Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
Yes 6 37.50%
No 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:12 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times

Advertisements

I've had workplace sexual harassment training several times as part of orientation, and never have been taught that holding a door open for a woman could be grounds for harassment. In fact, where I work, men and women hold the door open for each other. My workplace is mostly office-place military and government, and you know they have regulations. I'm not saying nobody in America has ever been accused for holding a door open, but it's not in the definition of harassment wherever I've worked (big corporations, small businesses, etc).

Now if a guy kept hanging around a particular women, opening the door for her, saying "let me get that for you" whenever she's carrying something, and generally showing undue attention to someone who is made to feel uncomfortable by it, that could be harassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
This has to do win Cain.

I was talking with a guy at work this morning about these trumped up allegations.
How do you know they are trumped-up?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There must have been a pretty good case if his lawyers settled out of court.

Any female who risks her own job security (overtly or nonovertly) by going to HR to make an allegation is doing so with reason.
yeah, M O N E Y....which drives most people to do what they do...

Old 11-02-2011, 07:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times
I like what Hustler publisher "Larry Flynt" said about sexual harrassment. His definition is requirng someone to sleep with the boss or your fired is harrassement. Anything else is "Just trying to get laid".

Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
How do you know they are trumped-up?
How do you know they're not? funny, how it comes out now, isn't it. Like I said before, if Cain starts gaining popularity, they are going to try and smear him. What resonated with a whole lot of people was, when he stood up and talked about his cancer, and how he had choice of insurance coverage, he said if he would have been under Obamacare, he'd be dead now, that didn't sit well with a whole lot of corporations...

Cain speaks his mind, no matter how unpopular his words are, and that is what resonates with me...did you google him and look at his background? That is what they fear, and the fact that he won't be a puppet...and I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP started these rumors....not in the least...b/c they want a patsey in there....not someone like Cain...

Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Don't be fooled. The purpose of HR is to keep the company from being sued, not trying to make everyone feel comfortable. They care more about cutting legal expenses thatn people's welfare. That's their purpose. Long story short, it's not harassment unless someone tells you to stop. If you do it a second time, it's harassment.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Don't be fooled. The purpose of HR is to keep the company from being sued, not trying to make everyone feel comfortable. They care more about cutting legal expenses thatn people's welfare. That's their purpose. Long story short, it's not harassment unless someone tells you to stop. If you do it a second time, it's harassment.
You are absolutely right!!!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
It's not a matter of opinion , it's a matter of law.

Individual experiences and/or solutions with individual employers has NOTHING to do with it.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Forget Cain, I think every man on the forum would appreciate some understanding of what women subjectively think crosses the line.

Like "Hey, did you change your hair? It looks great."

I've had some HR people say that even the most innocuous comments could be sexual harassment...
No kidding, its so hostile now, a lady at my work place lost a lot of weight and is looking very fit, I was going to compliment her, but due to the current PC climate I decided not to say anything.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
No kidding, its so hostile now, a lady at my work place lost a lot of weight and is looking very fit, I was going to compliment her, but due to the current PC climate I decided not to say anything.
And what's wrong with that?

Did you think she wanted a compliment from you? Maybe she didn't give a rat's patoot what you thought and didn't want to hear it......

you did the right thing!

Her body is NONE of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections