam of shrinking packages. I noticed a few items (could be more but I don't pay attention to every item, I just happened to notice these) from my food co-op did go up almost 30% last month. That is a huge amount in a short time and these were basic foods. This is alarming to me. The same people that predicted the housing bubble and the tech bubble have been predicting massive inflation.

Couponing can really be worth it depending on what you buy. I used to do extreme couponing and would get many items for free or for very little money and sometimes even got paid to take things out of the store. We changed how we eat though and only purchase whole, natural foods now. I make pretty much all of our meals from scratch and we buy a lot of food in bulk to get the best deals.
well we some things eye to eye. I too buy in bulk if I have room to store it and I cook 90% from scratch. I do use frozen sometimes, like fish of course. If we depended on fresh we would eat fish. We don't exactly live on the coast.. Yes, the poster was indicating most things have gone up 30% in the past few months, that is the only thing I was referring to and yes, I am very much aware of when to use and not use coupons. If you do cook from scratch and there are only 2 in the family, plus the days of double and triple coupons being about gone, it isn't nearly as profitable as in years past, plus some of the less expensive and bulk store like Sams, Costco, and ALdis do not accept coupons.

Nita

Old 10-10-2011, 08:24 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Many things have gone up FAR MORE than 30%. I buy ground lamb to make cat food and that has gone from $ 4.99/lb to $7.99/lb in a year or 60%!

Heirloom organic tomatoes have been as high as $6.99/

Three years ago I remember being able to buy Wild Alaskan Salmon for $5.99 a pound on sale. Now it is over $20./lb! That is more than a 300% increase in 4 years.

I used to be able to get a freshly baked muffin from Whole Foods for 79 cents 4 years ago. Now it is $1.89.

It is getting ridiculous.

Sorry but Herman Cain is out of touch with the reality of the economy and his stupid tax plan won't make a bit of difference -- especially as long as he keeps siding with the banksters and doesn't want to even audit the Federal Reserve or repeal the Patriot Act. Herman Cain gets two thumbs down as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:41 PM

812 posts, read 595,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Many things have gone up FAR MORE than 30%. I buy ground lamb to make cat food and that has gone from $ 4.99/lb to $7.99/lb in a year or 60%!

Heirloom organic tomatoes have been as high as $6.99/

Three years ago I remember being able to buy Wild Alaskan Salmon for $5.99 a pound on sale. Now it is over $20./lb! That is more than a 300% increase in 4 years.

I used to be able to get a freshly baked muffin from Whole Foods for 79 cents 4 years ago. Now it is $1.89.

It is getting ridiculous.

Sorry but Herman Cain is out of touch with the reality of the economy and his stupid tax plan won't make a bit of difference -- especially as long as he keeps siding with the banksters and doesn't want to even audit the Federal Reserve or repeal the Patriot Act. Herman Cain gets two thumbs down as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't you buy your cat, catfood, grow your own tomatoes, buy a fishin pole and eat cinnamon on toast, learn to sing the national anthem and raise Cain!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM

812 posts, read 595,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
NOW CAIN PLAN

$20,000 13% 17%

$50,000 17% 18%

$300,000 28% 16%

Only a hard left moron and an INTELLIGENT low-wage worker would vote for Obama.

If you can explain why someone earning $20,000 should pay a higher federal tax rate than Americans making $300,000 I would love to hear it.

You would become a part of the legion of givers and not takers only. Feeling vested in your country could eventually raise your salary as attitude is everything. However, I would submit to you that the plan would have provisions that remove the $20K a year earnings from paying 17% and remember the plan calls for no payroll tax which negates your comparison for the low wage earner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections