Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times

Advertisements

I can't stand the guy. I think he's a flake who flip flops on many issues. He could jump through the rings of fire and I still wouldn't vote for him.

I'm also a non-denominational Christian, who grew up as attending an independent Baptist church.

But can someone tell me what his religion has to do with his viability as a GOP candidate? The latest statement by a Rick Perry supporter calling for thumbing down Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon reeks of bigotry and hypocrisy since most Baptists groups in the United States, actively promote the separation of the church and state.

Have we really gone backwards as a country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times
It has nothing to do with it. That sort of political low blow might just backfire also. Having been raised a Southern Baptist, I know many people who are affiliated with the Southern Baptists and I have not had one yet tell me Mormonism is a cult or that it would stop them from voting for Mitt Romney.

This pastor who made these ignorant statements is the pastor of one of the largest Southern Baptist churches in Texas and he is a friend of Rick Perry's. He is also an embarrassment to Christians IMO. I would respect Rick Perry much more if he would come out and denounce this person and his hateful remarks. He did state that he doesn't agree, but it was very weak and he approved this man's introducing him at the Values Voter's conference so I am sure he knew what his remarks would consist of. This is very disappointing.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:36 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Having been raised a Southern Baptist, I know many people who are affiliated with the Southern Baptists and I have not had one yet tell me Mormonism is a cult...
Hang out over on the Religion & Philosophy or Christianity forums for a day or so and you'll hear this sentiment expressed constantly. I'm glad you're not like a lot of the people I run into over there, dixiegirl.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-09-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 01:46 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Hang out over on the Religion & Philosophy or Christianity forums for a day or so. I'm glad you're not like a lot of the people I run into over there, dixiegirl.
You're right. The Religion & Philosophy forum makes POC look like a lemonade stand on a summer day. Heck, one thread is arguing about the crusades. I like my religion lite, keep it in the here and now, and I could care less if Romney was raised a Mormon.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It has nothing to do with it. That sort of political low blow might just backfire also. Having been raised a Southern Baptist, I know many people who are affiliated with the Southern Baptists and I have not had one yet tell me Mormonism is a cult or that it would stop them from voting for Mitt Romney.

This pastor who made these ignorant statements is the pastor of one of the largest Southern Baptist churches in Texas and he is a friend of Rick Perry's. He is also an embarrassment to Christians IMO. I would respect Rick Perry much more if he would come out and denounce this person and his hateful remarks. He did state that he doesn't agree, but it was very weak and he approved this man's introducing him at the Values Voter's conference so I am sure he knew what his remarks would consist of. This is very disappointing.
This was Perry's knife in the back to Mitt Romney. He couldn't personally do it, so he had one of his Texas shills do it for him. The fact that he didn't immediately denounce the pastor publicly, speaks volumes.
From my point of view it's refreshing to see that republicans are just as vile and mean spirited with each other as they are with the Obama Administration.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
This was Perry's knife in the back to Mitt Romney. He couldn't personally do it, so he had one of his Texas shills do it for him.
Let's call it an "attempted knife in the back," since it will do more to harm Perry than it will Romney. It actually speaks volumes about Perry's own "Christian values," in my opinion.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Let's call it an "attempted knife in the back," since it will do more to harm Perry than it will Romney. It actually speaks volumes about Perry's own "Christian values," in my opinion.
Agreed.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I can't stand the guy. I think he's a flake who flip flops on many issues. He could jump through the rings of fire and I still wouldn't vote for him.

I'm also a non-denominational Christian, who grew up as attending an independent Baptist church.

But can someone tell me what his religion has to do with his viability as a GOP candidate? The latest statement by a Rick Perry supporter calling for thumbing down Mitt Romney because he's a Mormon reeks of bigotry and hypocrisy since most Baptists groups in the United States, actively promote the separation of the church and state.

Have we really gone backwards as a country?
You can say a Rick Rerry Supporter said such and such, maybe so did a paul supporter or an Obama supporter. Please do not try to lump all supporters of any candidate together. What one does isn't what the majority would do.

Nita

Old 10-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You can say a Rick Rerry Supporter said such and such, maybe so did a paul supporter or an Obama supporter. Please do not try to lump all supporters of any candidate together. What one does isn't what the majority would do.

Nita
This is true, Nita and you make a good point but overlook one important fact. The pastor in question was the introductory speaker for Rick Perry at a Evangelical Baptist gathering. That puts his comment above and beyond some fringe supporter. In fact he effectively stole Perry's thunder as his message got lost and was overshadowed completely by the pastors ill timed comments.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Mormons have always been looked at as a bit of a kooky religion. Also the jesus vote is a fairly large section of the GOP and the southern evangelicals are the bread and butter of this, even though they are usually more nuts than anyone. Perry's ship is sinking and he's looking for anything to gather support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections